Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 10:41:54 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  Iowa-style Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Iowa-style Redistricting  (Read 1835 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 01:45:10 pm »
Ignore

From this one can also estimate how many counties one should need to expect whole county redistricting to have a range of less than 1%. That limit is about 8.3 counties per district. With fewer counties, the model would predict a range in excess of 7000 or about 1% of an ideal district. The above ME example is a case in point, since it has only 8 counties per CD and has a range just over 1%.

Doh, I was thinking "range" was just the highest deviation for some reason.  That'll teach me to read better.

Quote from: Alice Goodman
To those who come prepared to see and hear only what they want to see and hear, nothing one can say is of any use.

Economic: -4.45
Social: -6.52
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 02:01:15 am »
Ignore

Can you do Washington(Preserving the acceptable mountain and ferry crossings)? I want to see how bad of a gerrymander 2010 is.
muon2
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 07:30:04 am »

Can you do Washington(Preserving the acceptable mountain and ferry crossings)? I want to see how bad of a gerrymander 2010 is.

WA can't be done directly with whole counties since there are counties larger than a district. Once I complete the data analysis from those that can, I will suggest a way to extend that to states like WA.

Partial solar eclipse of October 23, 2014 with a cloud and large sunspot.
jimrtex
YaBB God
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 02:36:45 am »
Ignore

WA can't be done directly with whole counties since there are counties larger than a district. Once I complete the data analysis from those that can, I will suggest a way to extend that to states like WA.
It would be interesting to use the 2011 estimates to see whether maps would radically change from year to year.   And perhaps draw N+1 and N-1 districts.
muon2
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 06:12:09 pm »

It would be interesting to use the 2011 estimates to see whether maps would radically change from year to year.   And perhaps draw N+1 and N-1 districts.

I think the more interesting question is how rapidly a whole-county district map drawn with best precision become indistinguishable in terms of deviations from a more compact version that started with more generous population tolerances.

JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 05:26:44 pm »
Ignore

New Mexico:

Oregon, Colorado, and Utah can not be done.

I got the green district less spread-out, at least:

-737/+234/+503.
muon2
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 01:24:31 pm »

New Mexico:

-737/+234/+503.

Interesting and the range is smaller, too. Since the purple district gets more spread out, I wonder if compactness is better or worse.

Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 03:22:20 pm »
Ignore

New Mexico:

-737/+234/+503.

Interesting and the range is smaller, too. Since the purple district gets more spread out, I wonder if compactness is better or worse.

That's actually quite similar to the 1980's map, for what it's worth.

I don't know what standards New Mexico used to redistrict in the 1980's, but there's definitely a precedent for a district stretching from the southwest across the southeast to the northeast.

Seriously, it was time to change back to the real avatar.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout