Iowa-style Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:35:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Iowa-style Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Iowa-style Redistricting  (Read 3869 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »

From this one can also estimate how many counties one should need to expect whole county redistricting to have a range of less than 1%. That limit is about 8.3 counties per district. With fewer counties, the model would predict a range in excess of 7000 or about 1% of an ideal district. The above ME example is a case in point, since it has only 8 counties per CD and has a range just over 1%.

Doh, I was thinking "range" was just the highest deviation for some reason.  That'll teach me to read better.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 02:01:15 AM »

Can you do Washington(Preserving the acceptable mountain and ferry crossings)? I want to see how bad of a gerrymander 2010 is.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 07:30:04 AM »

Can you do Washington(Preserving the acceptable mountain and ferry crossings)? I want to see how bad of a gerrymander 2010 is.

WA can't be done directly with whole counties since there are counties larger than a district. Once I complete the data analysis from those that can, I will suggest a way to extend that to states like WA.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 02:36:45 AM »

WA can't be done directly with whole counties since there are counties larger than a district. Once I complete the data analysis from those that can, I will suggest a way to extend that to states like WA.
It would be interesting to use the 2011 estimates to see whether maps would radically change from year to year.   And perhaps draw N+1 and N-1 districts.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 06:12:09 PM »

It would be interesting to use the 2011 estimates to see whether maps would radically change from year to year.   And perhaps draw N+1 and N-1 districts.

I think the more interesting question is how rapidly a whole-county district map drawn with best precision become indistinguishable in terms of deviations from a more compact version that started with more generous population tolerances.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 05:26:44 PM »

New Mexico:

Oregon, Colorado, and Utah can not be done.

I got the green district less spread-out, at least:

-737/+234/+503.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 01:24:31 PM »

New Mexico:

-737/+234/+503.

Interesting and the range is smaller, too. Since the purple district gets more spread out, I wonder if compactness is better or worse.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »

New Mexico:

-737/+234/+503.

Interesting and the range is smaller, too. Since the purple district gets more spread out, I wonder if compactness is better or worse.

That's actually quite similar to the 1980's map, for what it's worth.

I don't know what standards New Mexico used to redistrict in the 1980's, but there's definitely a precedent for a district stretching from the southwest across the southeast to the northeast.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2023, 06:27:39 AM »

Interesting thread.
What would this look like on 2020s numbers?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies