Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 04:17:10 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: The New Atlasian Healthcare Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The New Atlasian Healthcare Act (Law'd)  (Read 6184 times)
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2012, 11:52:28 am »
Ignore

The New Atlasian Healthcare Act
Section 1- Eligibility and Benefits

(a.) All individuals residing in Atlasia are eligible to be covered under the Atlasian National Health Care Program offering them a high quality standard of care.
    (b.) The health care benefits under this Act cover all medically necessary services, including at least the following:

Primary care and prevention.
            Inpatient care.
            Outpatient care.
            Emergency care.
            Prescription drugs.
            Durable medical equipment.
            Long-term care.
            Palliative care.
            Mental health services.
            The full scope of dental services (other than cosmetic dentistry).
            Substance abuse treatment services.
            Chiropractic services.
            Basic vision care and vision correction (other than laser vision correction for cosmetic purposes).
            Hearing services, including coverage of hearing aids.
            Podiatric care.

(c.) Such benefits are available through any licensed health care clinician anywhere in Atlasia that is legally qualified to provide the benefits.
    (d.) No deductibles, co-payments, coinsurance, or other cost-sharing shall be imposed with respect to covered benefits, but additional insurance from private sources is not forbidden.
    (e.) All private and public hospitals and doctors are required to be participating providers, and are not permitted to deny care on the basis of one's enrollment in the Atlasian National Health Care Program.
    (f.) All health insurance companies, public or private, shall be required to join the health insurance Exchange to be legally licensed to provide services. No company in the Exchange may deny coverage on the basis of previous health condition. The Exchange shall be governed by the Health Directorate, who shall be responsible for determining proper levels of reimbursement, management, administration and other related health industry needs.
(g.) Prescription drug companies shall not be allowed to advertise their products outside of certified medical journals.

Section 2- Finances

(a.) The Atlasian Government, through the Atlasian National Health Care Program's regional offices, shall be financially obligated to cover: all costs from services and benefits provided to the enrolled by the participating providers for individuals below 250% the poverty level; 50% of the costs from services and benefits provided to the enrolled by the participating providers for individuals between 250% the poverty level and $250,000; and 10% of the costs from services and benefits provided to the enrolled by the participating providers for individuals above $250,000.
    (b.) Licensed health care clinicians who accept any payment from the Atlasian National Health Care Program may not bill any patient for any covered service.
    (c.) Funding for this proposal shall be drawn from the following sources:

Cost reductions in other federal health programs, including Medicare and Medicaid, as a result of administrative and cost savings and shifts in funding priorities
            Taxes levied on health insurance benefits as follows: 0.5% for incomes below 250% the poverty level; 2% for incomes between 250% the poverty level and $250,000; 3.5% for incomes between $250,001 and $1,000,000; and 5.5% for incomes above $1,000,000.

Section 3- Administration

(a.) This Act shall be administered by the Health Directorate, made up by a Chairman and the Executives of the regional CHP boards.
    (b.) Medicare and Medicaid shall be phased out, with all necessary personnel and services being transferred to the Atlasian National Health Care Program upon its establishment.

Section 4- Regional Administration

(a.) The provision of healthcare and the administration of budgets and services shall be the responsibility of independent Community Health Partnerships (CHPs) congruent to the existing Regions These shall be established as public sector corporations. Each CHP shall be headed by a board consisting of one Executive and further non-executive members.
    (b.) CHP members shall be selected by the Health Directorate and shall be a non-partisan gathering of experts in the medical, pharmaceutical, and health insurance and administration industries.
    (c.) All boards shall be required to have an audit committee consisting only of non-executive members on which the chair may not sit. This committee shall be entrusted with the supervision of financial audit and of systems of corporate governance within the CHP.
    (d.) CHP's shall have responsibility for delivering primary and community services and commission them from other providers, and are involved in commissioning secondary care. Each CHP shall have their own budget and set their own priorities and shall directly provide a range of community health services including but not exclusive to;

The provision of funding for general practitioners and medical prescriptions.
            The commission of hospital and mental health services from the private sector.

(e.) All members, directors and associated bodies shall be accountable to the Health Directorate as outlined in Section 3 of this Act.

Sponsor: Scott
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:28:12 pm by Senator North Carolina Yankee »Logged

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:45:23 pm »
Ignore

I propose this amendment to Section 1b.

(b.) The health care benefits under this Act cover all medically necessary services, including at least the following:

Inpatient care.
            Outpatient care.
            Emergency care.
            Prescription drugs.
            Long-term care.
            Palliative care.
            Mental health services.
            Chiropractic services.
            Basic vision care and vision correction (other than laser vision correction for cosmetic purposes).
            Podiatric care.
            Contraceptive services.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »
Ignore

SPONSOR!!!!!!!!!!!

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:05:08 pm »
Ignore

The New Atlasian Healthcare Act

(a.) All individuals residing in Atlasia are eligible to be covered under the Atlasian National Health Care Program offering them a high quality standard of care.

Inpatient care.
            Outpatient care.
            Emergency care.
            Prescription drugs.
            Long-term care.
            Palliative care.
            Mental health services.
            Chiropractic services.
            Podiatric care.

(c.) Such benefits are available through any licensed health care clinician anywhere in Atlasia that is legally qualified to provide the benefits.
    (d.) No deductibles, co-payments, coinsurance, or other cost-sharing shall be imposed with respect to covered benefits, but additional insurance from private sources is not forbidden.
    (e.) All private and public hospitals and doctors are required to be participating providers, and are not permitted to deny care on the basis of one's enrollment in the Atlasian National Health Care Program.
    (f.) All health insurance companies, public or private, shall be required to join the health insurance Exchange to be legally licensed to provide services. No company in the Exchange may deny coverage on the basis of previous health condition. The Exchange shall be governed by the Health Directorate, who shall be responsible for determining proper levels of reimbursement, management, administration and other related health industry needs.
(g.) Prescription drug companies shall not be allowed to advertise their products outside of certified medical journals.

Section 2- Finances

(a.) The Atlasian Government, through the Atlasian National Health Care Program's regional offices, shall be financially obligated to cover: all costs 90% of costs from services and benefits provided to the enrolled by the participating providers for individuals below 250% the poverty level; 50% of the costs from services and benefits provided to the enrolled by the participating providers for individuals between 250% the poverty level and $250,000; and 10% of the costs from services and benefits provided to the enrolled by the participating providers for individuals above $250,000. The total out of pocket payment for you or your family for the whole year may not exceed beyond 5% of your income if you make less than 250% of the poverty level. It cannot exceed 15% of your income if you make between 250% of the poverty level and $250,000 a year. It cannot exceed above 25% of your income if you make more than $250,000 a year. Nothing will need to be paid for preventative care by anyone of any income.
    (b.) Licensed health care clinicians who accept any payment from the Atlasian National Health Care Program may not bill any patient for any covered service.

Cost reductions in other federal health programs, including Medicare and Medicaid, as a result of administrative and cost savings and shifts in funding priorities
            Taxes levied on health insurance benefits as follows: 0.5% for incomes below 250% the poverty level; 2% for incomes between 250% the poverty level and $250,000; 3.5% for incomes between $250,001 and $1,000,000; and 5.5% for incomes above $1,000,000.

(a.) This Act shall be administered by the Health Directorate, made up by a Chairman and the Executives of the regional CHP boards.
    (b.) Medicare and Medicaid shall be phased out, with all necessary personnel and services being transferred to the Atlasian National Health Care Program upon its establishment.

(a.) The provision of healthcare and the administration of budgets and services shall be the responsibility of independent Community Health Partnerships (CHPs) congruent to the existing Regions These shall be established as public sector corporations. Each CHP shall be headed by a board consisting of one Executive and further non-executive members.
    (b.) CHP members shall be selected by the Health Directorate and shall be a non-partisan gathering of experts in the medical, pharmaceutical, and health insurance and administration industries.
    (c.) All boards shall be required to have an audit committee consisting only of non-executive members on which the chair may not sit. This committee shall be entrusted with the supervision of financial audit and of systems of corporate governance within the CHP.
    (d.) CHP's shall have responsibility for delivering primary and community services and commission them from other providers, and are involved in commissioning secondary care. Each CHP shall have their own budget and set their own priorities and shall directly provide a range of community health services including but not exclusive to;

(e.) All members, directors and associated bodies shall be accountable to the Health Directorate as outlined in Section 3 of this Act.

Sponsor: MoPolitico

I propose this amendment. I struck out Section 1d since a later part of the bill already had co-insurance in it. That would be Section 2a. I also made some changes to it. I think those making less than 250 times the poverty level should have to pay 10% since it disincentives overuse of health care. I also made sure there are limits to how much people pay out of their own pockets for incomes greater than 250 times the poverty level. An angioplasty costs 25k these days and having someone making 50k pay half of that would be wrong. In addition we should encourage preventative care and that will be completely covered by the government with no cost sharing required by anyone.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:22:23 pm by Senator Sbane »Logged
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:13:59 pm »
Ignore

Also I am a little unclear on the funding mechanism. Is the tax on your health care benefits or your overall income?
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:24:26 pm »
Ignore

This looks like it's just the current law with a few amendments. Which parts are being changed?

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 07:43:28 pm »
Ignore

Like I posted in the Senate Protest and Analysis thread:

I am having trouble seeing the differences between this bill and the law we already have, and why this should be considered an improvement.  For that matter, why go through the trouble of repealing the previous law when you could simply amend it if you're that dissatisfied with it but want to keep the overall structure in place?  

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 02:46:29 pm »
Ignore

Where the hell is MoPolitico?

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 10:14:29 pm »
Ignore

What happens if he doesn't turn up -and soon?  Does someone else have to sponsor this bill or does it get dropped? 

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 04:19:59 pm »
Ignore

What happens if he doesn't turn up -and soon?  Does someone else have to sponsor this bill or does it get dropped? 

Technically I should this: http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=119311.msg3249357#msg3249357

But I won't since I don't beleive he has been on since then and thus didn't see my PM about it, I won't. I can't change the sponsor unless he motions for withdrawal, and I can't add co-sponsors without his consent. I can't replace him unless he ceases to be a Senator.

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 10:22:15 pm »
Ignore

I will gladly sponsor this bill, with my changes of course, if MoPolitico doesn't show up.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 07:41:33 am »
Ignore

That would take weeks though. If he can't find the time to deal with this bill then we need MoPolitico to move to withdraw the bill. THen someone can volunteer to replace him as sponsor.

Is he on Facebook? Could someone get him on there?

MOP
MOPolitico
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 08:22:04 am »
Ignore

I profusely apologize; I have been extremely busy lately and haven't had the time to drop in here. But, I'm here now. Now: I accept both amendments as friendly.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 12:29:05 pm »
Ignore

Senators have 24 hours to object to to both amendments and my decapitation of the sponsor.

Where is that axe?

Fmr. President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 06:34:40 pm »
Ignore

Can I note my personal concern that Yankee is headed for a 'Falling Down' type episode... for those of you not old enough to know what that is... google. Smiley

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
JCL and the Geologist
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 08:42:39 pm »
Ignore

Inpatient care.
            Outpatient care.
            Emergency care.
            Prescription drugs.
            Long-term care.
            Palliative care.
            Mental health services.
            Chiropractic services.
            Podiatric care.
            Contraceptive services.

The conservative citizens within Atlasia have no desire for their hard earned income be used for contraceptive services. We obviously know abortion services would fall within the scope of this bill. As a citizen and as a regional representative I urge the senate to not add to section b of this bill and in fact oppose this bill should contraceptive services remain in the bill.

Congressional Races
Jackie Walorski (R/IN-2)
Marlin Stutzman (R/IN-3)
Todd Rokita (R/IN-4)
Chard Reid (Lib/IN-5)
Luke Messer (R/IN-6)
Carlos May (R/IN-7)
Larry Bucshon (R/IN-8)
Todd Young (R/IN-9)
Tom Massie (R/KY-4)
GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 08:44:31 pm »
Ignore

I voice my disapproval of the Whig War on Women.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 08:59:44 pm »
Ignore

Inpatient care.
            Outpatient care.
            Emergency care.
            Prescription drugs.
            Long-term care.
            Palliative care.
            Mental health services.
            Chiropractic services.
            Podiatric care.
            Contraceptive services.

The conservative citizens within Atlasia have no desire for their hard earned income be used for contraceptive services. We obviously know abortion services would fall within the scope of this bill. As a citizen and as a regional representative I urge the senate to not add to section b of this bill and in fact oppose this bill should contraceptive services remain in the bill.

I'm merely trying to destroy the family as we know it, here.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:01:46 pm by Senator Scott »Logged

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 10:37:46 pm »
Ignore

Inpatient care.
            Outpatient care.
            Emergency care.
            Prescription drugs.
            Long-term care.
            Palliative care.
            Mental health services.
            Chiropractic services.
            Podiatric care.
            Contraceptive services.

I don't see any reason why "contraceptive services" would include abortions. I'm guessing this amendment would just add vasectomies or tube-tying surgeries since birth control pills would already be covered under prescription drugs.

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 11:02:37 pm »
Ignore

Inpatient care.
            Outpatient care.
            Emergency care.
            Prescription drugs.
            Long-term care.
            Palliative care.
            Mental health services.
            Chiropractic services.
            Podiatric care.
            Contraceptive services.

I don't see any reason why "contraceptive services" would include abortions. I'm guessing this amendment would just add vasectomies or tube-tying surgeries since birth control pills would already be covered under prescription drugs.

Correct.  The amendment would not, in fact, cover abortions, since abortion is not a contraceptive.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 05:28:42 pm »
Ignore

The Amendments have passed.

Can I note my personal concern that Yankee is headed for a 'Falling Down' type episode... for those of you not old enough to know what that is... google. Smiley

Only if you idiots drag me down, maybe. Tongue

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 08:35:45 pm »
Ignore

This looks like it's just the current law with a few amendments. Which parts are being changed?
Given how many headaches have been caused trying to understand the law as currently written and finding a way to pat for it,  this is still something that needs to be answered.

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 09:42:16 pm »
Ignore

Given how many headaches have been caused trying to understand the law as currently written and finding a way to pat for it,  this is still something that needs to be answered.

Atlasian who can afford to pay for a portion of their healthcare will have to do so, to make the program sustainable.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:31 pm »
Ignore

(a.) All individuals residing in Atlasia are eligible covered under the Atlasian National Health Care Program entitling them to a universal, best high quality standard of care.

Inpatient care.
            Outpatient care.
            Emergency care.
            Prescription drugs.
            Long-term care.
            Palliative care.
            Mental health services.
            Chiropractic services.
            Podiatric care.
            Contraceptive services

Section 2- Finances

(a.) The Atlasian Government, through the Atlasian National Health Care Program's regional offices, shall be financially obligated to cover: 90% of costs from services and benefits provided to the enrolled by the participating providers for individuals below 250% the poverty level; 50% of the costs from services and benefits provided to the enrolled by the participating providers for individuals between 250% the poverty level and $250,000; and 10% of the costs from services and benefits provided to the enrolled by the participating providers for individuals above $250,000. The total out of pocket payment for you or your family for the whole year may not exceed beyond 5% of your income if you make less than 250% of the poverty level. It cannot exceed 15% of your income if you make between 250% of the poverty level and $250,000 a year. It cannot exceed above 25% of your income if you make more than $250,000 a year. Nothing will need to be paid for preventative care by anyone of any income.

Taxes levied on health insurance benefits as follows: 0.5% for incomes below 250% the poverty level; 2% for incomes between 250% the poverty level and $250,000; 3.5% for incomes between $250,001 and $1,000,000; and 5%5.5% for incomes above $1,000,000.

I am highlighting the changes made to the original law passed in 2009 including the two amendments that have been added on and the parts that have been struck out.
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 10:41:25 am »
Ignore

Healthcare policy is confusing.  So Sbane is giving us the changes that have happened since the current Atlasian policy?  I like the addition of contraception and a ban on advertising of drugs, but would someone explain to me how Section 2(a) is different from our current policy?  Does it just provide more detail?

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
In New Zealand for a conference and vacation through July 14th Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout