Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 08:35:04 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: The New Atlasian Healthcare Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The New Atlasian Healthcare Act (Law'd)  (Read 6315 times)
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2012, 06:48:06 pm »
Ignore

I would support covering cochlear implants. Not sure about speech-language pathology though. I read the wiki and couldn't find anything worth supporting....but maybe you can change my mind. Is this working with people who stutter, have lisps and other speech disorders?
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2012, 09:25:46 pm »
Ignore

I would support covering cochlear implants. Not sure about speech-language pathology though. I read the wiki and couldn't find anything worth supporting....but maybe you can change my mind. Is this working with people who stutter, have lisps and other speech disorders?

Precisely.  There's no reason why we shouldn't cover SLP if we're covering mental health issues... if Atlasia's progressed to the point that we realize that mental problems aren't just a "character flaw" and deserve treatment and help, why shouldn't we do the same for people who stutter or have even more serious language impairments?

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 12:38:18 pm »
Ignore

Senators have 72 hours to object to Senator Scott's assumption of sponsorship.

How does the new sponsor view my amendment?

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »
Ignore

I would not support covering cochlear implants because I do not support the biomedical model of disability.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2012, 01:53:30 pm »
Ignore

The amendment is unfriendly.
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2012, 02:12:16 pm »
Ignore

Precisely.  There's no reason why we shouldn't cover SLP if we're covering mental health issues... if Atlasia's progressed to the point that we realize that mental problems aren't just a "character flaw" and deserve treatment and help, why shouldn't we do the same for people who stutter or have even more serious language impairments?

Ok, yeah that sounds like something worthwhile of funding. Though I should ask, is there evidence of these therapies working?

Also Nathan, can you further explain why you don't support cochlear implants? Just not believing in disability is hardly adequate.
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 02:39:51 pm »
Ignore

Ok, yeah that sounds like something worthwhile of funding. Though I should ask, is there evidence of these therapies working?

Also Nathan, can you further explain why you don't support cochlear implants? Just not believing in disability is hardly adequate.

It's not that I disbelieve in disability per se, but my first instinct is to oppose this because of personal connections, through friends, to Deaf culture (as opposed to simply deaf people), so I would need to know whether or not we're funding schools for the deaf/schools for the blind/whatever and other such things before I would be able to rationally alter that instinctual position. If we might fund social programs for disabled people, to be run by and for disabled people, then I would drop my objections to funding what I personally view as a falsely 'corrective' medical attitude towards these things for those people who might want it.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2012, 03:43:11 pm »
Ignore

I need to understand a bit more about Deaf culture. Are they saying that being deaf is alright? I mean it's definitely fine and they are just normal human beings but I would think being able to hear, or being able to hear better would be preferable......
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2012, 06:34:30 pm »
Ignore

I need to understand a bit more about Deaf culture. Are they saying that being deaf is alright? I mean it's definitely fine and they are just normal human beings but I would think being able to hear, or being able to hear better would be preferable......

Don't let the Deaf community hear you say that.  I think the community is pretty awesome, personally, so if we also want to fund deaf schools, etc. some in this bill, I'd be fine with it.  I think it's important that we give families a choice.  While, like I said, I do appreciate the Deaf community and its contributions, I also think both sides of the CI debate need to realize that hearing need not prevent you from being Deaf.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2012, 06:39:35 pm »
Ignore

Well, I'm baffled why one would not want to have all five senses but regardless I support funding deaf schools. Maybe in a separate bill though, lest we go down the path of the US congress. Tongue
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2012, 11:08:22 pm »
Ignore

Well, I'm baffled why one would not want to have all five senses but regardless I support funding deaf schools. Maybe in a separate bill though, lest we go down the path of the US congress. Tongue

If one's been deaf for a very long time one apparently doesn't perceive it as a loss. I'm not sure what precise perceived benefits it would bring, but I assume they're mostly cultural vis-a-vis other deaf people. Hence the idea of a Deaf culture.

I'll work on rustling up some sort of deaf schools bill next week.

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2012, 05:01:46 pm »
Ignore

Well, it would help deaf people in the workplace and school one would imagine. I understand why from the perspective of someone who is deaf it might not seem like a loss, but I think it's apparent they would benefit in the larger society if they were able to hear.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »
Ignore

The below amendment is now at vote, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

I can't update the Noticeboard or the tracker till later.

Section 1 clause b is amended as follows:

(b.) The health care benefits under this Act cover all medically necessary services, including at least the following:

Primary care and prevention.
            Inpatient care.
            Outpatient care.
            Emergency care.
            Prescription drugs.
            Durable medical equipment.
            Long-term care.
            Palliative care.
            Mental health services.
            The full scope of dental services (other than cosmetic dentistry).
            Substance abuse treatment services.
            Chiropractic services.           
            Basic vision care and vision correction (other than laser vision correction for cosmetic purposes).
            Hearing services, including coverage of hearing aids.
            Podiatric care.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2012, 06:33:11 pm »
Ignore

Nay

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2012, 07:29:52 pm »
Ignore

Abstain
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2012, 07:57:02 pm »
Ignore

Yup Grin

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2012, 09:03:18 pm »
Ignore

Nay.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »
Ignore

Aye

Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2012, 05:26:50 am »
Ignore

Abstain.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2012, 11:54:13 am »
Ignore

Aye

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2012, 02:07:06 pm »
Ignore

I suggest mentioning the health payroll part of the funding in the text of this bill (whether you keep it as is, change it or repeal/replace it), so that it is comprehensive.

Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2012, 08:31:28 pm »
Ignore

Nay.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2012, 08:16:10 pm »
Ignore

Vote on Amendment 48:20:

Aye (3): Clarence, Ilikeverin, and NC Yankee
Nay (3): Nathan, Scott, and TJ in Cleve
Abstain (2): Alfred F. Jones and Sbane

Didn't Vote (1): Pingvin99 (Lame duck Senators are Lame, that goes for Nathan too. Tongue Alfred keeps voting thank god. I should of gone with my "anime instincts" and voted for him. Wink)

With three votes in the affirmative, three votes in the negative and two abstentions, the vote is tied. Vice President is required to break the tie.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2012, 08:18:19 pm »
Ignore

I suggest mentioning the health payroll part of the funding in the text of this bill (whether you keep it as is, change it or repeal/replace it), so that it is comprehensive.

It would be appreciated if the sponsor, Senator Scott, could respond to this point and soon. Tongue

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2012, 08:20:22 pm »
Ignore

I'm here. I will be reviewing the amendment carefully and will make a final decision by the end of the night.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout