New England liberals vs Pacific liberals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:01:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New England liberals vs Pacific liberals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New England liberals vs Pacific liberals  (Read 10814 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »

Is it just me, or are liberals in New England sort of conservative compared to liberals on the Pacific coast?

While New England has near-universally legalized same-sex marriage, and has elected people like Barney Frank, I get the impression that despite all this, New England is sort of more traditional and such, leaving the Pacific coast to have a higher concentration of major progressives.

Vermont is the only place that seems similar to the Pacific, in terms of the nature of it's left.

Or am I just rambling insanities?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »

Putting aside political affiliation, I think New Englanders are more traditionalist by a lot of metrics than Pacific Coast people.  I actually have a collection of maps to this effect somewhere...they're pretty legit.
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »

Marijuana will be way slower to be accepted in New England than the left coast.

General hippieness is less appreciated in the East.

Being gay doesn't have to do with being a hippie.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:28 PM »

"New England liberals" are anything but monolithic. New Hampshire liberals are practically soft libertarians (so are the Republicans)--look at their governor (though a few are more populist-leaning). Massachusetts liberals are divided between the Ivy League social liberals and working-class Irish & Italians, which are stronger in Rhode Island. Connecticut liberals are much like Scott and Napoleon--economically centrist and socially liberal. Vermont liberals are either greenies or rural populists, while Maine liberals are a combination of Massachusetts and Vermont liberals depending on what part of Maine you're in.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »

Vermont is very much traditional. And I don't think tradition has as much to do with politics as the Republicans would like us to think. The culture of the Northeast is very much traditional and there are many political philosophies sprouting from that.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:26:01 PM »

Well there's definitely a difference between New England and Pacific Coast rural areas/Republicans.

The righties here are very reactionary
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:33:30 PM »

It depends on the Pacific conservatives. Eastern Oregon was, according to one study, the most conservative area in the country. However, the closer you get to the coast (especially in California), the more Republicans you see who are somewhere between Mitt Romney and Gary Johnson on the issues.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:44:14 PM »

Regarding something like Marijuana legalization, the east coast is definitely not as progressive as the west coast. I wouldn't be surprised if the east is closer in it's views on Marijuana to the Midwest AND the south than it is to the west. They are just more traditional people. Law and order conservatism also seems to flourish in this area. And the trust in authority in general is much higher than it is out west. And I think this transcends partisan lines.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »

Regarding something like Marijuana legalization, the east coast is definitely not as progressive as the west coast. I wouldn't be surprised if the east is closer in it's views on Marijuana to the Midwest AND the south than it is to the west. They are just more traditional people. Law and order conservatism also seems to flourish in this area. And the trust in authority in general is much higher than it is out west. And I think this transcends partisan lines.

On the contrary, I'd say it's almost certain that the first state to legalize marijuana will be in New England.  Of course, it will be subsequently taxed at 900% and its smoking banned in every conceivable public and private location...
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »

There's not as much polarization in New  England and the East Coast along ideological lines as there is on the West Coast. Part of it might have to do with the fact that the West Coast has lots of people who don't have a shared history together living in the same general area, in contrast to the East Coast. Another part of it is that people who were more idealistic (some would say foolish Tongue) than the norm made their way out West, and consequently, created a more dynamic ideological culture out there. Perhaps the fact that the West is much younger as a region of major metropolitan development than the East also has a lot to do with it.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 11:10:12 PM »

On the contrary, I'd say it's almost certain that the first state to legalize marijuana will be in New England.  Of course, it will be subsequently taxed at 900% and its smoking banned in every conceivable public and private location...

Not so sure about that, you would have to beat Washington which is probably at about 50/50 odds for legalizing this year.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »

For reference, states that have decriminalized marijuana:

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 11:16:53 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2012, 11:55:11 PM by Governor Napoleon »

The medical marijuana bill may finally pass here but it is very restrictive...

BTW
You must be logged in to read this quote.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 11:22:07 PM »

Vermont has a much more rural and agrarian and (formerly and in certain quarters even now) traditionalist character to its liberalism than comparable areas on the Pacific coast. There are still some puritanical cultural attributes, which is also the case in much of Massachusetts outside the Boston area. This doesn't necessary have anything to do with positions on 'social issues' but it's clear in the way politics is often done and the kind of rhetoric and priorities that are usually made and employed.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 11:22:07 PM »

Being gay doesn't have to do with being a hippie.

Just like being homosexual doesn't have anything to do with being GAY.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 12:37:34 AM »

Vermont has the most progressive tax structure of any state.
Washington has the least progressive tax structure of any state.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 01:06:08 AM »

Putting aside political affiliation, I think New Englanders are more traditionalist by a lot of metrics than Pacific Coast people.  I actually have a collection of maps to this effect somewhere...they're pretty legit.

I remember those maps! This is what matters and determines how politics is colored in the west. At the local level, it wouldn't be considered controversial for politicians to be known pot smokers in some western cities, atheism is fairly normal (at the local level) and rhetoric is much more "green".
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 01:47:09 AM »

I'd say they're more socially liberal on the West Coast, and maybe more economically leftist in New England. The West Coast also has more of an environmentalist bent.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 02:13:47 AM »

I can't really put my finger on why, but I certainly enjoy left coast liberal (lefty, whatever you people want to be called this week) more than NE liberal.  Part of it is probably the subtle racism I sense from many a NE liberal.  They also seem more apt to accept political hypocrisy and corruption as a necessary evil than left coast liberal.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 07:06:05 AM »

At least the West Coast don't have such ridiculous blue laws.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 02:36:04 PM »

We can still take pride in the fact that we're not the coast that came up with the Californian ideology.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »

I don't know much, but I have the feeling that West Coast lefties, while more socially liberal, are pretty moderate when it comes to economic issues. Or at least, that the consensus there is more favorable to low taxes.

Which is why my preference goes without saying.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 03:33:37 PM »

BTW
Interesting there's so much more support for restrcitions on alchohol sales than you'd find in much of the country - considering CT and RI were the only states not to ratify Prohibition.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »

Why do you think that? I think Vermont may be the only candidate. I certainly don't see Massachusetts or definitely Rhode Island doing it. Not Connecticut either. Too much rich, moderate hero suburbs. Washington I think will be the first state, even before California which is probably second. Washington state doesn't have to do deal with Southern California's bullsh**t.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 05:10:42 PM »

BTW
Interesting there's so much more support for restrcitions on alchohol sales than you'd find in much of the country - considering CT and RI were the only states not to ratify Prohibition.

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if AZ would be more progressive on this issue.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies