2008 McCain/Romney vs. Obama/Biden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:46:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 McCain/Romney vs. Obama/Biden
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008 McCain/Romney vs. Obama/Biden  (Read 3235 times)
Tidewater_Wave
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:49:15 PM »

Romney would've helped McCain but wouldn't have put him over the top. Also, I don't see them getting along enough to be on the ticket together.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:48:56 PM »

Romney would've helped McCain but wouldn't have put him over the top. Also, I don't see them getting along enough to be on the ticket together.

Heh, no.  Palin was an asset, propelling McCain from being down by 15 points in July to up by 5 in September.  Alabama (and alaska for that matter) was a swing state.  Still only lost by 7, and that's after a few nasty interviews.  All in all, watch Game Change.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 12:32:13 AM »

Heh, no.  Palin was an asset, propelling McCain from being down by 15 points in July to up by 5 in September.  Alabama (and alaska for that matter) was a swing state.  Still only lost by 7, and that's after a few nasty interviews.  All in all, watch Game Change.

I remember McCain being even with Obama and Clinton until Obama had clinched the nomination in late June. After that he was 3-5 points ahead of McCain until he picked Palin which gave McCain a 4-6 point lead until the housing market collapse. All in all, I don't really think that many people pay attention to the VP nominee and wouldn't put it as even being a top 25 issue. Still, I think Romney would've helped just enough to make it a 51-48 race or so.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:27:11 AM »

I remember McCain being even with Obama and Clinton until Obama had clinched the nomination in late June. After that he was 3-5 points ahead of McCain until he picked Palin which gave McCain a 4-6 point lead until the housing market collapse. All in all, I don't really think that many people pay attention to the VP nominee and wouldn't put it as even being a top 25 issue. Still, I think Romney would've helped just enough to make it a 51-48 race or so.

People don't usually pay attention.  That's why she was a "game change" Wink.  Anyway, she was an asset, as she is now, because of her general likability in person and her great speaking skills (one-on-one is where she ran into trouble).  MittBot didn't/doesn't have those things going for him.  He's not a great "rally the troops" guy, and McCain was already running into trouble with the base thinking he wasn't a real conservative; the Massachusetts Moderate wouldn't help.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 02:47:03 PM »

Obama/Biden (Democratic): 421 EV
McCain/Romney (Republican): 117 EV

2008 was the worst environment for an incumbent party to run in since 1932 and the GOP Ticket of McCain and Romney would have been crushed because no one could get excited about that. Palin, despite the myths, saved the perennially unlikable McCain from the above scenario. I could see McCain/Ridge or McCain/Lieberman (which I think were the top two choices of the senile Arizonan) winning four or five states, so Romney was probably the second best choice after Palin.

Too many McCain staffers have decided to spin the fact that they could not run a campaign by blaming Palin, whom all the hopes of the campaign were pinned on, for losing the race. The fact is McCain was selling a ketchup Popsicle and Palin was almost able to sell it to the American people. That's some talent that one has to be born with. 
Jax27
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »

I can't agree with that map. Alabama is about as sure as any state to go Republican. Palin cost and helped McCain so I think it evened out as far as she goes. She was a game changer, but it didn't last long after the housing market collapsed. Alaska is another safe GOP state.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 05:33:49 PM »

the reason why mccain didn't choose romney in 2008 is because both of them would of owned 18 houses total.

Sigged Wink
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:57:17 PM »

the reason why mccain didn't choose romney in 2008 is because both of them would of owned 18 houses total.

It was the gaffe where McCain couldn't remember how many houses he owned that put Romney out of consideration.

Although Romney's corporate connections would very likely have hurt the campaign in the home stretch. Dems would have pounced.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 03:49:13 PM »

It was the gaffe where McCain couldn't remember how many houses he owned that put Romney out of consideration.

Dems would have pounced.

Whats new...

So true...  Poor Mitt.  No pun intended Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies