SENATE BILL: The New Atlasian Healthcare Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:54:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The New Atlasian Healthcare Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The New Atlasian Healthcare Act (Law'd)  (Read 19681 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 23, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »

I would not support covering cochlear implants because I do not support the biomedical model of disability.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

I would support covering cochlear implants. Not sure about speech-language pathology though. I read the wiki and couldn't find anything worth supporting....but maybe you can change my mind. Is this working with people who stutter, have lisps and other speech disorders?

Precisely.  There's no reason why we shouldn't cover SLP if we're covering mental health issues... if Atlasia's progressed to the point that we realize that mental problems aren't just a "character flaw" and deserve treatment and help, why shouldn't we do the same for people who stutter or have even more serious language impairments?

Ok, yeah that sounds like something worthwhile of funding. Though I should ask, is there evidence of these therapies working?

Also Nathan, can you further explain why you don't support cochlear implants? Just not believing in disability is hardly adequate.

It's not that I disbelieve in disability per se, but my first instinct is to oppose this because of personal connections, through friends, to Deaf culture (as opposed to simply deaf people), so I would need to know whether or not we're funding schools for the deaf/schools for the blind/whatever and other such things before I would be able to rationally alter that instinctual position. If we might fund social programs for disabled people, to be run by and for disabled people, then I would drop my objections to funding what I personally view as a falsely 'corrective' medical attitude towards these things for those people who might want it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:08:22 PM »

Well, I'm baffled why one would not want to have all five senses but regardless I support funding deaf schools. Maybe in a separate bill though, lest we go down the path of the US congress. Tongue

If one's been deaf for a very long time one apparently doesn't perceive it as a loss. I'm not sure what precise perceived benefits it would bring, but I assume they're mostly cultural vis-a-vis other deaf people. Hence the idea of a Deaf culture.

I'll work on rustling up some sort of deaf schools bill next week.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »

Nay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies