What should clergy wear?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:17:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What should clergy wear?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What should clergy wear?
Ceremonial vestments

Formal dresses/suits and ties

Jeans and normal shirts

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: What should clergy wear?  (Read 7268 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 03:35:45 PM »

Combat dress and boots - warriors of Christ-style
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »

Where is that British guy (maybe guys) that always busts into threads just to threadsh**t that this is a horrible (stupid, pointless, whatever) thread?
Comrade Sibboleth - maybe he is busy elsewhere. I will do it for you.

"This thread is so stupid it makes my head hurt."
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »

Hey you were the one earlier arguing that God would care about what people wear to church and not approve of hoodies, band shirts and torn jeans.

That was about respect for your deity - my primary point was that I don't think you have it, that for you going to church is supposed to be about you having fun rather than being about worshiping and glorifying your god. The fact that you would refuse to enter a church to worship and glorify your god based solely on the preacher's clothing only bolsters this argument.

To be fair to BRTD, I don't think his point of view is logically inconsistent. If one disagrees with the notion that God requires formal attire during worship service to show Him respect, it follows that one would also choose not to associate himself with a church where the pastor emphasizes this practice by wearing formal business attire. 
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »

Hey you were the one earlier arguing that God would care about what people wear to church and not approve of hoodies, band shirts and torn jeans.

That was about respect for your deity - my primary point was that I don't think you have it, that for you going to church is supposed to be about you having fun rather than being about worshiping and glorifying your god. The fact that you would refuse to enter a church to worship and glorify your god based solely on the preacher's clothing only bolsters this argument.

To be fair to BRTD, I don't think his point of view is logically inconsistent. If one disagrees with the notion that God requires formal attire during worship service to show Him respect, it follows that one would also choose not to associate himself with a church where the pastor emphasizes this practice by wearing formal business attire. 

The clothing thing is just one aspect though - it's really not even the most important thing. It's how he treats the whole package. He treats worship service as if it were a concert and he can't be bothered to take the time to read the whole Bible. If he were to just shut up about it like most of the fair weather followers do I wouldn't ride him about it so much, but he insists on continuing to insert it into conversation and as such it's open to criticism.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »

You know I was kind of being tongue-in-cheek right? It's like me saying I'd ever leave a show if I saw a band member wearing his own band's shirt. The point though is such a church is not the type of place I'd like anyway.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 11:01:49 PM »

BRTD gives me an urge to wear suits & ceremonial vestments.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2012, 11:48:07 PM by Minute-Hour-Day-Week-Month-Year-(The Faiths In My Chest) »

So Cathcon which people would you rather hang out with?

And no, I don't know who the guy in the bleached hair standing behind the baptized girl and the pastors is, but let's pretend he's not there.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »

That reminds me of when my mom forced me to take swimming lessons as a kid and I was scared to put my face in the water.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 11:50:08 PM »

The first group. At worst they'd be somewhat conservative and dull for my tastes, but I can deal with that easily.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:16 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2012, 12:05:01 AM by Minute-Hour-Day-Week-Month-Year-(The Faiths In My Chest) »

Well this is what the guy in the second pic is like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YNtIKvt3Lo

I'm sure after watching that Nathan would still prefer hanging out with Catholic priests but he might be in a minority amongst his age group. You know Nathan, I do wonder now how well you'd fit in though with my College Democrats group in 2006 though, lol.

BTW I don't think his band is that good, it's mostly just "chugga chugga MOSH PART chugga chugga MOSH PART" over and over and over, but he still seems like a really cool guy (even if he is straightedge).
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 12:11:34 AM »

Well, I mean, obviously it depends on the Catholic priest in question, but there are plenty of Catholic priests who I would like and do like to hang out with, whereas there aren't terribly many hipster/hardcore types with whom I get along in my experience.

What were your College Democrats in 2006 like?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2012, 12:26:32 AM by Minute-Hour-Day-Week-Month-Year-(The Faiths In My Chest) »

We were basically just a bunch of people who'd go around lit dropping and then to a party where we'd get drunk and/or high while screaming "F**K BUSH" and "END THE WAR" a lot while making sure to recycle the plastic cups we were using at the keg parties. Actually you can often reverse the order of those things, I went on drunken or at least buzzed lit drops more than a few times. And of course there was the girl who talked about how she always provided weed to anyone seeking it at the parties she was at as long as they took voter registration materials too. Good times. Life was so simple back then.

FWIW I don't think the College Republicans were much different, they just went to different parties, drunkenly screamed different slogans and weren't so big on making sure they recycled. And with that I think I have an accurate image of Cathcon in 6 years.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »

Cathcon definitely strikes me as a more libertarian-leaning College Republican type down the line, yeah.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 05:47:09 AM »

Cathcon definitely strikes me as a more libertarian-leaning College Republican type down the line, yeah.

How did I come into this? But yeah, I'm getting more libertarian, though I still maintain a good amount of social conservatism & reverence for tradition (as you can probably see)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »

Well you spawned the debate. But anyway the point remains in which pic do the people look better to hang out with? Also for obvious reasons you never have hot Zooey Deschanel lookalikes as Catholic priests, like the female pastor in the second pic.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »

How did I come into this? But yeah, I'm getting more libertarian, though I still maintain a good amount of social conservatism & reverence for tradition (as you can probably see)

Eh, it's just you seem to have that sort of personality. I can't really put my finger on it. Certainly not as libertarian as a lot of the yellow avatars here, but still more than you are now.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »

Whatever they see fit, although I, of course, much prefer option 1.

Also, what Cathcon said.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »

Actually, the more I think about it, the more my nude proposal makes sense.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »

All 3 options are fine to me if I can agree with the pastor's words. But if pressed, I'd vote option 2 since that's what I'm used to.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »

Wait- is that a swimming pool in the 2nd pic? Man, that is ratty. As for the first pic, not impressive enough. Baptisms (& preferably all religious services) should take place in huge cathedrals shaped like crosses & full of ornate art, soaring ceilings, & huge pipe organs with 3 or 4 keyboards + pedals.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »

The main thing though is that any church where the pastor is wearing a suit and tie is almost certainly a fundie one.

Not really. It largely depends on what part of the country you're in and the denominational tradition. Leaving aside the fact that you mean "conservative" when you say "fundie," rather than fundamentalist, it's not uncommon at all around here for a mainline minister to wear a suit and tie (or some kind of blazer with a tie). I have yet to walk into a Methodist service and see the pastor not wearing a suit or khaki's and a blazer (unless they're in a robe). Ditto for PCUSA (although I have less experience with them). Also I've been to one UCC service in my life and the pastor was wearing a dark suit, white shirt, and a red tie. Cooperative Baptist Fellowship pastors almost always dress up.

Actually in my experience pastors on the moderate end of the evangelical spectrum are far more likely to dress down than those in liberal churches.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »

Wait- is that a swimming pool in the 2nd pic? Man, that is ratty. As for the first pic, not impressive enough. Baptisms (& preferably all religious services) should take place in huge cathedrals shaped like crosses & full of ornate art, soaring ceilings, & huge pipe organs with 3 or 4 keyboards + pedals.

Personally I think a river or a lake would be nicer for a baptism if you're going to have one. But either way would be a step up from a swimming pool.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2012, 09:15:23 PM »

I just used Wikipedia's first pic for infant baptism and yeah it being a swimming pool is kind of weird. But anyway the point is some cool dude with tattoos and what looks like a comic book shirt or something and a hot Zooey Deschanel lookalike are a lot cooler than some old dude in white robes.

Personally I think a river or a lake would be nicer for a baptism if you're going to have one. But either way would be a step up from a swimming pool.

Hey I got baptized in one of those miniature inflatable pools that kids play in in backyards! But of course a river or lake isn't exactly a good option for baptism in Minnesota in February. I know during the summer some churches here do baptisms in Lake Harriett.

The main thing though is that any church where the pastor is wearing a suit and tie is almost certainly a fundie one.

Not really. It largely depends on what part of the country you're in and the denominational tradition. Leaving aside the fact that you mean "conservative" when you say "fundie," rather than fundamentalist, it's not uncommon at all around here for a mainline minister to wear a suit and tie (or some kind of blazer with a tie). I have yet to walk into a Methodist service and see the pastor not wearing a suit or khaki's and a blazer (unless they're in a robe). Ditto for PCUSA (although I have less experience with them). Also I've been to one UCC service in my life and the pastor was wearing a dark suit, white shirt, and a red tie. Cooperative Baptist Fellowship pastors almost always dress up.

Actually in my experience pastors on the moderate end of the evangelical spectrum are far more likely to dress down than those in liberal churches.

Maybe that's a Deep South thing, wouldn't surprise me. I've actually never seen a pastor wearing a suit in real life, period. At my parents' church (ELCA) the pastors aren't as dressed down as the type of church I'd go to but they wear basically khakis and a dress shirt, sort of business casual.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's "Zoey" Deschanel, though I could easily be wrong...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2012, 09:26:01 PM »

No, her parents were just unique in spelling her name.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies