Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 07:36:50 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  So it turns out...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: So it turns out...  (Read 528 times)
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:06:06 pm »
Ignore

...that if you mess with the map code, you can actually make maps dating back to 1824. And I'll have to check up on this, but assuming that the same amount of states were in existence between 1820 and 1824, you could make an 1820 map too without it looking awkward (empty states, like when you create an 1800 map using the map code and just leave states gray or white). What's with this?

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:12:51 pm »
Ignore

I'm confused as to what you're asking.  Yes... we have map making capabilities that go back to the 1800s.  Is that what you're asking?
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:20:35 pm »
Ignore

On the EV calc, you can only go back to 1840. Fiddling with the map code, specifically the tear specification, you can actually go back to 1824. I guess what I'm asking is why we can't do that on the EV calc. I was more just pointing that out, but yeah, I guess that's what I'm asking.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:42:52 pm »
Ignore

On the EV calc, you can only go back to 1840. Fiddling with the map code, specifically the tear specification, you can actually go back to 1824. I guess what I'm asking is why we can't do that on the EV calc. I was more just pointing that out, but yeah, I guess that's what I'm asking.

I'm guessing Dave was working on updating the maps to get them fully functional and never updated the EV calc options.  I'd suggest e-mailing him if you want him to update it.
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 03:32:41 am »
Ignore

Interesting...

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It really is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:58:43 pm »
Ignore

There are several reasons why Dave is unlikely to go earlier than 1824.

1) In the earlier elections, you have a far wider variety of methods of selecting electors than statewide winner-take-all.  Indeed, technically, 1824, 1828, and 1832 do not at present allow for the full range of options.  Maryland was single-member districts with no statewide electors thru 1832 (Tennessee used the same method thru 1828 and three more states used it in 1824), Maine used the 1 per CD plus 2 statewide through 1828, and in 1828 New York used a funky method where the voters elected 1 elector per CD and then those electors picked 2 more.

2) The popular vote was not used as much in selecting electors in those earlier elections.

3) For 1820, Dave would need to change the shapes of both Missouri and Massachusetts.

My November ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
Yes: Amendment 1 (Gen. Assembly may allow and regulate charity raffles)
No: Amendment 2 (end election of the Adjutant General)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout