The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:30:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.  (Read 20005 times)
milhouse24
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2012, 11:49:38 PM »

Romney campaigned with McDonnell again today. Will he continue these tryouts now that everyone's had at least one shot is my question.

Most of these tryouts are for PR purposes to excite voters in the swing states. 
Sure, it is also for Romney to get more familiar and comfortable with candidates he barely knew or spoke to before, and build trust and rapport. 
But a lot of it is for the media to see, and for the media to report and judge the potential partnership, whether the 2 people "look" like a good team.  His staff wants to see how a "potential ticket" will look campaigning and meeting voters in september.  will journalists think they create a strong image and partnership?  So these tryouts are for both external and internal feedback.  But more importantly, they are for building up excitement among swing state voters. 

The real Romney vetting will start with private phone calls, not public appearances. 
Of course, all these candidates want to kiss up and wow Romney, but I don't think any one is going to wow Romney enough for him to make a rushed decision. 
But it is good to put potential names out there into the press, and build up some excitement. 

Romney doesn't want to completely surprise the press and go quiet until the convention.  It is better to make strategic leaks to allow the media to salivate over VP candidates. 
I also don't think Romney will pick a surprise candidate, he'll likely leak the top 3 candidates a week before his decision.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »

What about Eric Cantor?

Virginia is going to be to Romney what Ohio was to Kerry. He simply can't win without it, but he has to fight to win it based on the polling right now. He also has to assume he's winning Florida and probably Ohio.

Eric Cantor secures the conservative base, potentially helps in Va (I'm skeptical, but this is how things go), and offers a flanking motion in Florida where many older voters aren't sold on Obama in the first place and his being Jewish would help. He's media-tested, young enough, and ambitious. He doesn't do anything for Ohio, but an Ohio pick wouldn't do anything in the other states.

Yes, he's from Congress, but Romney is going to be weighed down regardless. What do you think?  
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2012, 09:16:40 AM »

Uh, no. Just no.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2012, 09:22:10 AM »

Why not?

Here's an article where he offers fulsome praise of Romney where others have been more cautious. Of course he rules himself out and talks up McDonnell, but he has to.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/75349.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2012, 09:42:33 AM »

First of all, Cantor's approval rating is underwater in Virginia itself. IIRC the number was something like 49-33 unfavorable. So forget helping Romney there.

Second, the idea of demographic/homeboy solidarity has been debunked. McDonnell, Portman and Rubio (the ones most mentioned in this scenario) don't move the needle in their home states- PPP has polled each man at least once.

Finally, I don't see what he brings that others don't.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »

First of all, Cantor's approval rating is underwater in Virginia itself. IIRC the number was something like 49-33 unfavorable. So forget helping Romney there.

I'd want to see that. I'd think he's not that well known outside of his district and the Beltway.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Agreed. But I think that people still want to believe it's true or will be scared to pass up the chance.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He's rock solid with the conservative base and commentariat (so are others under consideration, like Portman and McDonnell, but then people like Rubio and Martinez have their deviations or are untested) and loved by many of them for his fight, which the others haven't proven yet. His being Jewish is a novelty factor that could help in S. Florida as well, as well as piling up wasted votes in former NY-9 and parts of NJ with older Jews.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2012, 09:59:44 AM »

It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree here.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »

It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree here.

That's fine. I don't exactly have my finger to the pulse of Republican or swing voter opinion.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »

All "recent" VP nominees whose highest office was Congressman(woman):

Geraldine Ferraro (1984, D)
William Miller (1964, R)

Well, that's not promising for Cantor now, is it.

You could count Jack Kemp for rep being his highest elected office but he was more of an elder statesman by the time he was chosen.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »

McDonnell, or so he claims, is not being currently vetted. Not like he'd say he was if so.

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/mcdonnell-says-hes-not-being-vetted-romney-vp/528256
retromike22
United States

« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2012, 09:39:59 PM »

Rob Portman is a chicken. No really:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ku28P0UsCCo
ajb
United States

« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »

The National Review floats Huckabee as a VP possibility. Not a horrible idea, actually.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/299438/huckabee-veep-robert-costa#
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »

Not a bad choice. But I still think Martinez is better.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2012, 01:41:08 PM »

It's getting closer, I'm going to bump this.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »

LOL
milhouse24
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »

Since Romney won the primary through default as the last man standing.

Pawlenty will be VP through default since he has no glaring faults compared to other candidates.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »

Since Romney won the primary through default as the last man standing.

Pawlenty will be VP through default since he has no glaring faults compared to other candidates.

Many of your posts.

Are incoherent.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies