Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 03:32:42 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  Smart Grid Electrical Distribution Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Smart Grid Electrical Distribution Act (Debating)  (Read 1076 times)
All In For KC
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:54:05 pm »
Ignore

Smart Grid Electrical Distribution Act

Section 1: Uniform Standards
1. The network used for the long-range transmission of electrical power shall be controlled and operated by the Altasian Department of Energy.

2. The transmission network from the power production stage until reaching the substation is defined as a public good. No regional, state, or local government, or private company may prevent a power producer from using transmission lines. The same rate must be charged to all transmission grid users.

3. County and local governments may impose restrictions on the distribution grid within their county or local region.

Section 2: Investment
1.The Department of Energy is appropriated $500 Billion over the next 20 years to implement smart grid technologies to reduce stress on the transmission grid and increase efficiency.

2. The current Eastern, Western, and Texas grid systems are to be maintained as separate transmission grids with manually-operated switching stations connecting the three grids along their borders.

Sponsor: Senator TJ in Cleve

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:00:43 am »
Ignore

Why maintain the separation of the transmission grids? Is this in the interests of containing blackouts or something? If so, would breaking up the three main grids be worthwhile to discuss?

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 05:44:04 am »
Ignore

My only initial objection would be the inclusion of the Department of Energy which I would propose to eliminate- but that can be fixed in a later bill to transfer its responsibilities

Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:07:49 pm »
Ignore

$500 billion over 20 years is $25 billion per year. It is a substantial increase in the deficit and should have a dedicated revenue stream to pay for it. Any ideas?

Also, the third clause of Section 1 referring to the ability of local goverments to restrict the grid. What kind of restrictions are implied by that?

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 01:58:50 pm »
Ignore

$500 billion over 20 years is $25 billion per year. It is a substantial increase in the deficit and should have a dedicated revenue stream to pay for it. Any ideas?

This.  It would be nice if this bill could be tweaked so that it could actually bring in revenue to pay for itself, but I'm not sure how that could happen.
Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 12:02:16 am »
Ignore

Why maintain the separation of the transmission grids? Is this in the interests of containing blackouts or something? If so, would breaking up the three main grids be worthwhile to discuss?

That's the reason exactly. Having a direct connection without manual switching would increase the chances of a power surge causing a rolling blackout or damaging transmission lines.

Breaking them up further is an interesting idea and in a more perfect world I would like to see many smaller transmission grids connected by manual switching but this bill is plenty expensive enough without re-inventing the wheel.

Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:08:06 am »
Ignore

Also, the third clause of Section 1 referring to the ability of local goverments to restrict the grid. What kind of restrictions are implied by that?

This is referring to the distribution grid, which is different from the transmission grid. The transmission grid is the large apparatus that runs from power production to local transmission stations and the distribution grid runs from those stations to the consumer. The reason why I included this provision is limit the nationalization to only the transmission grid (only the part that crosses regional lines and effects the mass delivery across the nation).

Local governments could charge fees, contract private owners, buy power collectively, etc. and I want to make sure such a bill will not prevent them from doing so.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 04:23:17 pm »
Ignore

How some kind of fee paid by the utility companies for use of the lines?

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 08:08:59 pm »
Ignore

To address cost concerns, I'd like to add a provision in the bill to charge utility companies to use the grid. The tax should cover the cost of the investment based on a 3884 billion kW-h annual electricity consumption.

Smart Grid Electrical Distribution Act

Section 1: Uniform Standards
1. The network used for the long-range transmission of electrical power shall be controlled and operated by the Altasian Department of Energy.

2. The transmission network from the power production stage until reaching the substation is defined as a public good. No regional, state, or local government, or private company may prevent a power producer from using transmission lines. The same rate must be charged to all transmission grid users.

3. County and local governments may impose restrictions on the distribution grid within their county or local region.

Section 2: Investment
1. The Department of Energy is appropriated $500 Billion over the next 20 years to implement smart grid technologies to reduce stress on the transmission grid and increase efficiency.

2. The current Eastern, Western, and Texas grid systems are to be maintained as separate transmission grids with manually-operated switching stations connecting the three grids along their borders.

3. Funding for this investment will be obtained by the imposition of a tax of 0.65 cents per kW-h to be paid by utility companies for using the grid.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:45:03 am »
Ignore

Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendment.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

P P P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 10:42:31 pm »
Ignore

Can power companies opt out, or is this something they'd have to use in order to use any electrical infrastructure?

Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 11:13:11 pm »
Ignore

Can power companies opt out, or is this something they'd have to use in order to use any electrical infrastructure?

I'm not sure there's a way of doing this if they want to use the transmission grid (which virtually every one would). How does one transmit power without using the grid?

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

P P P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:43:34 pm »
Ignore

I'm not sure there's a way of doing this if they want to use the transmission grid (which virtually every one would). How does one transmit power without using the grid?
I just wasn't clear whether the tax would apply only to the entire transmission grid network or only to the smart grid technologies, but reading the text I see it's the former. 

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 05:33:39 pm »
Ignore

The amendment has passed.

Are we ready for final vote here?

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 10:27:52 am »
Ignore

I know almost nothing about this, so I'm going to blindly trust TJ!

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 06:50:42 pm »
Ignore

A final vote is now open on the Smart Grid Electrical Distribution Act, Senators please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 07:45:37 pm »
Ignore

Abstain.
Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 07:50:46 pm »
Ignore

Aye

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 08:25:22 pm »
Ignore

Grin Yup

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 09:04:36 pm »
Ignore

Aye
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 09:21:06 pm »
Ignore

Abstain.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

IDS Legislator Pingvin
Pingvin99
YaBB God
Estonia

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 02:08:34 am »
Ignore

Aye

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 07:30:35 pm »
Ignore

Did I not email every Senator about this vote? Yes I did.

SO WHERE THE HELL IS THE OTHERS?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 08:26:04 pm »
Ignore

Aye

For christ's sake. Can't I atleast get six ayes here?

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 03:25:20 pm »
Ignore

Aye

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length