Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 06:44:15 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  British Conservatives Lead Charge to Legalize Gay Marriage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: British Conservatives Lead Charge to Legalize Gay Marriage  (Read 2116 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 04:11:23 pm »
Ignore

Blair/Brown Labour also had 13 years with large majorities and no angry backbenchers to (fully) legalize gay marriage, y'know...

They legalized civil unions, and would probably have legalized gay marriage if they'd won in 2010.

wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 04:20:11 pm »
Ignore

Blair/Brown Labour also had 13 years with large majorities and no angry backbenchers to (fully) legalize gay marriage, y'know...

They legalized civil unions, and would probably have legalized gay marriage if they'd won in 2010.

Therefore making them... the same as Cameron!  (Complete with the "probably" - certainly a low level of probability given the previous 13 years...).  Also still makes them more socially-conservative than John Lynch (y'know, that NH governor who's vetoing the medical marijuana bill; he signed gay marriage back in '09).
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 04:24:57 pm »
Ignore

Therefore making them... the same as Cameron!  (Complete with the "probably" - certainly a low level of probability given the previous 13 years...).  Also still makes them more socially-conservative than John Lynch (y'know, that NH governor who's vetoing the medical marijuana bill; he signed gay marriage back in '09).

Not exactly the same as Cameron. Cameron's support of same-sex marriage stinks of oppurtunism when you see that he voted for the down-right homophobic section 28.

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 05:02:15 pm »
Ignore

Not exactly the same as Cameron. Cameron's support of same-sex marriage stinks of oppurtunism when you see that he voted for the down-right homophobic section 28.

And voted against gay adoption.

Twice.

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 05:21:52 pm »
Ignore

Why don't they just have an un-whipped conscience vote on gay marriage the way they had on capital punishment in Britain?  The Tories not paranoid about gays can support their unions, and those who are paranoid can vote no.  Everybody is happy. For once we have a "simple" solution to something. Isn't that grand? Smiley

I'm sort of baffled why it's so difficult to bring up for exactly this reason. There's really no reason at all to keep kicking the can on this issue unless it's blatant opportunism that there's no heart behind, which I suppose is a distinct possibility. Cameron (supposedly) has grand visions of turning the Conservative party into a more moderate and socially conscious party, but on most issues that doesn't seem to be shaping up in reality. There's a real gap between rhetoric and what the Conservatives have been doing, or able to do.

Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 08:32:45 pm »
Ignore

Quote from: OP article
The proposal, put forward this month despite the lack of a strong clamor for marriage within Britainís gay community,

So does Britain's LGBT community really want this or not?  My understanding was that civil unions were acceptable enough, given the lack of ingrained religious culture in modern Britain (especially among the LGBT).

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 09:26:27 pm »
Ignore

Twice.

All of those were 3-line whips, which mean potential expulsion from the party if disobeyed (party discipline is/can be much more strictly enforced in the UK).
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 11:46:29 am »
Ignore

Twice.

All of those were 3-line whips, which mean potential expulsion from the party if disobeyed (party discipline is/can be much more strictly enforced in the UK).

Thanks. I didn't know that. Roll Eyes

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 12:24:38 pm »
Ignore

It's a good thing we have Wormyguy here to explain the intricacies of party discipline in a Westminster system of government to our UK members.

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 12:41:04 pm »
Ignore

Twice.

I have studied British politics for a few years now wormy... Tongue

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 12:52:55 pm »
Ignore

Defying a three-line whip tends not to result in expulsion, fwiw...

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
afleitch
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 02:24:06 pm »

It can even be endearing if you're playing to the backbenches.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 02:31:03 pm »
Ignore

IIRC it tends to get you a bollocking from the party whips, but unless you're a repeat offender expulsion isn't the case.

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 03:16:12 pm »
Ignore

IIRC it tends to get you a bollocking from the party whips, but unless you're a repeat offender expulsion isn't the case.

Especially on an issue like this.

wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 09:37:23 pm »
Ignore

Twice.

I have studied British politics for a few years now wormy... Tongue

Sorry, thought you were 20RP12 (he had a C-UK avatar IIRC).
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout