What should clergy wear?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:30:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What should clergy wear?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What should clergy wear?
Ceremonial vestments

Formal dresses/suits and ties

Jeans and normal shirts

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: What should clergy wear?  (Read 7279 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:40:36 PM »

I vote for option 3 of course.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:58:17 PM »

Where is the "whatever the hell they want to wear" option?  Or I guess that should be the "whatever their congregation expects them to wear since they are paying his/her mortgage" option.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:09:02 AM »

I accidentally voted for option 3 but option 1 is obviously my actual answer.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »

Any of the above, depending on denomination/context/their congregation/their preference
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:12:17 AM »

Any of the above, depending on denomination/context/their congregation/their preference
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »

Where is the "whatever the hell they want to wear" option?  Or I guess that should be the "whatever their congregation expects them to wear since they are paying his/her mortgage" option.

This. However, I voted for ceremonial vestments out of the options provided simply because I find it more culturally expressive and interesting than dressing like a businessperson or conforming to the unspoken public dress code of mainstream society.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:45:15 PM »

I have gone to churches where the priests have dressed in all these ways. Traditional clerical dress is my preference.

The priest who wore genes and a Jefferson Starship Church was cool and had a great singing voice, but I just could not take him seriously. I also do not know if he became a priest to spread the word of Christ or advertise for his Creed cover band.

When I went to a Reformed Baptist Church the priest wore a brown suit and was a former dentist. He was smart, but boring. I never thought I would be bored at a Baptist Church but it happened. Thus, that look does not really work.

As an undergraduate I went to a Catholic university and I found that the Black Shirt, suit and white collar was a bad ass look. I also found Catholic priests to have the best sense of humor, the most interesting stories to tell and the best education. Thus, I deem traditional clerical dress as the best for priests.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »

A lady's frock and an enormous cod-piece.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 09:52:07 PM »

I've always said I'll never go to a church where the pastor is wearing a tie unless they are obviously doing it "ironically". If I see that I'm out the door.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »

I've always said I'll never go to a church where the pastor is wearing a tie unless they are obviously doing it "ironically". If I see that I'm out the door.

Yeah. Priests dressing like businessmen is the worst. If I can't have my late-Roman secular formal wear repurposed as vestments, I'd rather go to a hipster church than a church that fancied itself a Rotarians meeting.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 10:05:50 PM »

LOL, but yeah. One of the pastors who baptized me looked like this, just minus the cap and PBR. The other basically looked like a stereotypical Asian female hipster.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »

I don't know what Asian female hipsters stereotypically look like.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 10:11:35 PM »

Socks.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:12 AM »

Ceremonial vestments, etc. And I have to agree with Rooney on the "backwards collar".
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »

Because Jesus wants you to judge people by how they dress and not by their words and actions, right?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »

Hey you were the one earlier arguing that God would care about what people wear to church and not approve of hoodies, band shirts and torn jeans.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »

Hey you were the one earlier arguing that God would care about what people wear to church and not approve of hoodies, band shirts and torn jeans.

That was about respect for your deity - my primary point was that I don't think you have it, that for you going to church is supposed to be about you having fun rather than being about worshiping and glorifying your god. The fact that you would refuse to enter a church to worship and glorify your god based solely on the preacher's clothing only bolsters this argument.
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »

Whatever they want.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 11:04:32 AM »

That was about respect for your deity - my primary point was that I don't think you have it, that for you going to church is supposed to be about you having fun rather than being about worshiping and glorifying your god. The fact that you would refuse to enter a church to worship and glorify your god based solely on the preacher's clothing only bolsters this argument.

The thing is, actually dressing up gives me anxiety.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 11:23:22 AM »

Which are all good and hopeful indications that perhaps one day he will put this horrible flirtation with brute religion aside and turn to the light of reason and simple humanity.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »

The main thing though is that any church where the pastor is wearing a suit and tie is almost certainly a fundie one.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »

Even if I accept that it isn't justification for judging someone else on what they are wearing.

The main thing though is that any church where the pastor is wearing a suit and tie is almost certainly a fundie one.

Possibly, but should you really prejudge them based solely on that? Shouldn't you actually find out first?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 11:49:23 AM »

Back in the 1992-2001 era I used to wear polyester suits from the thrift store sometimes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 02:12:25 PM »

Where is that British guy (maybe guys) that always busts into threads just to threadsh**t that this is a horrible (stupid, pointless, whatever) thread?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 03:24:12 PM »

Nothing.  Clergy should be nude.  Obviously.  You know you want to see Ayatollah Khamenei showing off the hot bod Allah made him.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies