So I got my SAT scores back today...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:45:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  So I got my SAT scores back today...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: So I got my SAT scores back today...  (Read 5144 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »

Depends on the test. Practice makes a huge difference on the LSAT, for example. Some people are also just "naturally better" at certain standardized tests, while others can only get to that level by familiarizing themselves with the common structures of ideas and concepts in the test, which is accomplished through practice.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »

Now I don't even know whether it would be considered polite to talk about my scores.
Sure you can, I made this thread knowing I would be in the bottom half of Atlas scores Smiley

Never taken the SAT, but my general experience from standarized tests (Swedish equivalent and the GRE) is that practising doesn't make that much of a difference.
That was my assumption, so I just went in and took.  I found an app that gives you a new SAT question every day, so I might use that as a sort of light preparation if I do take it again.

Hmm, SAT again, SAT subject tests, or the ACT?  I probably ought to talk my school counselor...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 11:12:43 AM »

Never taken the SAT, but my general experience from standarized tests (Swedish equivalent and the GRE) is that practising doesn't make that much of a difference.

I'd think otherwise.

I took it twice, on the second try I got an 710 on writing, 760 on the math, and 800 in critical reading. On the Lit SAT II I got a 750, and for US History 790.

I didn't do all that much. I had an old review CD that I bought back in 8th grade for some reason, that cost about $3, and the official review book. Nothing more. All these tutors, the expensive courses- it's all a hoax. Really, you need to understand what's on the test, and be able to think in terms of what they ask. You can study for it.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 12:59:55 PM »

Anybody wants to know what jmfcst's opebo's and clarence's scores are? If applicable of course.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 06:59:09 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2012, 07:01:19 PM by Ron Swanson »

Retake it but make sure that you don't build up the impression that the next test is high stakes and that you need to perform perfectly. I made that mistake and my score dropped by one hundred points because I made a series of stupid mistakes.

Without practicing, I got a 2060. The next time I took the test, I took 12 practice tests and I got a 1960. It's more about the state of mind that you're in, than the practice. The questions are all fairly simple and if you're already intelligent, you should do great.

CR - 740
M - 640
W - 680, 11

Not that good, I'm kind of embarrassed that I did this poorly but I got into a cool school (Reed) and I'll have a pretty low debt load so it worked out for the best. Life is good.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 07:17:03 PM »

I'd think otherwise.

I took it twice, on the second try I got an 710 on writing, 760 on the math, and 800 in critical reading. On the Lit SAT II I got a 750, and for US History 790.

I didn't do all that much. I had an old review CD that I bought back in 8th grade for some reason, that cost about $3, and the official review book. Nothing more. All these tutors, the expensive courses- it's all a hoax. Really, you need to understand what's on the test, and be able to think in terms of what they ask. You can study for it.

I should probably make clear that I was being a tad hyperbolic. For both tests I mentioned I did do one practice test. For the GRE they send you one when you register, so I did that. Then I read up on geometric terms in English (I've only had that in Swedish before).

I scored pretty well with that, and I highly doubt I could have done better.

It was the same with the Swedish SAT - I did 2 practice tests and ended up in top tenth of a percentile or something like that. I actually did redo it as a bet with a friend and scored lower that time. Tongue
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »

I took it a few years back and got a 2030 after bombing the essay portion. I thought it was good, but you guys put me to shame. Tongue It doesn't really matter anymore though; now I'm focused on the GRE.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »

I took it a few years back and got a 2030 after bombing the essay portion. I thought it was good, but you guys put me to shame. Tongue It doesn't really matter anymore though; now I'm focused on the GRE.

Note of advice on the GRE: as a computerized test, and as a test that "learns" and matches its performance to yours, there's an easy way to tell how you're doing as you go.  If the questions are ridiculous and impossibly difficult featuring obscure Greek words, you're doing excellently, even if you don't know the answers.  If it's asking you about dogs and cats, you might as well give up and walk out.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »

A bit of advice for you Mikky, if you decide to take the GRE again: the Boykin Spaniel is the State Dog of South Carolina.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »

A bit of advice for you Mikky, if you decide to take the GRE again: the Boykin Spaniel is the State Dog of South Carolina.

Cheesy

In all seriousness, I did quite well, better than I was expecting, even.  The GRE's math portion is basically the same as the SAT's, or I would've done much worse, seeing as I hadn't taken any math since high school.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »

Oh, if we're posting SAT scores, I got 800/780/730 (CR/M/W).
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 03:20:54 PM »

I actually haven't taken it yet, and I'm doing so in June (and September, if I don't score 2300+). Anyone have any advice on studying? I've been trying to devote about 15 minutes to an hour studying for it over the last several months. How much do the practice tests correlate with performance on the actual test?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »

Oh, if we're posting SAT scores, I got 800/780/730 (CR/M/W).

Nice!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies