Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:36:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes (Religious)

Yes (Non-Religious)

No (Religious)

No (Non-Religious)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Do you agree with Family Guy's characterization of religion (see description)  (Read 5980 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 03, 2012, 12:29:55 AM »

First of all, clearly South Park is better than Family Guy. The old episode of Doctor Who with the giant giant squid that is also an alien locksmith is better than Family Guy.

This characterization is of course absolute rank bull, but that's not surprising.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:16 AM »

Yes, I'd say that's a pretty good description of Family Guy.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:51:25 PM »

It showed Michael Moore as a terrorist supporting suicide bomber and liberal celebrities as terrorist sympathizers. It was like the whole "If you oppose Bush you are an America hater!" garbage so common at the time. Also I thought the pro-Iraq War undertones were fairly obvious.

This post is very revealing about your sense of humor in general, and explains why you're laboring under the misapprehension that Family Guy is good.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »

So by that logic wouldn't it be likely that Seth MacFarlane is actually a conservative and Family Guy is just satirizing liberals and trying to make them look bad?

No, because Family Guy isn't satirical in its comedic sensibilities or methods. You're making false equivalencies.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 12:24:22 AM »

And you are like his underlying, who states 'Family Guy is funny' without giving any reasonable indication as to how or why.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 01:13:14 AM »

I get the impression the video was made simply to mock Family Guy detractors, and that the creator does like Family Guy since Hitler's "arguments" are pretty silly. Then again that might be putting too much thought into a memetic mutation result video.

Eh, probably; but the 'arguments' for Family Guy being good presented are nonexistent.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't enjoy Family Guy; enjoyability obviously is entirely subjective. Quality is also in part subjective, but I think there are basic principles and standards that comic writers, no matter the medium, should try to meet, and I don't think Seth MacFarlane or the other people in charge of the show understand them very well.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »

When was this time when people didn't have religion?   And didn't have any wars?   Sounds like Seth never showed up to his world history class in middle school and so filled in the blanks in his knowledge with a John Lennon song.

You do understand what a joke is, right?

He clearly understands what a bad one is when he sees it.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 12:49:17 AM »

It's far more intelligent and biting but it's still really not intelligent or biting relative to standards of how satire should be. Neither is South Park but it has its moments whereas Family Guy I really don't think does.

I'm convinced your interest in the Sneakers O'Toole clip in particular is an affectation. Nobody can be that unironically fascinated by something that inane.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 01:33:22 AM »

There's an entire Facebook group dedicated to Sneakers O'Toole, so I'm not the only one. And how pointless it is is EXACTLY the appeal. What does it mean? What's the point of it? The complete absurdity of it is the source of the humor, I think one YouTube comment for once summed it up well by pointing out the joke was that Brian, normally the sane voice of reason is the one to introduce such a ridiculous and out of nowhere character. And in a completely seriously deadpan way too.

And if you want to see just how far people are willing to read into Sneakers O'Toole: http://theconvictor.livejournal.com/76961.html

I know it's not just you but again I'm convinced a lot of this is unserious because I refuse to believe that human beings can be so interested in this.

And really the similarity of that clip to South Park was that South Park does "satire" in the same way, it has no sense of subtlety and is Anvilicious as hell. Everything the creators want to say they beat you over the head with. A trait found in just about all conservative "comedy" I might add.

South Park is not 'liberal' but there is next to no conceivable sense in which it is 'conservative'.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »

That's um...better than average for this show, but still not especially brilliant.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies