Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 04:23:18 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  New England liberals vs Pacific liberals
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: New England liberals vs Pacific liberals  (Read 3382 times)
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 05:21:18 pm »
Ignore

Regarding something like Marijuana legalization, the east coast is definitely not as progressive as the west coast. I wouldn't be surprised if the east is closer in it's views on Marijuana to the Midwest AND the south than it is to the west. They are just more traditional people. Law and order conservatism also seems to flourish in this area. And the trust in authority in general is much higher than it is out west. And I think this transcends partisan lines.

On the contrary, I'd say it's almost certain that the first state to legalize marijuana will be in New England.  Of course, it will be subsequently taxed at 900% and its smoking banned in every conceivable public and private location...

Why do you think that? I think Vermont may be the only candidate. I certainly don't see Massachusetts or definitely Rhode Island doing it. Not Connecticut either. Too much rich, moderate hero suburbs. Washington I think will be the first state, even before California which is probably second. Washington state doesn't have to do deal with Southern California's bullsh**t.

Eastern Washington, though.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 05:26:48 pm »
Ignore

Regarding something like Marijuana legalization, the east coast is definitely not as progressive as the west coast. I wouldn't be surprised if the east is closer in it's views on Marijuana to the Midwest AND the south than it is to the west. They are just more traditional people. Law and order conservatism also seems to flourish in this area. And the trust in authority in general is much higher than it is out west. And I think this transcends partisan lines.

On the contrary, I'd say it's almost certain that the first state to legalize marijuana will be in New England.  Of course, it will be subsequently taxed at 900% and its smoking banned in every conceivable public and private location...

Why do you think that? I think Vermont may be the only candidate. I certainly don't see Massachusetts or definitely Rhode Island doing it. Not Connecticut either. Too much rich, moderate hero suburbs. Washington I think will be the first state, even before California which is probably second. Washington state doesn't have to do deal with Southern California's bullsh**t.

Similar in scale to the Central Valley. I may be underestimating the conservative influence in Western Washington outside the Seattle area though. That might mostly account for the inland areas of Socal. I still have a feeling Washington is more likely to legalize than California.
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 05:33:38 pm »
Ignore

On the contrary, I'd say it's almost certain that the first state to legalize marijuana will be in New England.  Of course, it will be subsequently taxed at 900% and its smoking banned in every conceivable public and private location...

Medical marijuana initiative, 1998

Eastern Washington is pretty libertarian on drug issues and "nanny state" issues: there's a reason why Ron Paul did so well there. Medical marijuana dispensaries are all over Spokane and the white working class in northern Spokane neighborhoods that certainly aren't bastions of liberalism (although they did vote for Obama) couldn't care less about marijuana laws.

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 08:10:41 pm »
Ignore

I don't know much, but I have the feeling that West Coast lefties, while more socially liberal, are pretty moderate when it comes to economic issues. Or at least, that the consensus there is more favorable to low taxes.

Which is why my preference goes without saying.

Well, at least you got your priorities straight.

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:43 pm »
Ignore

Though, consideration must be given to:

1. CA being the first state to legalize medical marijuana
2. Having a much more liberal law than WA

A presidential year should help. Hopefully WA can start full legalization off. In my state, it will take a while.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:51:30 pm by Governor Napoleon »Logged

bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 12:34:53 am »
Ignore

I think an important point to remember in the WA vs. CA debate is that while the Bay Area may be more left-wing than the Puget Sound, the Puget Sound makes up a much larger portion of WA than the Bay Area does CA.

True, we have Eastern Washington. But King County alone is more populous. We don't really have anything comparable to Orange County, or much of Southern California at all, really.

black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 01:00:27 am »
Ignore

There's a certain type of "liberalism" that I really dislike that isn't so big in New England but rather moreso in places like Maryland and Illinois, that is kind of what like libertarians like to strawman liberalism as and really big nanny-statism. Like those states despite overwhelming Democratic majorities in the legislatures won't liberalize their drug laws, or why it was so difficult to pass medical marijuana laws, and why they have laws on things like making it illegal to film cops, and laws that basically no one favors but get passed anyway (like how Boris said that in Illinois drinking games are illegal and a lot of bars got raided for hosting them. And I've read in some places it's not just that drinking games are illegal in bars but ANYWHERE and private parties have been busted for them.) These are also the type of places that get obsessed over silly gun laws that don't really do anything to reduce gun crime but make people like Carolyn McCarthy feel better about themselves by passing them.

I kind of wonder what type of political culture leads to things like this, since barely anyone in grassroots Democratic activism supports it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:02:03 am by Minute-Hour-Day-Week-Month-Year-(The Faiths In My Chest) »Logged

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 02:29:30 am »
Ignore

I don't know much, but I have the feeling that West Coast lefties, while more socially liberal, are pretty moderate when it comes to economic issues. Or at least, that the consensus there is more favorable to low taxes.

Which is why my preference goes without saying.

Well, at least you got your priorities straight.

I think you misunderstood. Wink

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It really is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 03:08:03 am »
Ignore

There's a certain type of "liberalism" that I really dislike that isn't so big in New England but rather moreso in places like Maryland and Illinois, that is kind of what like libertarians like to strawman liberalism as and really big nanny-statism. Like those states despite overwhelming Democratic majorities in the legislatures won't liberalize their drug laws, or why it was so difficult to pass medical marijuana laws, and why they have laws on things like making it illegal to film cops, and laws that basically no one favors but get passed anyway (like how Boris said that in Illinois drinking games are illegal and a lot of bars got raided for hosting them. And I've read in some places it's not just that drinking games are illegal in bars but ANYWHERE and private parties have been busted for them.) These are also the type of places that get obsessed over silly gun laws that don't really do anything to reduce gun crime but make people like Carolyn McCarthy feel better about themselves by passing them.

I kind of wonder what type of political culture leads to things like this, since barely anyone in grassroots Democratic activism supports it.

Sounds likes lot of "liberals" here.

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 06:48:43 am »
Ignore

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 04:03:37 pm »
Ignore

Substantial Catholic heritage vs. virtually none.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 04:12:35 pm »
Ignore

Substantial CatholicPuritan heritage vs. virtually none.
Fixed. 

You do know why they call it San Francisco, right?

Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 01:48:58 pm »
Ignore

Fixed. 

You're kidding, right? On both counts?
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 02:00:17 pm »
Ignore

Fixed. 

The most socially liberal parts of New England are those with Puritan heritage...

(okay, outside of areas with Jewish heritage/areas with large yuppie or alt populations)

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 02:25:41 pm »
Ignore

Fixed. 

The most socially liberal parts of New England are those with Puritan heritage...

(okay, outside of areas with Jewish heritage/areas with large yuppie or alt populations)

Their "social liberalism" isn't really what it appears on the surface, since it's adopted as a form of passive-aggressive ethnic conflict, and in any case it's more "social liberalism" in the Tipper Gore sense than the Howard Stern sense.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 05:43:39 pm »
Ignore

Fixed. 

Sure. I'm not suggesting they're 17th century Calvinists.  Puritanism has always had a radical character to it. That Puritan heritage involves its post-Enlightenment transformation into movements such as Unitarianism, abolitionism and feminism. Still, many of those who are pro-choice and pro-gay marriage have a fundamentally communitarian approach to civic life. "City on a hill" and all that.

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2012, 11:18:30 pm »
Ignore

Fixed. 

Their "social liberalism" isn't really what it appears on the surface, since it's adopted as a form of passive-aggressive ethnic conflict, and in any case it's more "social liberalism" in the Tipper Gore sense than the Howard Stern sense.

I don't think it's adopted as a form of passive-aggressive ethnic conflict so much as that's just a nice bonus for a lot of people.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Ember
EmberFour
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2012, 01:34:19 am »
Ignore

This is the kind of vibe I've gotten from Massachusetts and Connecticut, with Massachusetts leaning more authoritarian, and Connecticut more hawkish, specifically Boston and the NYC suburbs.

do not give into evil.
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 01:38:47 am »
Ignore

I don't Massachusetts is really a good example, since it decriminalized marijuana by popular referendum, and passed it by an almost 2:1 margin with the whole vote being pretty uncontroversial.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 03:29:49 am »
Ignore

One interesting thing about the west coast is how much being close to coast increases liberalism.  It's particularly true in California. In New England, Obama was strongest in Vermont and western Massachusetts.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout