Rick Santorum attacks Franklin & Marshall pollster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:21:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rick Santorum attacks Franklin & Marshall pollster
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rick Santorum attacks Franklin & Marshall pollster  (Read 757 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2012, 01:44:37 AM »

Rick Santorum: Pennsylvania polls showing close race are work of ‘Democratic hack’
By Felicia Sonmez

Former senator Rick Santorum on Sunday dismissed recent polls showing his support collapsing in his home state of Pennsylvania, taking aim at the nonpartisan pollster behind the surveys as “a Democratic hack.”

In an appearance on “Fox News Sunday,” Santorum was asked about a late-March Franklin & Marshall poll that shows him taking 30 percent to former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney’s 28 percent in the Keystone State’s Republican presidential primary. A mid-February Franklin & Marshall survey showed Santorum at 45 percent and Romney at 16 percent.

The pollster who conducts the Franklin & Marshall survey, G. Terry Madonna, is a respected nonpartisan political science professor who is also the director of the Center for Politics and Public Affairs at Franklin & Marshall College.

“First off, the Democratic hack that does that, Terry Madonna, has probably singularly gotten more polls wrong than any person I know in the history of the state,” Santorum said Sunday. “There are two other polls that are out this week that have us up 20 and I think the other is 17. This is a pollster who just — I think he just draws numbers out of a hat sometimes. We feel very good about Pennsylvania. We’re going to do exceptionally well there.”

In a phone interview Sunday afternoon, Madonna — who also polls for eight Pennsylvania media clients spanning the ideological spectrum — defended his two decades of experience as a nonpartisan pollster, arguing that Santorum is “entitled to his own opinions; he’s not entitled to his own facts.”

“Number one, I’ve never polled for any party or any candidate in the 21 years that I’ve been polling, first at Millersville University and now at Franklin & Marshall College,” Madonna said. “Number two, as I said in a tweet, I had Santorum winning in ’94 and 2000. He won. . . . I had him losing in ’06 to [Sen. Robert P.] Casey, which he did. In 2010, I did a bunch of congressional races in our state; I did now-Senator [Patrick J.] Toomey and Gov. [Tom] Corbett, had Republicans winning in all those races. They won in all of them, in every poll that I did in 2010.”

“So this ‘Democratic hack’ — me — shows all these Republicans winning?” Madonna said. “I don’t understand that.”

He added that by claiming the poll numbers were drawn “out of a hat,” Santorum “insults the professionals who work in the Center for Opinion Research at Franklin & Marshall College, where the poll is done using scientific methods that you would expect to be done by academic pollsters.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/rick-santorum-pennsylvania-polls-showing-close-race-are-work-of-democratic-hack/2012/04/01/gIQA7yE2oS_blog.html?tid=pm_politics_pop
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 01:51:55 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actual result:

52% Santorum
46% Klink

Yeah, Democratic hack ... Roll Eyes
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 02:01:35 AM »

BTW:

Why did Santorum overpoll so heavily ahead of the 2000 Senate election ?

http://www3.nationaljournal.com/scripts/printpage.cgi?/members/polltrack/2000/races/sen/pa/pa_s_gen.htm#MASON-DIXON
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 02:35:35 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actual result:

52% Santorum
46% Klink

Yeah, Democratic hack ... Roll Eyes

LOL, that's even more pro-Santorum then this infamous poll.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=48619.0
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:48:42 AM »

Divided Dem primary left Klink broke. He was never considered a serious challenger and he closed the gap on Gore's coattails. I think Stabenow and Cantwell trailed significantly into fall, too.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 06:16:53 AM »

J. J.'s First Rule of Elections"If a candidate that say something like 'I don't look at the polls,' or 'The only polls that matter are the ones on Election Day,' that candidate will lose."

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:09:45 AM »

Franklin and Marshall had Toomey up 8 and Corbett up 16 in late October; quite a bit of GOP bias there.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »

J. J.'s First Rule of Elections"If a candidate that say something like 'I don't look at the polls,' or 'The only polls that matter are the ones on Election Day,' that candidate will lose."

No where in this story did Santorum say that he isn't looking at polling or that it doesn't matter. In fact, he specifically cited two polls.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »

Good one.  Rick Santorum is in denial.

"I can't be dying; I'm only 52. Sure -- but you are a four-pack-a-day smoker.

"The only poll that counts is the one on Election Day" means that one can't lose an election for all practical purposes long before Election Day.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 03:40:53 PM »

No where in this story did Santorum say that he isn't looking at polling or that it doesn't matter. In fact, he specifically cited two polls.

It falls under the "something like" clause.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 07:48:15 PM »

It falls under the "something like" clause.

No, it absolutely doesn't. At all. Candidates dismiss certain polls all the time. Santorum wasn't dismissing all polling. Again, he cited two polls in his statement.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies