Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 01:30:10 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Veepstakes: Who You Think Are the Two Most Likely Running Mates...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Veepstakes: Who You Think Are the Two Most Likely Running Mates...  (Read 1440 times)
Politico
YaBB God
View Profile
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:25:08 pm »
Ignore

Who do you think are the two most likely choices for VP by Gov. Romney, and why?

I now think it's down to Sen. Portman of Ohio and Gov. McDonnell of Virginia. Why? Because they will not overshadow Romney in the charisma department, will likely get along with The Governor, and provide some political help with regards to Ohio and Virginia respectively (and, to a lesser extent, Pennsylvania and North Carolina respectively).

Sen. Rubio of Florida and Rep. Ryan of Wisconsin are my dark horses. However, they are more likely to overshadow Romney, and obviously there is a strong possibility of both of them running for president down the road, so they potentially have their own agenda. With that said, Rep. Ryan has the looks to woo the women. And we all know this election is going to be decided by women who are independents. Plus, Joe Biden would look so old and washed up on a debate stage with Paul Ryan. Finally, he impressed the hell out of me last week. I feel like there's a real chemistry there with The Governor that no other potential veep, especially a conservative darling, possesses.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:31:07 pm by Politico »Logged

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."

- Bastiat
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 04:27:35 pm »
Ignore

If he's picking a governor, then Jindal or McDonnell. If someone else, then Ryan.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  »

- Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: -4.96

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:32:45 pm »
Ignore

So women will vote for a ticket with Paul Ryan because he's hot? Ryan would result in Obama getting 70% of the senior vote.

Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:27 pm »

I think a good dark horse would be Sonny Perdue.

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:35:25 pm »
Ignore

So women will vote for a ticket with Paul Ryan because he's hot? Ryan would result in Obama getting 70% of the senior vote.

The other 30% of the senior vote being seniors who use 'Just For Men'.

Cobbler
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 06:38:39 pm »
Ignore

Christie or Rubio.

If he's going to go with someone that is not charismatic, I think he'll choose Mitch Daniels still. He has higher name recognition, and he has conservative credentials and is from the Midwest without being nearly as polarizing as Paul Ryan would be.

Economic score: +2.19
Social score: -5.74
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:09:41 pm »
Ignore

Either McDonnell or an elder-statesman type.  Who, I'm not sure.

Goodbye
Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:10:39 pm »
Ignore

Duke Cunningham
Trent Lott
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 08:44:34 pm »
Ignore

Jeb Bush has the respect of the party base, is attractive to independents and moderates, would be seen by the electorate as someone who could assume the Presidency if necessary, and speaks spanish.

Look past the fact his name is Bush and you have a great VP pick.

WORST PRESIDENT
SINCE WORLD WAR II
MagneticFree
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 09:27:18 pm »
Ignore

Rubio and Ryan.  Rubio can solidify the Conservative base, but Ryan has the financial business background to get us out of debt surely.

Paul/Cruz 2016!
memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 09:36:33 pm »
Ignore

Can't imagine who would want to follow in the footsteps of Sarah Palin, John Edwards, and Joe Lieberman.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: -4.96

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:52:19 pm »
Ignore

Thune is his safe choice--liked by the Religious Right but boring enough that he won't seem crazy to independents. Jindal, as RB has said several times, could bring some life into the ticket, but after the BP thing I see him as a potential wild card if he turns off independents too much. The 2010 governors have potential as well, but could be Palin repeats. Bob McDonnell may have shot himself in the foot with the vaginal probe controversy, but he would have been perfect. I'd go with an experienced Southern senator--possibly Shelby or Alexander.

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 09:56:07 pm »
Ignore

If Jeb Bush was Jeb Miller, he'd be the runaway choice for me. But it isn't...

Governor McDonnell and Senator Rubio. Needs to be someone who can bring their state in the Romney column.

On my "2012" map, I think Ohio/Pennsylvania, Florida, Indiana, North Carolina, and New Hampshire are states Romney can definitely position himself to win. Ohio is the only one where Obama is holding a pretty moderate lead, but heavy focus there and we can see it get close again. Giving Romney Ohio and Pennsylvania to Obama (under this assumption, Romney's going to have to focus heavily on one or the other), Obama is at 281 votes, Romney at 257. Therefore, Romney needs 13 votes, and ironically enough, Virginia has 13 votes.

If Portman maybe was around more and more popular in Ohio, Romney could pick him, focus heavily on Pennsylvania, and get to the magic number. Polling indicates that Portman wouldn't help much, so if Romney doesn't grab Virginia as that 6th state, it'd have to be Michigan, and Republicans have absolutely no one who could be Romney's VP there.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 10:01:33 pm »
Ignore

Who do you think are the two most likely choices for VP by Gov. Romney, and why?

I now think it's down to Sen. Portman of Ohio and Gov. McDonnell of Virginia. Why? Because they will not overshadow Romney in the charisma department, will likely get along with The Governor, and provide some political help with regards to Ohio and Virginia respectively (and, to a lesser extent, Pennsylvania and North Carolina respectively).

Sen. Rubio of Florida and Rep. Ryan of Wisconsin are my dark horses. However, they are more likely to overshadow Romney, and obviously there is a strong possibility of both of them running for president down the road, so they potentially have their own agenda. With that said, Rep. Ryan has the looks to woo the women. And we all know this election is going to be decided by women who are independents. Plus, Joe Biden would look so old and washed up on a debate stage with Paul Ryan. Finally, he impressed the hell out of me last week. I feel like there's a real chemistry there with The Governor that no other potential veep, especially a conservative darling, possesses.

Didn't know either man swung that way. Tongue

Seriously, Paul Ryan prob didn't real connect w/ Mitt, he's just mobilizing for a future presidential run.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:15:52 pm »
Ignore

Didn't know either man swung that way. Tongue

Seriously, Paul Ryan prob didn't real connect w/ Mitt, he's just mobilizing for a future presidential run.

Politico's right.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-romney-and-ryan-campaign-across-wisconsin-chemistry-and-talk-of-a-ticket/2012/04/04/gIQAB4sCvS_story.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304072004577326121349036752.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/us/politics/ryan-architect-of-gop-budget-in-election-focus.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:22:06 pm by Bob Rae: I want a WAHMBULANCE!!! »Logged

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  »

- Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Scooter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 11:11:53 pm »
Ignore

John Thune or Richard Burr
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:13 pm »
Ignore

I think Mitch Daniels is a solid choice.

America's like that hot chick everyone wants, and illegal immigrants are all the nerds that she should say "no" to.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
YaBB God
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -5.22

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 04:53:14 am »
Ignore

FWIW, there hasn't been a ticket without federal experience since 1948 (Dewey-Warren).

Bob Findley: "You're a real dyed-in-the-wool son-of-a-bitch. Anyone ever told you that?"
Steve Everett: "Just close friends and family,"

Clint Eastwood's "True Crime", 1999.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 11:14:21 am »
Ignore

For a candidate with federal experience, I like John Thune.

WORST PRESIDENT
SINCE WORLD WAR II
Reaganfan
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 01:25:34 pm »
Ignore

Portman, Thune seem most likely.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 01:29:29 pm »
Ignore

I think Mitch Daniels is a solid choice.

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
Cobbler
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 01:48:04 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, I forgot about Thune. I'd say he'd be a pretty safe pick. An evangelical, telegenic Senator from the Midwest that won't scare independents and won't overshadow Romney.

Economic score: +2.19
Social score: -5.74
Pyrofox
PyroTheFox
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 02:01:20 pm »
Ignore

If Romney wants to actually get elected, picking a VP that won't 'overshadow' him can't be his top concern. The fact of it is, is that more people will want to vote for Romney if Rubio or Christie is his running mate than Portman. Republicans are already unenthusiastic enough about their inevitable candidate, might as well give him a VP to increase turnout.
RodPresident
YaBB God
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 03:08:39 pm »
Ignore

Tom Corbett maybe a good choice. Pennsylvania is a state that Romney has more chances than Ohio.

10 years without Brizola
Earthling
YaBB God
Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 03:16:09 pm »
Ignore

With his approval rating at 41% he is not going to help Romney in Pennsylvania.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/gov_tom_corbetts_approval_rati.html

There's no I in team, but there is a ME

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout