Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 06:55:03 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Who is the most underrated president ever?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: ^
John Quincy Adams   -10 (18.5%)
Ulysses S. Grant   -4 (7.4%)
Rutherford Hayes   -0 (0%)
Chester A. Arthur   -5 (9.3%)
William Howard Taft   -4 (7.4%)
Richard Nixon   -11 (20.4%)
Other (state)   -20 (37%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Who is the most underrated president ever?  (Read 2141 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 05:18:50 pm »
Ignore

Polk.

But on that list?  Nixon.

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 07:31:21 pm »
Ignore

James K Polk. I mean, his presidency literally shaped modern America, AND shaped its culture. And he did it all in 4 years. Not bad for Young Hickory.
I agree fully-

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 08:13:14 pm »
Ignore

Polk was, of course, a loathsome imperialist, but I suppose he did do a good job of expanding the institution of slavery into new lands long after civilized nations had abolished it.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 08:26:12 pm »
Ignore

Isn't the idea of rating politicians the strangest ever? Perhaps it can apply to Republican presidential nominees of this world but to actual US presidents, bizarre...

Anyway, if you mean "impact-to-whatpeopleknowabouthimneverher" then Polk is certainly a major contender. Basically for what Xahar said (perhaps we should go to www.elatlasdelaseleccionesmexicanas.com and ask them). As for Nixon, are you people serious? Do you want me to invoke that thread again?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:01:13 am by Mist »Logged

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'

Rooney
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 08:35:46 pm »
Ignore

Polk was, of course, a loathsome imperialist
One can also argue that Polk was simply responding to the fact that Mexico owed a great deal of money to the United States and even though the lands of the west could easily have been used as payment for Mexican debts to the United States the Americans were willing to pay for the lands. The Mexican government of Herrera actually wanted to speak with John Slidell about peaceful land grants, but the anti-American Mexican military refused to follow through with these peaceful notions and placed Gabriel Valencia in power. During his trip across Mexico in 1846, Marine officer Archibald Gillespie reported back to Polk that anti-Americanism was rampant across Mexico and that war was imminent. Thus, while Polk did fight a war that some consider immoral, the Mexicans had many chances to avoid the war and chose otherwise. I surmise that you are a fan of the Whig Party, though.

Polk also did some great things in terms of upholding gold based currency, reestablishing the Independent Treasury System and repealing the Tariff of 1843, replacing it with the Walker Tariff which helped ease tensions with Great Britain and led to the uneasy treaty which awarded a parcel of disputed territory in Oregon to the United States. Polk is not one of my favorite presidents but he was effective and helped the economy in many ways. 

Political Matrix:
Economic score: +8.65
Social score: -8.00
traininthedistance
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 05:31:44 pm »
Ignore

Polk was, of course, a loathsome imperialist, but I suppose he did do a good job of expanding the institution of slavery into new lands long after civilized nations had abolished it.

Absolute truth.  The independent treasury was a marked improvement over previous systems, though.

Economic: -4.45
Social: -6.52
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
YaBB God
Spain

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 05:47:53 pm »
Ignore

Other: Jimmy Carter

My evolution (by The Political Matrix):
E: -6.06 -> -6.97 -> -6.97 -> -8.13 -> -7.29 -> -8.26 -> -8.65 -> -7.03
S: -6.78 -> -6.09 -> -7.30 -> -7.13 -> -8.09 -> -8.35 -> -9.04 -> -8.61
perdedor
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2012, 08:41:00 pm »
Ignore

Carter, without question. Authorized SALT II, ended "containment" policies that propped up murderous far-right dictators, created the Department of Energy, and had the balls to go on television and tell the American populace that they were becoming spoiled consumption machines. The lesser man won in 1980, unquestionably.

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 06:41:44 pm »
Ignore

Jimmy Carter
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 06:55:25 am »
Ignore

Chester A. Arthur. He actually ended cronyism (Pendleton Act) by making people have to have some level of competency. A great corruption cleaner-upper, and he was the first to ban immigration by criminals and the insane. He also got time zones established, so there's that.
"No man ever entered the Presidency so profoundly and widely distrusted, and no one ever retired ... more generally respected"--Alexander K. McClure.
"I am but one in 55 million, still, in the opinion of this one-fifty-five-millionth of the country's population, it would be hard to better President Arthur's administration."--Mark Twain.

Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 11:36:55 am »
Ignore

I want to vomit, but... George W Bush.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.09

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 11:48:43 am »
Ignore

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?HuhHuh??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 04:37:16 pm »
Ignore

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?HuhHuh??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes a tiny bit of sense. People don't give him credit for his efforts to rally the country right after 9/11, when he made it clear that Islam was not the enemy, went to Ground Zero, and got the world to really stand with the US. Then, of course, he used that goodwill to invade Iraq, tear up the Constitution, run up the debt, and basically upset every single other nation and destroy the achievements of Bush41 and Clinton. But that one week was good, and the part where he actually committed to fighting AIDS in Africa (a fluke compared to the rest of his foreign policy). So there were a few good bits, but we don't commemorate them because the rest was so, so terrible.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 05:47:41 pm »
Ignore

Well of course there were good bits, but the most underrated President ever?!

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 03:49:39 am »
Ignore

With regard to Africa, it should be noted that the actions of the Bush administration in dealing with the crisis in the Congo were far superior to those taken by Clinton's people.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 03:58:38 am »
Ignore

Post-1900: Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.
He is way overrated.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 04:04:29 am »
Ignore

James A. Garfield. I mean, c'mon the guy could write in Latin and Greek at the same time!

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 05:15:19 am »
Ignore

Carter was hardly a good President, but considering that he's frequently cited as an example of one of the worst in history of whatever I think he's a good contender for this title.

Bonus: Most overrated President - Clinton, Clinton, Clinton. It never fails to amaze me how the Clinton administration seems to exist in the popular imagination as a collection of savvy, pragmatic pros with unmatched political skills instead of the scandal-plagued, half-competent near disaster that it really was.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 05:24:02 am »
Ignore

I had a teacher about 2 years ago who thought Bill Clinton was the best thing since sliced bread. She loved him. It was creepy.

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 06:49:20 am »
Ignore

Most overrated would have to be Lincoln, as it sucked to be a protestor or someone who supported peace during his presidency; he suspended habeas corpus, shut down newspapers, tried to limit speech, introduced the income tax and fiat money, and generally presided over a fundamental change in the size of government.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 08:12:36 am »
Ignore

Most overrated would have to be Lincoln, as it sucked to be a protestor or someone who supported peace during his presidency; he suspended habeas corpus, shut down newspapers, tried to limit speech, introduced the income tax and fiat money, and generally presided over a fundamental change in the size of government.

No way. He was extremely authoritarian.

Scroll down to him (#42) on this list:

http://www.xaviercromartie.com/2009/12/libertarian-ranking-of-united-states.html

Adam Mendez-Flynn-Glazowski-Chanut-Harper-Zhang-Rothman-Wald
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 10:13:01 am »
Ignore

So Underrated = Libertarian and Overrated = Authoritarian?

I imagine hyphenation, for both spouses, as a sort of custom would very quickly make us all sound like a bunch of bizarrely named English aristocrats. If Peter Flynn marries Beatrice Mendez and has a kid named Anthony, who in turn marries Alice Glazowski-Chanut, their kid would be named Colin Mendez-Flynn-Glazowski-Chanut, who would then marry Beth Harper-Zhang-Rothman-Wald, and their kid would be named...
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 03:18:21 pm »
Ignore

So Underrated = Libertarian and Overrated = Authoritarian?

No, not at all. Lincoln's individual authoritarianism leads me to believe he is not underrated. This of course is just my opinion.

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 10:00:40 pm »
Ignore

No way. He was extremely authoritarian.

Scroll down to him (#42) on this list:

http://www.xaviercromartie.com/2009/12/libertarian-ranking-of-united-states.html

Uh, I was saying he was the most OVERrated (and that Arthur was most underrated). I was pointing out how people think Lincoln should be (well, is) on Mt. Rushmore, but that he did all that bad, authoritarian stuff, making him very, very overrated (he's certainly the highest-rated president at that end of the list).

Jackson
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 11:14:41 pm »
Ignore

The most underrated president ever was William Henry Harrison. No other president comes close to matching his achievements.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout