The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:54:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Republican Vice-Presidential Spectulation Thread.  (Read 20350 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« on: March 31, 2012, 05:04:51 PM »

I would like a more bold choice, but after consideration...

Marco Rubio.

- He's young.
- He's charismatic and conservative. Tea Party voters will be energized to vote for Romney with a Rubio selection. Plus, while he's conservative, he doesn't turn off moderates the way others might.
- He gives Romney a significant boost in Florida, probably enough to tip it to Romney in a close election.
- He'll help Romney do better with Hispanics, which Romney desperately needs.
- He seems pretty intelligent, so he should handle himself much better than Palin.
- He has no major skeletons that would severely hinder the ticket.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:39:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow, I'm feeling positively energized here. I hope Mitt puts you in charge of the press release.
Sorry, I certainly would have tailored my post if I knew the point of this thread was to make you feel energized, not explain why Rubio would be a smart VP pick.

Marco Rubio has been a Senator for 14 MONTHS! 22 Months by November. I would disqualify everyone who hasn't held office for at least 4 years, or going on 4 years come next January. So if they're in office now, they should have been elected by 2008 at the latest.

Remember, Romney's only a one term Governor. Shouldn't he be looking for someone with more experience to back him up on some issue he has limited experience with? Such as foreign policy?

Experience didn't seem to be too much of an issue to voters in 2008.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »

Dick Lugar would be perfect, Winfield.
He would never accept, I promise you. Maybe 10 years ago, but not today.

Plus, Romney needs someone who can get the far-right pretty excited, and as Lugar's Senate primary has shown, he couldn't do that. Lugar is pretty uncharasmatic, pretty old, has low stamina. The only positive he brings is his foreign policy experience.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:22:04 PM »

And his flaws?

All of that, plus the fact that he has a rather moderate voting record that many conservatives wouldn't be too keen on. I would love him to be VP - I just don't think it's good from an electability standpoint unless you're Obama. Lugar was also very favorable of Obama back when Obama first took office and had good things to say about him, so those soundbites would certainly be played over and over in a GE.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:25 PM »

I wish Rice was pro-life or Romneys pro-life record was more acceptable to the base. Romney/Rice would be difficult for Obama to defeat, though I doubt she would accept.

I wish Martinez had more time under her belt, but she's my top pick. Will do well with minorities, women, the west, and Tea Party, categories Mitt has to improve on. The pro's outweigh the con's.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »

Question: Does anyone know just how pro-choice Rice is?

I'm thinking, if she's solidly pro-choice, Roe v Wade is good, I think that'll be a very difficult sell to the base that Romney needs to turn out. However, if she said "I'm personally pro-choice, and believe that decision should be made at the state, not federal level" could possibly make things better. Meh?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »

I got Martinez.

They forgot Ayotte. :/
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length