Atlasian Emergency CPR Caucus (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:21:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Emergency CPR Caucus (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasian Emergency CPR Caucus  (Read 3699 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: March 29, 2012, 11:58:41 AM »

Lets say I did retire and you ran to replace me Pingvin, how would you running unopposed be any different then me running unopposed?

Just swapping the chairs has limited mileage, and in a primarily elections sim you need competative elections. Barring a group of people from running in a game where we can barely find people to run as it is, isn't going to increase the number of competative elections.

Keep in mind that with Duke and bgwah now gone, this issue only applies to one person. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »

One "stir up the pot" proposal has already been implemented. I think we should be very carefull to embrace future such ideas on that basis alone.

For the record: I never "offered" anything, I just asked them to vote out of the kindness of their own heart. Tongue Then JJ went bananas early last year and that policy was canned. The RPP voter role became segregated based on "Risk of PM backfiring" and people deemed such were not contacted as part of "party-wide" GOTV efforts. That worked out very well when it came to losing all those 1 and 2 vote margin elections. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »

He "got the job done", you might say. Tongue

What hurt us the most in this recent problem was the lack of Senate debate. There normally is a lag and a reluctance to start bills untill the PPT takes over because they can't controll the threads and so forth until they cycle out and that can stifle a debate or lead to votes not being done quickly do to the headings being out of date. The problem is this time, the PPT never took over the job. He just vanished.

Beyond that is that lack of participation and involvement by the citizenry. I think there is a desire to please and a desire to not offend, coupled with a desire to not tank one's political ambitions down the road and thus it is "safer" to be silent. That leads to boredome and to even more inactivity.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:44:49 PM »

I think part of problem is that ideology is an essential component and atleast as far as the right is concerned, it is a practical impossibility. Hence what I meant about it being safer to be silent. I believe it was bgwah who wondered aloud where the Conservative opposition was to certain bills when he was surprised to see the unanimity or near unanimous voting on those measures. This is partially why such "controversial" items in RL are either sailed through with broad support or receive negative votes without much arguments against the bill.

The other reason for those types of results is the fact that there is little concept or desire frankly for a unified conservative movement intellectually more or less politically. When I was chairman of the RPP, I had American Conservatives (especially on the religious right) wonder why we had so many moderates, liberals and OMG Europeans. I also had certain moderate/liberal/OMG Europeans wonder why far right American conservatives had a right to exist more or less get a seat at the table.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »

I smell treason, Tweed. Tongue

Also, if the caucus wants to help. Contact your Senators to demand action. This no work on weekends sh**t is over. They can't take it, they should resign. An active presiding officer can only do so much. The Senators have to start debating and discussing what I have put up so far. It is a mix of old stuff and newer bills sought by the administation.

Contacting me will be redundant, but I promise to make it interesting if you do. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »

Should we amend the Constitution to order a minimum amount of debate per day or just hope the will of the people and the lifeblood of the Senate will do it on their own?

I could see an activity-based Constitutional amendment.

why the f do you listen to Alex Jones?

That's kinda like asking a heroin user why they do it...

cuz it's fun.

"Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun. But Mama, that's where the fun is"

lol, Manfred Mann Smiley

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »

We need the JCP and RPP back, plain and simple. Dissolving them clearly destroyed the game. And I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

It is kind of like in that Goosebumps episodes where everyone in town was killed by a chemical spill and a new family that is alive moves into town. A bunch of the dead people surround the house and the "friendly neighbors" blame the weird piece of artwork on the wall for attracting them. Frinally the mother succumbs to the pressure and burns the thing. The zombies back away for a second, then come back twice as aggressive and the "neighbors" show off their true colors and let the mob inside stating, "you just destoyed the one thing that protected you".

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 07:34:48 AM »

The man who led the drive for a more partisan oriented game is now blaming partisan motivated attacks for destroying it. Roll Eyes

Since when has any victorious party not come under attack from the minority at some point during any particular cycle? It is natural for the minority to seek to become the majority and that setup is meant to serve as a democratic check on the party in power. It also gives people a reason to participate.  The problem came when certain people in both parties began to read too much into the hype and rhetoric. Also, the JCP shouldn't have taken those attacks on their success so damn personally. Its like you guys thought you were owed deference or something. Creating the potential for competition is what kept so many conservatives in this game and participating, that aren't now. 

Something hurt the game last year to be sure and it in fact drove more people to either leave or want to leave then Hamilton did. Perhaps you should look a little closer to home. Tongue

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies