If Huntsman Re-entered the Race as a John Anderson-style Independent...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:10:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Huntsman Re-entered the Race as a John Anderson-style Independent...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...Would It Hurt Obama or Romney More?
Obama

Romney

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: If Huntsman Re-entered the Race as a John Anderson-style Independent...  (Read 1913 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 08:16:26 AM »

I think Romney gets more hurt, but where Obama gets hurt, it probably balances out... so his actual effect will probably end up being negligible
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 10:02:12 AM »

I don't see Huntsman as being able to reach even the 1% threshold.

Depends on how much $ he has to throw at the campaign.  If he was actually well-funded, then 1% wouldn't be that hard a threshold to cross.  But that's a big if.

Only way Huntsman gets that kind of dough is if an Obama supporter gives it to him to ninja Romney in the back and there are better ways to spend that money than that.

I forget, how big is Huntsman's own personal fortune?  Could he self-fund?  If not, could his father Super PAC him?

They might be able to, but why would they?   They both would know Huntsman would stand zero chance of getting EV's, let alone the presidency and it's not as if a quixotic quest by Jon would put any issue before the public eye that wasn't already there.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 10:38:58 AM »

Romney.  The moderate Republicans unhappy with the party would go to Huntsman.

Not just them...

You'd get some cross-over Democrats, and a small amount of Gingrich/Santorum voters pissed that Romney's the nominee.  But for the most part, the Republicans voting for Huntsman would be moderates.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 03:11:32 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2012, 03:15:13 PM by Averroës Nix »

I forget, how big is Huntsman's own personal fortune?  Could he self-fund?  If not, could his father Super PAC him?

Fairly small. The last estimate that I saw placed Huntsman's net worth between $15 million and $20 million.

And Daddy Huntsman wasn't willing to give money to his son's primary campaign unless he improved his polling - I doubt that he'd be any more willing to fund Jon in the general.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »

Who again?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »

The idea that Anderson hurt Carter is ludicrous.  One only has to see what happened in 1984 to prove it.  Once you filter out the states in the South that became Solid Republican as of the 1984 election (states in which Anderson did very poorly in 1980, but which Carter held on to because he was a Southerner), the states that Anderson did well in swung towards the Republicans more than those in which he did poorly.

The Carter presidency was a wreck. John Anderson (I voted for him because I recognized Carter as a disappointment and could not stand Reagan) made little difference.  It's possible to say that the 1980 election would have been close if one could have added the votes of Carter and Anderson -- but that would have required a much-better Presidency of Jimmy Carter. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Maybe -- but just look at how the states that voted most strongly for Anderson eventually voted. 25 of the states (and DC) gave independent candidates (mostly Anderson)  more than 7% of the total vote. 22 of those states (and DC) -- exceptions were Arizona, North Dakota, and Nebraska) went for Barack Obama in 2008. Maybe "Rockefeller Republicans" are the sophisticated Republican voters largely in the suburbs... and after several years of the GOP degenerating into a cadre of primitive, superstition-pandering, bellicose pols the sorts of people who might have voted for a Nelson Rockefeller in the 1970s or 1980s have drifted away from the GOP.

It is questionable whether Gerald Ford was less liberal than Jimmy Carter.   

We will never know.

Which could be very irrelevant soon should Rick Santorum lose the Pennsylvania primary.

If, if, if. Running against President Obama on the assumption that President Obama is a weak leader and a left-wing extremist may itself be a disaster.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies