Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2014, 11:38:03 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: Comprehensive Protection of Nuclear Power Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Comprehensive Protection of Nuclear Power Act (Law'd)  (Read 907 times)
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2012, 05:19:26 pm »
Ignore

Comprehensive Protection of Nuclear Power Act

1. The Nuclear Safety Act of 2011 is hereby repealed and shall be moved to the Repealed Statute wiki page.

2. Before permission from the federal government, or granting of any federal funds toward the construction of a new nuclear power plant, a full and comprehensive environment safety evaluation must be made from geological surveyors.

3. Any area that has been deemed geologically unsafe may not have a nuclear power built on or near it.

4. All nuclear power plants in current operation must receive complete safety evaluation from regulators every four months (or roughly 120 days) and may not withhold any requested information from examiners.

5. Every existing nuclear power plant, as well as all nuclear power plants built in the future, must be fitted with a generator capable of producing power to the main portions of the facility for at least 72 hours in the event of catastrophic failure or natural disaster.

6. $2.5 billion shall be appropriated for the development of more advanced equipment capable of cleaning up and/or containing potential nuclear disasters, as well as safety equipment to prevent such disasters.

Sponsor: TJ in Cleve

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:20:33 pm by Senator North Carolina Yankee »Logged

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 02:18:22 pm »
Ignore

I am willing to sponsor this bill in Marokai's absence.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 05:07:15 pm »
Ignore

Senators have 48 hours to object to the assumption of sponsorship.

Since we have a new victim, they must post advocating for the bill in 24 hours or I will take my hack saw to this.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:25:07 pm »
Ignore

I would like to amend this bill for the reason that a geological surveyor would not be qualified to conduct a comprehensive environmental safety evaluation. I also found some of the wording about 'federal funding' a little strange.

Comprehensive Protection of Nuclear Power Act

1. The Nuclear Safety Act of 2011 is hereby repealed and shall be moved to the Repealed Statute wiki page.

2. Before permission from the federal government, or granting of any federal funds toward the construction of a building permit for a new nuclear power plant may be obtained, a full and comprehensive environmental safety evaluation must be made from geological surveyors.

3. A geological survey must be included in the comprehensive environmental safety evaluation and any area that has been deemed geologically unsafe may not have a nuclear power built on or near it.

4. All nuclear power plants in current operation must receive complete safety evaluation from regulators every four months (or roughly 120 days) and may not withhold any requested information from examiners.

5. Every existing nuclear power plant, as well as all nuclear power plants built in the future, must be fitted with a generator capable of producing power to the main portions of the facility for at least 72 hours in the event of catastrophic failure or natural disaster.

6. $2.5 billion shall be appropriated for the development of more advanced equipment capable of cleaning up and/or containing potential nuclear disasters, as well as safety equipment to prevent such disasters.

I accept it as friendly Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 02:28:42 pm »
Ignore

Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendment from the honerable Senator.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 04:25:11 pm »
Ignore

The amendment has passed.

Final vote time? The 72 hours expired 10 minutes ago.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 04:50:27 pm »
Ignore

There was a story about nuclear power recently. Anyone notice it?

" But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson WV SBE v Barnette
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 05:42:09 pm »
Ignore

Can you provide a link to that? I have not had the opportunity to see that, wherever it was.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »
Ignore

Can you provide a link to that? I have not had the opportunity to see that, wherever it was.
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=143807.msg3240153#msg3240153

" But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson WV SBE v Barnette
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:32:26 am »
Ignore

Should we define "geological safety" somehow?

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 05:48:35 pm »
Ignore

Short of dismantling an at risk plant, what could be done about a plant on or near a fault line, like the one in California?

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 08:11:03 pm »
Ignore

I would think it should be clear enough that it is refering to being built on a major fault line that experiences earthquakes large enough to cause damage.
Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 08:15:15 pm »
Ignore

Short of dismantling an at risk plant, what could be done about a plant on or near a fault line, like the one in California?

Requiring a back-up generator is probably the best we can do. Keep in mind the disaster in Japan was not caused by damage directly to the reactor but from a lack of power to the cooling tower pumps.
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 10:28:41 am »
Ignore

I would think it should be clear enough that it is refering to being built on a major fault line that experiences earthquakes large enough to cause damage.

But is that adequate?  For example, would that cover the New Madrid Seismic Zone?  What if something like the Charleston earthquake happened again?  I mean, technically, the Yellowstone Caldera is a big geologically unsafe thing, but it's nowhere near a fault zone.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 12:57:26 pm »
Ignore

But is that adequate?  For example, would that cover the New Madrid Seismic Zone?  What if something like the Charleston earthquake happened again?  I mean, technically, the Yellowstone Caldera is a big geologically unsafe thing, but it's nowhere near a fault zone.

I don't think it makes sense for us to legislate whether specific fault lines are 'safe' for nuclear power plants to be built on; rather that ought to be left to the regulatory committee in conjuction with geologists. As far as the Yellowstone Caldera, I would sure hope a safety evaluation done by a geologist would consider such things.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 06:45:06 pm »
Ignore

If Yellowstone goes, the biggest question will be whether any Americans are left alive to worry about potentially getting radiated by an exploding Nuclear power plant.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 07:31:34 pm »
Ignore

Are we finished here Senators? Sponsor?

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 07:32:33 pm »
Ignore

I believe we are ready for a vote.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 07:37:30 pm »
Ignore

Senators, a final vote is now open on the Comprehensive Protection of Nuclear Power Act, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 07:41:56 pm »
Ignore

Aye
Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 08:40:54 pm »
Ignore

Aye. It's always a good thing to protect the environment.

Alfred is the only acceptable option

Clinton they've discovered our lovechild Sad

their bastard sons against the wall
Pingvin99
YaBB God
Estonia

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 01:20:13 am »
Ignore

Aye.

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 02:09:04 am »
Ignore

Aye
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 08:13:16 am »
Ignore

Grin Yup

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 02:12:36 pm »
Ignore

Aye.

Pages: [1] 2 Print