Santorum Cannot Add 1 + 100 Even If You Spot Him The Two 1s
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:48:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum Cannot Add 1 + 100 Even If You Spot Him The Two 1s
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum Cannot Add 1 + 100 Even If You Spot Him The Two 1s  (Read 969 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »
« edited: April 03, 2012, 08:26:57 PM by Politico »

I know Santorum has a beef with science, but math too?

It is mathematically impossible for Santorum to win the nomination unless Romney drops out. Why is he continuing to run and therefore helping Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Co.?

Santorum is toxic to independent female voters, and it's really starting to hurt Romney in general election match-ups with Obama. Apparently Santorum wants 2012 to look a lot like 2006 GOP losses?

Can somebody explain what I am missing?
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »

Guys who needs Democracy when you have Mitt Romney?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:45:46 PM »

Can somebody explain what I am missing?

First, Romney is such a poor candidate that he'll only win in November if any Republican will be able to win.  His only advantage is money and the money that would go to support Romney in a general election campaign would not also go to whoever the nominee is.

Second, Santorum isn't damaging Romney.  Romney is damaging Romney and at most all Santorum is doing is helping to expose the damage now instead of during the general election.  Unfortunately the damage appears not to have been exposed in time for it to matter.

Third, if Gingrich wasn't still in, Santorum night drop out now, but as I've said before, in case something does happen to Romney, Santorum can't afford to let Gingrich soak up the remaining anti-Romney delegates.  So if the Mittbots want to get Santorum to end his campaign, they need to convince Gingrich to end his first.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »

It is mathematically impossible for Santorum to win the nomination unless Romney drops out. Why is he continuing to run and therefore helping Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Co.?

It's not helping Obama, Pelosi and Co, any more than the Obama vs Clinton battle helped McCain last election. Indeed, I'm sure I saw some speculation that rather than hurt Obama's chances in November, the lengthy primary campaign helped him by keeping him in the news for longer.

Santorum is toxic to independent female voters, and it's really starting to hurt Romney in general election match-ups with Obama. Apparently Santorum wants 2012 to look a lot like 2006 GOP losses?

It's not Santorum who is dragging down Romney. Voters are starting to see a Romney nomination as a foregone conclusion and are starting to take a closer look at him.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »

I don't know, maybe he wants to be VP? He has revealed himself to be a complete fraud, from gushing over Romney to suddenly comparing Romney to Obama when Romney happens to be his competition. Romney donating money to Santorum vs a dem challenger is not the same thing as Santorum endorsing Mitt in a GOP primary.

If he truly wants a contested convention, he is a traitor to his party, and his country because he is undermining his own principles and causes.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »

Mittens won't be spending much time or money on Rick now I suspect. He has his base, and Mittens has his, and very few voters will be changing their minds at this point. And since Mitt's base is adequate to get a majority of the delegates, why should he?  If I were Mittens I would put Rick in general on "ignore," unless he throws a punch that demands a response.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 09:36:37 PM »

I don't know, maybe he wants to be VP? He has revealed himself to be a complete fraud, from gushing over Romney to suddenly comparing Romney to Obama when Romney happens to be his competition. Romney donating money to Santorum vs a dem challenger is not the same thing as Santorum endorsing Mitt in a GOP primary.

If he truly wants a contested convention, he is a traitor to his party, and his country because he is undermining his own principles and causes.
No, he is a believer in democracy.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »

Mittens won't be spending much time or money on Rick now I suspect. He has his base, and Mittens has his, and very few voters will be changing their minds at this point. And since Mitt's base is adequate to get a majority of the delegates, why should he?  If I were Mittens I would put Rick in general on "ignore," unless he throws a punch that demands a response.

I think Mittens will attempt to win PA.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 10:10:59 PM »

I don't know, maybe he wants to be VP?

This will happen when Newt lands on the moon.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »

FYI, Santorum is outpolling Romney among women.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:34:47 PM »

I think Mittens will attempt to win PA.

If Mittens goes for a knockout and fails, it hurts him badly.  Whereas, allowing Rick either to lose to the inevitability mantra or to get one last hurrah in his home state before he bows out helps Mittens.

What Mittens really needs to do is lay down some ground work for the fall in Pennsylvania. He's abandoned most of the campaign infrastructure he had built up in Iowa and other swing states that have already had their primaries. and will have to rebuild practically from scratch there.  I can understand why he abandoned his infrastructure in South Carolina.  All we'll be good for in the general election is cash and College Republicans to work for him next door in North Carolina.  Unlike his primary opponents, he had the cash on hand to maintain his campaign infrastructure in the swing states after the primaries there, yet he failed to do so. Either he wasn't convinced f his own inevitability or he is a poor planner.  Judging by how his campaign acted during the primaries, he does not relish a manpower intensive ground game, but he'll likely need one if he is to win in November.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »

1. It's improbable for him to win, but not impossible.  (I'm really not sure how your saying it's mathematically impossible.  It's certainly not mathematically impossible, although one could argue that it's statistically impossible.)
2. I don't think his strategy is to get a majority of delegates pre-convention, but to keep Romney from getting a majority and hope he can win on the convention floor.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2012, 04:01:33 PM by Politico »

1. It's improbable for him to win, but not impossible.  (I'm really not sure how your saying it's mathematically impossible.  It's certainly not mathematically impossible, although one could argue that it's statistically impossible.)

Statistics is a branch of mathematics (if you don't believe me, look up the proof for the Central Limit Theorem). There is no way for Santorum to reach a majority of delegates unless Romney leaves the race one way or another hence it is mathematically impossible for Santorum to win the race for delegates. Statistically impossible sounds silly.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The probability of Santorum winning a fight on the convention floor is lower than the probability of Romney exiting the race whether due to illness or scandal (i.e., virtually zero).

I am surprised you are coming to the defense of Santorum here. I am disappointed, my man.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »

Politico, please just stop with this hackfest.

Any day, moment and/or word could change the race. One scandal or gaffe could change things...

But I agree it's extremely unlikely.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2012, 04:07:06 PM by Politico »

Politico, please just stop with this hackfest.

Any day, moment and/or word could change the race. One scandal or gaffe could change things...

But I agree it's extremely unlikely.

It's no longer January or February. It's almost mid-April. This thing is over and anybody who thinks otherwise is in denial or has been duped. Romney, unlike his opponents, is financially healthy and on cruise control to well over 40% of the remaining delegates, which is all he needs to secure a majority. There will be no repeat of earlier gaffes, let alone something worse. Unlike most politicians, The Governor learns from mistakes. Mitt lives a Christian life free of scandal. At this point, only a national or family tragedy could prevent Mitt Romney from becoming the nominee.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 05:57:39 PM »

If Santorum can't add 1 + 100 and figure out the math is against his odds of being nominated, he should drop out and save his money before he becomes Gingrich 2.0 and file for bankruptcy. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 06:35:18 PM »

1. It's improbable for him to win, but not impossible.  (I'm really not sure how your saying it's mathematically impossible.  It's certainly not mathematically impossible, although one could argue that it's statistically impossible.)

Statistics is a branch of mathematics (if you don't believe me, look up the proof for the Central Limit Theorem). There is no way for Santorum to reach a majority of delegates unless Romney leaves the race one way or another hence it is mathematically impossible for Santorum to win the race for delegates. Statistically impossible sounds silly.

The probability of Santorum winning a fight on the convention floor is lower than the probability of Romney exiting the race whether due to illness or scandal (i.e., virtually zero).

I am surprised you are coming to the defense of Santorum here. I am disappointed, my man.

I'd argue it's probably not even statistically impossible.  It's improbable, but Romney could die tomorrow.  The chances of that happening certainly aren't statistically zero.  And mathematically impossible is much of a more restrictive phrase than "statistically impossible."  As someone who's taken a lot of math and a lost of statistics, I can assure you that you're wrong.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 07:28:12 PM »

I'd argue it's probably not even statistically impossible.  It's improbable, but Romney could die tomorrow.  The chances of that happening certainly aren't statistically zero.  And mathematically impossible is much of a more restrictive phrase than "statistically impossible."  As someone who's taken a lot of math and a lost of statistics, I can assure you that you're wrong.

I hope you were laughing hysterically as you typed this. I suppose I'm getting a taste of my own medicine, so to speak.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies