Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 05:25:00 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.  (Read 7561 times)
A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 1.13

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2012, 11:06:53 pm »
Ignore

I wish Rice was pro-life or Romneys pro-life record was more acceptable to the base. Romney/Rice would be difficult for Obama to defeat, though I doubt she would accept.

I wish Martinez had more time under her belt, but she's my top pick. Will do well with minorities, women, the west, and Tea Party, categories Mitt has to improve on. The pro's outweigh the con's.

Rice wants to be VP. She's jumped started her ID this past year and is fueling the speculation that she should be a choice. I think she'd be good. Even though I'm pro-life and don't find Romney acceptable there, I would be very happy with her on the ticket. She's competent, a leader, woman, minority, experienced in foreign affairs, popular. She doesn't have a family though, but I don't think that would hurt her with the base.

I also love Martinez, if only she was elected in 08 or this were her second term. Still, she seems very clear she doesn't want it, and not just a politician's answers, she seems very sincere in her "no". Eh, 2016 woo

milhouse24
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2012, 11:14:10 pm »
Ignore

I'm starting to think Tim Pawlenty might be chosen.

If I may ask, what exactly do you think he brings to the ticket?

Normalcy. He's not a crazy pick, it shows Romney is serious. Look at the last 3 defeated vp candidates: Palin, Edwards, and Lieberman. They were all picked to win, not really to help govern.

Pawlenty is conservative enough to please the base, but appealing to independents. He could help in MN, WI, possibly MI.

No he would not help in Minnesota, where no ones cares about him anymore except people who really hate him, or in Wisconsin and Michigan, where no one cares about him period, and probably no one knows who he is except a few who might remember him from his trainwreck of a Presidential campaign and silly movie trailer ads.

However he is a "safe" and non-controversial choice.

T-Paw is the safest choice who has already been nationally "vetted" by the media since his presidential run, so there won't be any "shocking scandals" left to uncover, which may doom portman, thune, or rubio. 

But T-Paw will absolutely not help in any way or with any votes.  If he goes super-christian with the media, he might be able to help Romney's base supporters. 

But the good thing is he will "do no harm" 
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2012, 11:17:30 pm »
Ignore

Look at Condi:

Pros:

* Foreign policy experience
* Well-known
* Minority
* Woman
* Highly qualified and vetted
* Not a politician

Cons:

* Links to Bush administration - while I think it'll be irrelevant in most circumstances, being the SOS and the NSA could lead to scandals on Iraq.
* Pro-choice
* Not a politician
* Black woman - though the states where this matters probably will vote Romney anyway.
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2012, 11:20:55 pm »
Ignore

Con: Pants on fire lying to get us into a $1 trillion war.
Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2012, 05:47:55 pm »
Ignore

Look at Condi:

Pros:

* Foreign policy experience
* Well-known
* Minority
* Woman
* Highly qualified and vetted
* Not a politician

Cons:

* Links to Bush administration - while I think it'll be irrelevant in most circumstances, being the SOS and the NSA could lead to scandals on Iraq.
* Pro-choice
* Not a politician
* Black woman - though the states where this matters probably will vote Romney anyway.

Major con: Useless, bordering on detrimental, for any campaign wanting to focus on the economy as an issue. Picking someone who's background is entirely foriegn policy oriented when the economy strains to recover would strike voters as tone deaf.

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2012, 05:57:46 pm »
Ignore

The only reason I can see not to pick Rubio is he might overshadow/outshine Romney. As the last election showed, there is a different percieved gravitas between a first-term Senator and first term governor. Rubio gets a leg up over Martinez there. Don't know how she presents on camera and public speaking, but Rubio does so quite well indeed. He would likely pass the "voter comfort test".

Ironically, Palin's dismal performance may help him there. He'll initially be compared to Palin (statewide officeholder for only 2 years before tapped for Veep), and Rubio is at the opposite end of the spectrum in poise and speaking ability. The comparisons would only help elevate him.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2012, 06:15:15 pm »
Ignore

Rubio doesn't want it. Rice doesn't either. I'm still predicting it will be Jindal or Ryan.

7.35, 3.65

Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par laction.  - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2012, 06:44:26 pm »
Ignore

Rubio is charismatic but too inexperienced.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:33:05 pm by Mitt Romney, Economic Heavyweight »Logged

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25:40 pm »
Ignore

The only reason I can see not to pick Rubio is he might overshadow/outshine Romney. As the last election showed, there is a different percieved gravitas between a first-term Senator and first term governor. Rubio gets a leg up over Martinez there. Don't know how she presents on camera and public speaking, but Rubio does so quite well indeed. He would likely pass the "voter comfort test".

Ironically, Palin's dismal performance may help him there. He'll initially be compared to Palin (statewide officeholder for only 2 years before tapped for Veep), and Rubio is at the opposite end of the spectrum in poise and speaking ability. The comparisons would only help elevate him.

Martinez seems extremely authentic. She could look women in the eye and connect. She's no Sarah Palin. And I don't think she's a risk, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek3OSIQVYQE

You gotta admit--she's good. She's my choice for the 2020 Republican primaries.

RG Fritz
JLD
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2012, 01:29:53 am »
Ignore

It has to be someone whose last name begins with the letter R like Romney.

Either Rubio, Ryan, or Rice.

redcommander
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2012, 02:05:05 am »
Ignore

Martinez seems extremely authentic. She could look women in the eye and connect. She's no Sarah Palin. And I don't think she's a risk, either.

She genuinely doesn't seem to want it though.
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2012, 02:33:55 am »
Ignore

It has to be someone whose last name begins with the letter R like Romney.

Either Rubio, Ryan, or Rice.

So that he can keep his big R? Maybe Cain will offer to change his name to Rain so that he can be a possibility.
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2012, 02:40:54 am »
Ignore

She genuinely doesn't seem to want it though.

Well, everyone knows she'd quit part way through her term.
All In For KC
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2012, 11:27:00 am »
Ignore

Question: Does anyone know just how pro-choice Rice is?

I'm thinking, if she's solidly pro-choice, Roe v Wade is good, I think that'll be a very difficult sell to the base that Romney needs to turn out. However, if she said "I'm personally pro-choice, and believe that decision should be made at the state, not federal level" could possibly make things better. Meh?

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2012, 12:39:41 pm »
Ignore

I was under the impression that she thinks Roe v. Wade struck an okay balance but was totally okay with Bush's abortion policies because it was definitely a terrible thing that really had to be discouraged. Sort of seemed like a more libertarian approach to it.

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2012, 12:58:16 pm »
Ignore

Rice is single and never married, which shouldn't matter, but would, obviously. As with Elena Kagan, people are going to unfairly assume she's a lesbian.

<peeperkorn> this forum is full of allergic virgins with nosebleeding
retromike22
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2012, 04:46:13 pm »
Ignore

On the scale of 1 to 10, how grumpy would the conservatives get if Romney picked someone who was pro-choice?

I wrote and directed my own movie. It's about an intern, a doctor, a mayor, a cross dressing prostitute, farmers, aliens, and zombies:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=181696.0
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2012, 04:58:06 pm »
Ignore

On the scale of 1 to 10, how grumpy would the conservatives get if Romney picked someone who was pro-choice?

12. Romney has said pro-choicers are not even being considered.

7.35, 3.65

Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par laction.  - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Bull Moose Base
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2012, 05:25:30 pm »
Ignore

12. Romney has said pro-choicers are not even being considered.

That's the first thing I've read that makes me think Romney's going to pick a pro-choice running mate.
GLPman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2012, 06:22:29 pm »
Ignore

I don't think Rice is completely out of consideration, but it would really surprise me if she did end up as the pick.

Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2012, 07:10:58 pm »
Ignore

Rubio doesn't want it.

Are you kidding? On what possible basis do you make that leap of faith?

Citizen Superique
Superique
YaBB God
Brazil

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2012, 09:20:55 pm »
Ignore

Condolezza Rice looks the best option for me, she would teach Romeny a little bit of foreign politics Tongue

Paul Ryan would teach Romney how to balance a budget and how to cut healthcare expenditures Tongue

Rubio would make Romney looks more acceptable to latin-americans Tongue

Palin would destroy him Wink So would Gingrich, Santorum or Perry

I dont know much about Chris Christie but he has a nice name =P

Portman looks a serious guy and he would destroy Biden in the debate.

And the VP Nomination goes too....

Herman Cain!

He would teach Romney how to sell some Pizzas in case he lost the election!

"When people want less of taxes and more of everything else, you've got a problem." Jerry Brown

"Government has become so vast and impersonal that its interests diverge more and more from the interests of ordinary citizens." George McGovern

"Don't pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger man." John F. Kennedy
Fargobison
View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »
Ignore

Rice would be a bold choice, CNN had a poll that gave her something like an 80 percent favorable rating among Republicans so maybe the base would accept her or maybe they just don't completely understand her stance on abortion.

Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2012, 10:25:37 pm »
Ignore

Moderators, it would probably be a good idea to sticky this thread until the RNC Convention in late August.

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2012, 10:51:06 pm »

Moderators, it would probably be a good idea to sticky this thread until the RNC Convention in late August.

I don't know.  Romney's VP selection is going to be a hot topic here for the next four months.  People are going to want to talk about it enough, that I'm not sure it makes sense to confine discussion to one thread.

Once there are actual leaks from the Romney campaign and we have something to go on other than speculation though, then it would probably make sense to have a "VP rumors" thread like this one from four years ago:

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=81522.0

But it'll probably be some time before we're ready for that.

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout