Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 07:04:11 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: The Atlasian National Broadcaster Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Atlasian National Broadcaster Bill (Law'd)  (Read 2387 times)
Senator-elect Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2012, 06:23:14 pm »
Ignore

The Atlasian National Broadcaster Bill

This Bill will create a National Broadcaster.

a) Funding
The Atlasian National Broadcaster will be funded through a national levy that will be added to personal and corporate tax determinations. The additional levy will be 0.5% of taxable income.

Personal tax
- a National Broadcasting Levy of 0.5% 0.25% of annual taxable income will be placed on individual incomes above $40,001 50,000and household incomes above$50,001$65,000. Any shortfall will be made up by donations.

Corporate taxation
- a National Broadcasting Levy of 0.5% of annual taxable income will be placed on corporate incomes of $350,001 and up.

Advertising
- No advertising for non-National Broadcasting programs or products will be permitted on television or radio.

b) Structure
Television
- this Bill will create one national television network within 12 months of this Bill being passed. An analogue signal will be in place until July 2014 and a digital signal in place from the inception.

Radio
- this Bill will create one national radio station within 12 months of this Bill being passed.

c) Management
This Bill create a advisory and management Board. The Board will be appointed by a Senate vote, based on public nominations. The Government will have no control over content.

The Management Board
- will consist of 5 Atlasians, with 6 month terms
- a Chair will be elected within the Board
- the role of the Management Board will be to determine programming, budget allocations and merchandising

The Advisory Board
- will consist of 3 Atlasians with 3 month terms
- the role of the Advisory Board will be to advise the Management Board in their deliberations.

I propose an amendment to reduce the taxes associated with this bill. I highly doubt we would have needed as much money as the original bill was asking for.

Hence why I'm wanting to look at amendments like yours. I support this amendment FTR.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 06:24:23 pm »
Ignore

Unless I missed something Scotts and my amendment's have passed.

I take it we will never get an answer to question of ILV and myself as to WTF happened to NPR and PBS in this game?

Senators have 24 hours to object to Sbane's amendment.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2012, 06:30:11 pm »
Ignore

As a former small business owner- I had many years where my business took in more then $350K and I took home less then $50K... let's not even discuss the double taxation that many small business owners (sole proprietors) face and just pretend their business income is thir personal income...

A restaurant owner takes in 400K let's say... your levy would take away $2000...that means a lot for a small business. All employees and the owner have to take that out of their salaries...prices would have to be raised potentially- $2000 for a non-necessary part of gov't doesn't seem like a fair price for me

The President seemingly forgets small businesses that will be affected by a corporate income levy- many of which make more then $350K but would still be heavily affected by this levy

Senator-elect Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2012, 06:33:27 pm »
Ignore

As a former small business owner- I had many years where my business took in more then $350K and I took home less then $50K... let's not even discuss the double taxation that many small business owners (sole proprietors) face and just pretend their business income is thir personal income...

A restaurant owner takes in 400K let's say... your levy would take away $2000...that means a lot for a small business. All employees and the owner have to take that out of their salaries...prices would have to be raised potentially- $2000 for a non-necessary part of gov't doesn't seem like a fair price for me

The President seemingly forgets small businesses that will be affected by a corporate income levy- many of which make more then $350K but would still be heavily affected by this levy

I'd be happy to see an amendment to address your concerns, but if the only position you're willing to have on this is "levy=tax" and "this isn't necessary" then I'm afraid we don't have much room to move.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2012, 07:06:50 pm »
Ignore

I move to amend the .5% to .000000000000000001% and change $350,001 and up to $100,000,001 and up

Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 09:25:28 pm »
Ignore

I move to dismiss that as unrealistic.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2012, 08:05:20 am »
Ignore

I am striking the amendment as functionally impractical because it doesn't reference which of two sections the first part is changing. The current bill has 0.5% tax in two different places.

The Senator may re-introduce the amendment, specifying what it amends.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2012, 08:08:21 am »
Ignore

Maybe so, but even if that were the case, my preference would be to have a vote held on the amendment rather than to just have me strike it based on my personal opinion and biases with that regard.

Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 08:15:59 am »
Ignore

Maybe so, but even if that were the case, my preference would be to have a vote held on the amendment rather than to just have me strike it based on my personal opinion and biases with that regard.
Well, you can do that, but I'm dismissing it in my mind-chamber from which I type. Currently, I am the King of the Mind-Chamber and have (symbolic) authority on everything.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2012, 05:06:55 pm »
Ignore

Clarence?

And Sbane's amendment has 25 minutes left before passage. I will need to declare it so after it expires which probably will be after seven or eight sometime.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2012, 08:42:40 pm »
Ignore

Sbane's amendment has passed.

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2012, 08:45:47 pm »
Ignore

I am sorry- what was wrong with that amendment htat I put forward?

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:10 pm »
Ignore

It was too unclear as to what it amendment when it said "0.5% tax is replaced with ...." There are two instances of "0.5% Tax in the bill. You need to specify which one you are amending which can be done in several ways.

You say, "Section.... is amended as follows:" or you can and past the text and then strike it with with the strike through feature: .

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2012, 11:39:14 pm »
Ignore

How do I use the strike through feature?

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2012, 11:53:20 pm »
Ignore

How do I use the strike through feature?

It is the S with a line going through it below the Message icon setting.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2012, 07:28:35 pm »
Ignore

I am afraid I will have to ask that amendment be re-introduced correctly no later then tomorrow.

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2012, 09:08:17 pm »
Ignore

That amendment was somewhat facetious... I cannot support any levy on anyone for this cause

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2012, 08:53:45 pm »
Ignore

We done here then?

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2012, 08:54:56 pm »
Ignore

I believe so- neither side is moving an inch... but it has been a productive and fun debate

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2012, 06:09:38 pm »
Ignore

Quote from: Final Text?
The Atlasian National Broadcaster Bill

This Bill will create a National Broadcaster.

a) Funding
The Atlasian National Broadcaster will be funded through a national levy that will be added to personal and corporate tax determinations. The additional levy will be 0.5% of taxable income.

Personal tax
- a National Broadcasting Levy of 0.25% of annual taxable income will be placed on individual incomes above 50,000 and household incomes above $65,000. Any shortfall will be made up by donations.

Corporate taxation
- a National Broadcasting Levy of 0.5% of annual taxable income will be placed on corporate incomes of $350,001 and up.

Advertising
- No advertising for non-National Broadcasting programs or products will be permitted on nationally broadcasted television or radio.

b) Structure
Television
- this Bill will create one national television network within 12 months of this Bill being passed. An analogue signal will be in place until July 2014 and a digital signal in place from the inception.

Radio
- this Bill will create one national radio station within 12 months of this Bill being passed.

c) Management
This Bill create a advisory and management Board. The Board will be appointed by a Senate vote, based on public nominations. The Government will have no control over content. Both these boards will consist of non-player characters. Their membership and actions simulated by the Game Moderator and/or Secretary of Internal Affairs as necessary.

The Management Board
- will consist of 5 Atlasians, with 6 month terms
- a Chair will be elected within the Board
- the role of the Management Board will be to determine programming, budget allocations and merchandising

The Advisory Board
- will consist of 3 Atlasians with 3 month terms
- the role of the Advisory Board will be to advise the Management Board in their deliberations.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2012, 06:10:36 pm »
Ignore

Senators, the Atlasian National Broadcaster Bill is now at final vote, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2012, 06:14:28 pm »
Ignore

Aye.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2012, 06:21:23 pm »
Ignore

NAY

Might as well have the traditional Christmas color combination here. Tongue

Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2012, 07:25:30 pm »
Ignore

Aye.

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2012, 08:27:37 pm »
Ignore

Aye
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout