Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 06:42:08 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Swiss target German tax officials
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Swiss target German tax officials  (Read 291 times)
Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:55:59 am »
Ignore

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news_digest/Arrest_of_German_tax_officials_demanded.html?cid=32396400

The Swiss authorities have ordered the arrest of three German tax officials, accused of taking part in the purchase of a CD of stolen bank data that was sold to authorities in North Rhine-Westphalia.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 07:13:02 am »
Ignore

Mixed feelings about the whole thing. Law enforcement officers buying stolen property is not a good thing. On the other hand tax evasion is so rampant in many countries it undermines their entire welfare system, and the Swiss "bank snitches" are doing the rest of Europe a favour (even though the dirty money will just be hidden somewhere else).

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:29:56 am »
Ignore

German finance minister Wolfgang Schäuble considers the decision of the Swiss authorities understandable:

"Die Schweiz hat ihr Strafrecht und in der Schweiz ist die Verletzung des Bankgeheimnisses mit Strafe bedroht."
(Switzerland has its own penal law and in Switzerland the violation of bank secrecy is punishable)

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/wirtschaft/konjunktur/Schweizer-Haftbefehl-gegen-deutsche-Steuerbeamte/story/20132412
Markus Brandenburg
Old Europe
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 05:03:08 pm »
Ignore

^^^

I guess Germany still won't extradite anyone, because those officials were merely, um, executing policy of the Northrhine-Westphalian state government.

(And I see the slippery slope... because a similar thing could be said about CIA officials who were torturing terrorist suspect.)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout