Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:36:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes (Religious)

Yes (Non-Religious)

No (Religious)

No (Non-Religious)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description)  (Read 5854 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2012, 12:24:22 AM »

And you are like his underlying, who states 'Family Guy is funny' without giving any reasonable indication as to how or why.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2012, 12:51:30 AM »

I get the impression the video was made simply to mock Family Guy detractors, and that the creator does like Family Guy since Hitler's "arguments" are pretty silly. Then again that might be putting too much thought into a memetic mutation result video.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2012, 01:13:14 AM »

I get the impression the video was made simply to mock Family Guy detractors, and that the creator does like Family Guy since Hitler's "arguments" are pretty silly. Then again that might be putting too much thought into a memetic mutation result video.

Eh, probably; but the 'arguments' for Family Guy being good presented are nonexistent.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't enjoy Family Guy; enjoyability obviously is entirely subjective. Quality is also in part subjective, but I think there are basic principles and standards that comic writers, no matter the medium, should try to meet, and I don't think Seth MacFarlane or the other people in charge of the show understand them very well.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2012, 02:17:13 AM »

Meh, I think he (Seth) is funny.  I enjoy FG and AD, and even watch the Cleveland Show every week, though it's probably the least funny of all the "adult" cartoons I watch (and I watch most of them).

My biggest issue (if you can call it that) with BRTD on the general subject is his nonsensical hatred of SP and it's creators.  I assume it's because the biggest fans of the show are people he disagrees with politically/socially (thus in his eyes, idiots) so he, a long time ago, came to the conclusion the show is conservative propaganda garbage and he ignores all evidence to the contrary.  The more everybody tries to explain why he's wrong, the deeper he sinks into his delusions.  It's a common thing for people, there probably is a word for it, but I don't know (or don't remember) what that word is.  Cornered rat syndrome?

I could certainly be wrong, but there has to be some reason he is completely blind to the fact that Matt and Trey are anything but "conservative".  Libertarian leaning, of course, not particularly liberal (in the modern American sense of the word), sure.  But in no way are they conservative....in any sense of the word.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2012, 04:38:48 AM »

When was this time when people didn't have religion?   And didn't have any wars?   Sounds like Seth never showed up to his world history class in middle school and so filled in the blanks in his knowledge with a John Lennon song.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2012, 06:16:12 AM »

When was this time when people didn't have religion?   And didn't have any wars?   Sounds like Seth never showed up to his world history class in middle school and so filled in the blanks in his knowledge with a John Lennon song.

You do understand what a joke is, right?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »

He clearly understands what a bad one is when he sees it.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2012, 02:02:22 PM »

He clearly understands what a bad one is when he sees it.

Not finding the joke funny is one thing, criticizing it for historical accuracy when it's blatantly obvious that it was not meant to be historically accurate is another thing.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »

I assumed it was a satire upon religion, and so attempted an at least tangential basis in some character of religion. Are you suggesting the joke is something else?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2012, 12:46:52 AM »

Yes, this is similar to if I made a "satire" of Republicans that was like a guy basically saying "Look at me, I'm a Republican. Haha, I hate blacks and poors. *shoots some blacks and poor looking people*"

Of course Seth would never do that, his anti-Republican satire is far more intelligent and biting. But whenever he bashes Christianity it's just stupid.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2012, 12:49:17 AM »

It's far more intelligent and biting but it's still really not intelligent or biting relative to standards of how satire should be. Neither is South Park but it has its moments whereas Family Guy I really don't think does.

I'm convinced your interest in the Sneakers O'Toole clip in particular is an affectation. Nobody can be that unironically fascinated by something that inane.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2012, 12:53:18 AM »

There's an entire Facebook group dedicated to Sneakers O'Toole, so I'm not the only one. And how pointless it is is EXACTLY the appeal. What does it mean? What's the point of it? The complete absurdity of it is the source of the humor, I think one YouTube comment for once summed it up well by pointing out the joke was that Brian, normally the sane voice of reason is the one to introduce such a ridiculous and out of nowhere character. And in a completely seriously deadpan way too.

And if you want to see just how far people are willing to read into Sneakers O'Toole: http://theconvictor.livejournal.com/76961.html
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2012, 01:04:55 AM »

And really the similarity of that clip to South Park was that South Park does "satire" in the same way, it has no sense of subtlety and is Anvilicious as hell. Everything the creators want to say they beat you over the head with. A trait found in just about all conservative "comedy" I might add.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2012, 01:33:22 AM »

There's an entire Facebook group dedicated to Sneakers O'Toole, so I'm not the only one. And how pointless it is is EXACTLY the appeal. What does it mean? What's the point of it? The complete absurdity of it is the source of the humor, I think one YouTube comment for once summed it up well by pointing out the joke was that Brian, normally the sane voice of reason is the one to introduce such a ridiculous and out of nowhere character. And in a completely seriously deadpan way too.

And if you want to see just how far people are willing to read into Sneakers O'Toole: http://theconvictor.livejournal.com/76961.html

I know it's not just you but again I'm convinced a lot of this is unserious because I refuse to believe that human beings can be so interested in this.

And really the similarity of that clip to South Park was that South Park does "satire" in the same way, it has no sense of subtlety and is Anvilicious as hell. Everything the creators want to say they beat you over the head with. A trait found in just about all conservative "comedy" I might add.

South Park is not 'liberal' but there is next to no conceivable sense in which it is 'conservative'.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2012, 06:15:03 AM »

I assumed it was a satire upon religion, and so attempted an at least tangential basis in some character of religion. Are you suggesting the joke is something else?

It was a shock value/absurdity joke, not proper satire, nor was it intended to be satire. Family Guy has many such joke scenes, and not just on the topic of religion.

BRTD couldn't distinguish satire from a moldy waffle, so you can ignore his opinion on the matter.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »

Here's an example of a brilliant satirical attack on right wingers by Family Guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXDl_Q5xpZU
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »

That's um...better than average for this show, but still not especially brilliant.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2012, 05:14:05 AM »

BRTD - how to apply political hackery to entertainment value choice
But really South Park mostly promotes social liberalism/libertarianism, and it actually makes fun of the tea party in one of the episodes iirc, but it wasn't as caustic as it is towards OWS(which was just pure hackery, but whatever, right-wingers can have their episode, since the show often has episodes that appeal to certain subgroups and later they make an episode that appeals to the "opposite" subgroup).
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2012, 03:36:02 PM »

BRTD should write a book and title it "Defending Everything Everyone Hates Because Someone Has To Do It"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies