If I had my way, we'd go to war with...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:34:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If I had my way, we'd go to war with...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: If I had my way, we'd go to war with...
Iraq (again)

Iran

Afghanistan (still)

Pakistan

Syria

Palestine

Egypt

Russia

China

North Korea

Venezuela

Cuba

Nobody

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: If I had my way, we'd go to war with...  (Read 4761 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:47:43 PM »
« edited: April 02, 2012, 04:07:16 PM by Jacobtm »

Iraq still has problems, I can't believe we didn't finish the job there

Pakistan is a buncha two-timin, good-fer-nothin...

Afghanistan, we need to stay the course, we can't give up on them now

Syria, well that's just a shame what's going on there, we ought to help

Iran can't be allowed to build nukes

Palestine, why, they shoot rockets at Israel

Egypt is run by the Muslim Brotherhood now

Russia is our biggest geo-political foe

China even more so

North Korea has nukes, that can't be allowed

Venezuela can't be allowed to show that much attitude towards us

Cuba, well, you know
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »

Pakistan is a buncha ..., good-fer-nothin...

China even more so

North Korea!

Cuba, well, you know

Airstrikes in Iran and Syria are the only realistic options of the above. Iran is risky, but so is doing nothing. Syria would just be doing a good deed - and ought to be done by as broad a coalition as possible - but I don't think it will happen.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:17:34 PM »

Leaving was a bad idea, but now that we've left going to Iran and exerting influence via Iran is probably a better idea.

More drone attacks in the north are welcome, but an Iraq/Afghanistan style attack would be very unwise; we're discussing a nuclear-armed country that's already unstable. It would be like handing nukes to terrorists.

Should've been done in the early days of the conflict (instead of the knuckle-headed Libyan intervention), or even after we were done in Libya, but now that Russia has so actively backed Assad it's probably not a good idea; the US and Russia can still MAD each other, people forget sometimes.

Not only that, but we would overthrow a theocratic regime, and exert significant influence over surrounding countries in the region. This, very much so.

They're not our friends, but they're not powerful enough to warrant a war. And, in any case, Israel could handle it.

Egypt does not seem to be going in the right direction, but there's still hope for a secularist victory in the end. Certainly not worth lives.

Most obviously MAD, but I've always thought there's a lot of potential for a geopolitical ally in Russia; we face some similar problems. No.

No. China isn't our friend, but China is not, again, really that bad, and in any case is way too powerful to attack without launching a full-scale WW3, probably including tactical nukes (though I doubt MAD would occur in a war against China).

Unstable, nuclear-armed...but hemmed in. They will certainly have to be dealt with eventually, but we have more pressing concerns at the moment (see: Iran).

You're right, they can't, but Chavez isn't horrible enough to warrant an invasion. Venezuela probably just warrants heavy encouragement of the opposition and maybe a coup of some sort. Personally, I think Correa (in Ecuador) is worse.

Gerontocracy isn't and never has been a very good way to preserve your system of government. I really don't think Cuba is any sort of threat to the United States.

In summary: only Iran.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:19:27 PM »

Fifth Avenue, The Hamptons, Palm Beach, etc.  Oh and mustn't forget Orange County, to mop up Torie and his ilk.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »

Iraq: Should have been split into three states. Let them do that themselves.

Pakistan: Only limited strikes if they are harboring terrorists. This is the closest to a "yes."

Afghanistan: Let's get out of there.

Syria: I supported intervention in Libya, but Syria is a much more disorganized conflict and one which US intervention would just screw up.

Iran: Intervention would cause more problems than it would solve.

Palestine: lolno

Egypt: No.

Russia: Um, no.

China: No, but we do need to lay down the law on their trade policies diplomatically.

North Korea: Only if they attack South Korea.

Venezuela: Nah. Chavez is hot air and nothing more.

Cuba: No. In fact, as a Cuban, it would actually help Cubans while hurting the regime to remove the embargo.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »

Cuba: No. In fact, as a Cuban, it would actually help Cubans while hurting the regime to remove the embargo.

I read about this idea a while ago, but my mind is blanking on the specifics of how this might work -- could you elaborate? Thanks Smiley
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »

Nobody (sane)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »

I wouldn't define Syrian intervention as "going to war" any more than the Libyan intervention was.  That said, Syrian intervention, unlike Libya, would almost certainly do more harm than good due to the massive differences between the two situations.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 05:42:07 PM »

Nobody.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 06:02:37 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2012, 06:09:20 PM by Redalgo »

Iraq - The future of Iraq should remain in Iraqi hands now; we've done quite enough already.

Iran - No, unless if in another wave of mass protests the Iranian people want our assistance.

Afghanistan - I have reasons for saying either yes or no but do not know what Afghans want.

Pakistan - I don't think the U.S. has a strong case to make for waging a war against Pakistan.

Syria - Yes; we should batter the Asad regime into submission and liberate the Syrian people.

Palestine - No; Israel can defend itself quite well and the States is already on the wrong side.

Egypt - It's not any of our business to mold Egyptian politics into alignment with U.S. interests.

Russia - Russians should guide Russia's national development, even if we dislike their choices.

China - No; about 85% of Chinese folk are alright with the direction of the PRC's development.

North Korea - No; ideally we should... but they are too well-poised to inflict casualties in Seoul.

Venezuela - Non-violent options are far from exhausted; let Venezuelans sort their issues out.

Cuba - No; among other stuff, more Cubans seem to be okay with than opposed to the regime.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »

Russia, just cause we've been preparing for it forever.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2012, 06:24:52 PM by Frodo in a Hoodie »

Pakistan is a buncha ..., good-fer-nothin...

China even more so

North Korea!

Cuba, well, you know

Airstrikes in Iran and Syria are the only realistic options of the above. Iran is risky, but so is doing nothing. Syria would just be doing a good deed - and ought to be done by as broad a coalition as possible - but I don't think it will happen.

As to removing the Assad regime in Syria by militarily supporting the Free Syrian Army: It's more than doing a good deed -it would isolate the mullahs in Iran still further by depriving them of a key ally in the region, as well as leaving Hezbollah (now cut off from support) to wither on the vine in southern Lebanon, to the benefit of all our allies in the region.  

Why doesn't Obama see this??? 
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2012, 06:40:37 PM by Redalgo »

I read about this idea a while ago, but my mind is blanking on the specifics of how this might work -- could you elaborate? Thanks Smiley

I could easily be mistaken, but the impression I have is that the embargo hurts the people of Cuba much more than the regime - which can blame economic hardships on the States and encourage national unity to carry them through shortages of important supplies. If we let Americans visit Cuba and do business there the Cuban government will have a much harder time vilifying us and using us as a convenient scapegoat. American tourists, firms, and the like may forge mutually beneficial relationships with the Cuban people. And, through positive interactions with Americans and greater exposure to their customs, Cubans might become more aware of and outspoken about some of the social issues facing their own country. Also, the less isolation there is, the harder it may be for the Castro regime to effectively restrict the flow of information within Cuba's borders.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »

During the Cold War, Cuba spent heavily and did not tax its citizens at all, instead paying for its programs with Soviet cash. When they broke apart, Cuba's economy weakened, which they now blame on the United States embargo. If the embargo is repealed, it will help Cuba to an extent and help forge more positive relations, but it will also show that Cuba's economic system has other problems besides the embargo, and will therefore take an argument away from the Castros.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 08:07:29 PM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 08:08:56 PM »

Nobody. The closest might be Israel, which isn't even listed.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »

Good God, y'all, what is it good for?

Absolutely nothing.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »

Afghanistan, we need to stay the course, we can't give up on them now

China even more so

North Korea has nukes, that can't be allowed

Cuba, well, you know

Chickenhawk.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »

I voted nobody, but Mali, Sudan, Somalia, and Yemen should all have been on that list for me to ignore.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 09:03:20 PM »

We should 'assist' the movement in Syria (given what's going on in Russia and China), but no to everyone else, except if they attack someone else.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »

If I had my druthers, I'd stop the murder in Syria and N.Korea rightnow and would have long talks with the people in charge of a dozen or so other places.  War sucks, but it's better than letting innocents be murdered when we have the ability to stop it.
Jacobtm

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 12:26:05 AM »

If I had my druthers, I'd stop the murder in Syria and N.Korea rightnow and would have long talks with the people in charge of a dozen or so other places.  War sucks, but it's better than letting innocents be murdered when we have the ability to stop it.

So Nuclear War then?

Sounds lovely
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 12:28:02 AM »

We have the power of kicking over those anthills and getting rid of the current rulers.  Far less clear is that doing so would stop the killing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »

We have the power of kicking over those anthills and getting rid of the current rulers.  Far less clear is that doing so would stop the killing.
I'm pretty sure we'd let the people in N.Korea eat after the dust settled.  Yeah, we can't be guaranteed that in 15 years a new jackass wouldn't be in charge again, but the odds would be against it knowing full well that we'd come back if he/she starts murdering their people again.

But like I said in the thread Mecha started a few weeks ago that I apparently killed
You must be logged in to read this quote.
What I'd like to see happen ain't going to happen.  We've blown our goodwill.  We can't get it back until.....ahem....(this isn't going to go down well), someone "important" needs saving again.  Poor brown people starving to death isn't as "important" as Western Europeons killing each other over some stupid reason or another.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 03:28:27 AM »

Nobody(Sane)
Why aren't any left wing options offered though? (Israel, former Confederate States, Orange County, etc).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies