Hilarious predictions from the mid 2000's
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:06:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Hilarious predictions from the mid 2000's
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hilarious predictions from the mid 2000's  (Read 1423 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:12:55 PM »

I was going through the trends forum and found some hilarious and completely unfulfilled predictions about the 2008 election and elections in the future. Here's the first installment:

October 9, 2004: "Republicans would never nominate McCain or a Black Guy for President. They have had their chance to do both and win big in 1996 and 2000 and passed it up."                    Well, they got it half right

November 8, 2004: "Hillary will run and win in 2008.
Sorry folks but she can cary ohio, nevada, colorado, florida and arkansas.
I feel sorry for pathetic republicans calling her a bitch. This shows their viewpoint towards strong women which intimidate them since they are just sorry losers."

October 20, 2004: "Florida is trending strongly towards the Republicans for president. It won't even be a battleground in 2008." Yup, Florida totally didn't matter in 2008

November 7, 2004: Santorum is far too right, Obama will wait at least until '12, Edwards has barely any experience and gave up his seat in these last elections, McCain is too old, Clinton is too divisive.
Maybe a Bayh/Pataki race"

And my favorite so far........

February 16, 2004: "Please stop putting Virginia and North Carolina as battleground, much less swing democrat, there is simply to sense to it."

Now to be fair, I think we are all prone to making predictions about politics that don't come to fruition. But one of the great things about this site is that it preserves the political mood of any given era from the past 8 years or so, and it reminds us that nothing in politics stays the same, except that there is always change. So before you post your opinion about this year's election and try to pass it off as fact, remember that you could one day be in another installment of hilarious predictions.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »

2003-2005 was the Age of the Moderate Heroes.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »

Maybe we're in a realignment.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »

Some more hilarious predictions

July 15, 2007: "The bottom line: if the Republicans want to have a shot at winning, they have to nominate one of their best chances for the general election (F. Thompson or Giuliani).  If it's any one of the other candidates, they will surely lose."     Yes, Senator Thompson and Mayor Guiliani were definitely the GOP's starting lineup that year, if the primaries told us anything

October 27, 2006: "No way will IN be competitive in 2008, unless Bayh is the candidate".

And my new favorite....

May 14, 2007: "Not saying a Democrat will win Oklahoma, but I gaurentee it will have the biggest Democratic swing of any state in 2008.. and the Democrat will probably win every eastern county of the state... "  Was this a thing before Obama became the nominee?

And to change things up a bit, one bright poster gave his opinion of Romney in 2007 that many on the left took years to figure out for themselves....

July 16, 2007: "Romney comes across as a used car salesman.  You really don't trust a word he says.  He tries to make you feel good about buying a piece of crap.  It's not just the whole flip flopper thing--all politicians are flip floppers--and it isn't his stance on the issues.  It's the way he delivers them, with a wink and a fake smile.  Just the way he talks, his tone of voice, you immediately distrust him; right away you know he's trying to make a piece of crap look worth buying into."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 09:35:02 PM »

Here's a thread I did 4 years ago, compiling people's predictions about the 2008 GOP primary race:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=71919.0
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »

July 16, 2007: "Romney comes across as a used car salesman.  You really don't trust a word he says.  He tries to make you feel good about buying a piece of crap.  It's not just the whole flip flopper thing--all politicians are flip floppers--and it isn't his stance on the issues.  It's the way he delivers them, with a wink and a fake smile.  Just the way he talks, his tone of voice, you immediately distrust him; right away you know he's trying to make a piece of crap look worth buying into."

Well at least that proves that although things change quickly in politics, and things said four years ago are likley to sound foolish today... some things never do change.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 04:07:06 AM »

That's all pretty hilarious, indeed.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:58:47 AM »

Much better are the threads by exultant Republicans predicting the next four years of the Bush presidency all the way back in November and December 2004.
Jackson
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »

Remember the threads where it was claimed that Hawaii would trend Republican in 2008? Lol.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 11:41:02 PM »

Some hilarious predictions I made here...

I said the Democrats would win back Congress in 2006, and everyone laughed. And I said Obama would win Indiana in 2008, and everyone laughed again.

Now THAT was funny!
hopper
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »

Remember the threads where it was claimed that Hawaii would trend Republican in 2008? Lol.
Well Obama lived in Hawaii for some time I think so he had little bit of a home-court advantage there and plus 2008 was a dem year.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies