Minnesota GOP = Epic Fail
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:11:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minnesota GOP = Epic Fail
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minnesota GOP = Epic Fail  (Read 408 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »

Baird Helgeson and Rachel E. Stassen-Berger

The cash-strapped Republican Party of Minnesota has been served eviction papers at its St. Paul headquarters.

State Republican Party Chairman Pat Shortridge notified GOP activists late last week that the party had not paid rent since last August. He said negotiations with the building owner did not prevent the landlord from taking the matter to court.

“We’re not going to be evicted,” Shortridge said in an email. He added that they are “continuing to negotiate on the back payments as well as on a lease that better fits both our space needs and our budget.”

The possible eviction is the latest blow for a state Republican Party that has been swamped with debt and financial problems for more than a year. Along with being more than $1 million in debt, state Republicans are being investigated by the Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board for inaccurate campaign reporting and have amended two years of filings to both the state campaign finance agency and the Federal Election Commission.

The problems, along with revelations about sloppy bookkeeping, prompted former GOP Chairman Tony Sutton to step down from his $100,000-a-year post.

Since Shortridge took over more than four months ago, the party has shed staff and began working to renegotiate with creditors.

“While this is a situation none of us wants, it's part of the rebuilding process,” Shortridge said last week. “No one ever said it would be simple or easy or without bumps along the way.”

The story was first reported by Politics in Minnesota.

Shortridge was not immediately available for an interview.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/148535875.html
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:05:37 PM »

Me and Snowguy have been posting on this over time. Yeah the state GOP is an utter trainwreck now.

Reminds me I should get back to work on my state legislature projections.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:52:50 PM »

I did read this story earlier this morning and immediately think of the poster above me.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »

The most epic fail thing about this is the state allows you to earmark $5 on your tax form to one of the parties without increasing your total bill (similar to the Presidential Election Fund on the federal one), so to cover the $1 million debt they only needed 200k Republicans (barely over 1/5 of the number who voted for Emmer) to check that this year. Hell even if they didn't get that they should get enough to cover the rent...

Where is Snowguy anyway? Since verin isn't a Minnesotan anymore that kind of leaves just me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies