SENATE BILL: The Atlasian National Broadcaster Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:07:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Atlasian National Broadcaster Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Atlasian National Broadcaster Bill (Law'd)  (Read 8031 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »
« edited: April 23, 2012, 02:51:00 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Clarence
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:43:12 AM »

I want it to be known that I sponsored this bill as a favor to Polnut- I strongly oppose it. With the exception of emergency notification the government has NO place in broadcasting and what makes this bill even more egregious is the fact that it comes with a tax increase.

Mr. President- the people don't need a tax increase and they certainly do not need it for THIS... I strongly oppose this bill
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:11:47 AM »

I want the President hauled up here to defend this. He has 24 hours. Evil
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:19:27 PM »

I'm leaning towards nay, but maybe President Polnut can change my mind.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:51:07 PM »

That tax comes to about $30 Billion.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »

This is a common factor across the globe to provide entertainment/news without being driven by advertising.

We can easily reduce the costs.

Look at the BBC does anyone doubt the value of the BBC? This is an opportunity for Atlasia to not just provide support for Atlasian arts and culture but also to provide an avenue to export them abroad.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sick of cheap, tacky television based upon nothing more than shock, sensationalism and dumbing down our national discourse.

I'm fully prepared to defend the values behind this Bill, as well as the benefits.

I would however prefer not to focus the argument on emotional/theoretical arguments about the role of government in broadcasting.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 08:20:32 AM »

Mr. President- you say you are "sick of cheap, tacky television"- so am I. The difference is I do not want the taxpayers to have to chip in to give me a new channel. If the people do not like TV as it is- demand for a new station will create one...I do not believe we are elected to judge the quality of television programs and add to the bloat of government if we see a lack in that quality
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »

Certain language in the bill seems to imply that non-ANB broadcasting would be prejudiced by this (I'm thinking of 'television or radio' under 'Advertising' and the uses of 'one national television network' and 'one national radio station'). Could the President clarify this? If this is the case I believe that this bill would limit free speech and would like to see it reworked, though I support the ideas behind it.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 02:04:17 PM »

Yes, I am opposed to the advertising section. Why shouldn't non-national broadcast channels be able to advertise?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »

That is certainly ridiculous.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »

I don't see the point of having the government do this. Why do we need a public news organization, which will tie up money albeit not that much, when we have no shortage of private ones?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »

I am definitely on the fence on this one.  I would like the President or someone else to lay out why this is essential and specifically how this will improve things for people before I vote for this bill.  Otherwise, I fear that this will put an unnecessary burden on middle-class taxpayers.  And frankly, letting businesses advertise would make this particular service cheaper, so I see no reason why that shouldn't be allowed.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 06:07:23 PM »

I will be addressing all points raised shortly.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »

As to Clarence's points.

The first is if this were 30/40 years ago, you'd probably be right. However, what is very clear is that over that period television has become driven by profits... consider this, the average number of commercial breaks and the length of those breaks have increased over those periods, also, the production costs of television have been forced down. So advertising increases and production costs/values reductions.

We haven't seen a commercial network established for a quarter of a century, you think that's because of a lack of demand? No, this is one area where the faith in the market has failed miserably. Two things that have occurred that make your primary view a touch flawed, the rise of cable television and the internet.

Cable is a system that does indeed have room for market activity, if enough people demand a station on... bolivian goat herding it'll arise. If they need more money, they just hike subscription rates... hardly fair on the people who have a hard time paying for such luxuries now.

The Internet is the other thing, both with piracy and the availability of cheaply made, but easily available programming the idea that public demand for a new high-quality network will bring it about is frankly highly optimistic.

I believe I have made plain why I believe we should do this. I'm very happy to investigate the nature of the levy, but to suggest that we as a government have no role in this is frankly ideological and not balanced out by evidence.

Consider this Board will be governed by public nominees, are any of the network or cable channels governed by the public good? The reason why advertising should not be permitted is to avoid the temptation of what has happened to commercial TV now. An hour program is at best... 42-43 minutes long, you need 15 minutes of advertising to pay for less than an hour of television. The quality of the programming should not be undermined by the need to attract advertisers.

A national broadcaster will create high-quality programming that not only reflects Atlasian culture and supports their creative industries of this country, but also be a tremendous opportunity to export those products abroad.

So I ask the Senate, the ones with the open minds Tongue, to consider the value of a national broadcaster whose sole-role is to create programming in the national interest, a network where all Atlasians have a stake in it, governed by public nominees and not driven by advertising revenue.

Consider that Atlasia is one of the few developed nations without such a thing?

Atlasia does have small public or community networks but surely we can handle the creation of a such a network here.

The cost factor will be very small on most people, and we can work to bring that down to the minimum, but also consider that many of the highest-quality programs are on premium cable, the most expensive channels. So have we gotten to the point that the only people who deserve such programming are those that can afford it? And those who cant need to make do with revenue-driven drivel and risk the consequences of internet piracy?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »

So just to get this straight, no advertising for non-national broadcasting shows will be allowed on the the public TV channel and radio station, correct? The way it is written now, it seems like you ban advertising for non-national broadcasting shows on all TV channels and all radio stations.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »

So just to get this straight, no advertising for non-national broadcasting shows will be allowed on the the public TV channel and radio station, correct? The way it is written now, it seems like you ban advertising for non-national broadcasting shows on all TV channels and all radio stations.

I certainly wouldn't want that... apologies for the confusion.

Yes, this would ONLY apply to the national broadcaster.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 09:52:48 PM »

After much careful consideration, I have decided that the pros outweigh the cons of this legislation and I will be supporting it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 05:41:08 PM »

I certainly wouldn't want that... apologies for the confusion.

Yes, this would ONLY apply to the national broadcaster.

That the way it is currently written doesn't align with your intent on that, unless I am misreading the current text. I am willing to withdraw my amendment for a text you find acceptable that clears up the confusion on this matter.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 07:12:01 PM »

I agree that an amendment purely to clarify the text without changing the meaning of it is a necessity.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 12:05:05 AM »

I agree that an amendment purely to clarify the text without changing the meaning of it is a necessity.

I apologise for the confusion I would request an amendment along those lines.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 12:19:10 AM »

I propose the following amendment.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 10:47:02 AM »

Why have an analog signal at all?

Would the management board be composed of "real" Atlasians or "NPC" Atlasians?  (If the former, that's ridiculous and I think it should be scrapped or changed to NPC Atlasians.)

Does NPR, or the equivalent, just not exist in Atlasia?

Also, how much revenue would actually be raised through the proposed tax?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to Senator Scott's Amendment.

I agree with Senator ILV's sentiments regarding the playability of this board. It should definately be NPC.

Also, what about an Atlasian equivalent to PBS? Was it abolished?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »

Amendment to solve that playability issue:

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »

I support the amendment but oppose the bill...

I appreciate Polnut's response to my concerns but I do not belive the government should be creating a station because the President doesn't like what's on television...and CERTAINLY there should not be a tax increase to crate it...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies