Veepstakes: Who You Think Are the Two Most Likely Running Mates...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:42:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Veepstakes: Who You Think Are the Two Most Likely Running Mates...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Veepstakes: Who You Think Are the Two Most Likely Running Mates...  (Read 3489 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »
« edited: April 05, 2012, 04:31:07 PM by Politico »

Who do you think are the two most likely choices for VP by Gov. Romney, and why?

I now think it's down to Sen. Portman of Ohio and Gov. McDonnell of Virginia. Why? Because they will not overshadow Romney in the charisma department, will likely get along with The Governor, and provide some political help with regards to Ohio and Virginia respectively (and, to a lesser extent, Pennsylvania and North Carolina respectively).

Sen. Rubio of Florida and Rep. Ryan of Wisconsin are my dark horses. However, they are more likely to overshadow Romney, and obviously there is a strong possibility of both of them running for president down the road, so they potentially have their own agenda. With that said, Rep. Ryan has the looks to woo the women. And we all know this election is going to be decided by women who are independents. Plus, Joe Biden would look so old and washed up on a debate stage with Paul Ryan. Finally, he impressed the hell out of me last week. I feel like there's a real chemistry there with The Governor that no other potential veep, especially a conservative darling, possesses.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »

If he's picking a governor, then Jindal or McDonnell. If someone else, then Ryan.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »

So women will vote for a ticket with Paul Ryan because he's hot? Ryan would result in Obama getting 70% of the senior vote.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »

I think a good dark horse would be Sonny Perdue.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »

So women will vote for a ticket with Paul Ryan because he's hot? Ryan would result in Obama getting 70% of the senior vote.

The other 30% of the senior vote being seniors who use 'Just For Men'.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 06:38:39 PM »

Christie or Rubio.

If he's going to go with someone that is not charismatic, I think he'll choose Mitch Daniels still. He has higher name recognition, and he has conservative credentials and is from the Midwest without being nearly as polarizing as Paul Ryan would be.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:09:41 PM »

Either McDonnell or an elder-statesman type.  Who, I'm not sure.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »

Duke Cunningham
Trent Lott
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »

Jeb Bush has the respect of the party base, is attractive to independents and moderates, would be seen by the electorate as someone who could assume the Presidency if necessary, and speaks spanish.

Look past the fact his name is Bush and you have a great VP pick.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 09:27:18 PM »

Rubio and Ryan.  Rubio can solidify the Conservative base, but Ryan has the financial business background to get us out of debt surely.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 09:36:33 PM »

Can't imagine who would want to follow in the footsteps of Sarah Palin, John Edwards, and Joe Lieberman.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »

Thune is his safe choice--liked by the Religious Right but boring enough that he won't seem crazy to independents. Jindal, as RB has said several times, could bring some life into the ticket, but after the BP thing I see him as a potential wild card if he turns off independents too much. The 2010 governors have potential as well, but could be Palin repeats. Bob McDonnell may have shot himself in the foot with the vaginal probe controversy, but he would have been perfect. I'd go with an experienced Southern senator--possibly Shelby or Alexander.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 09:56:07 PM »

If Jeb Bush was Jeb Miller, he'd be the runaway choice for me. But it isn't...

Governor McDonnell and Senator Rubio. Needs to be someone who can bring their state in the Romney column.

On my "2012" map, I think Ohio/Pennsylvania, Florida, Indiana, North Carolina, and New Hampshire are states Romney can definitely position himself to win. Ohio is the only one where Obama is holding a pretty moderate lead, but heavy focus there and we can see it get close again. Giving Romney Ohio and Pennsylvania to Obama (under this assumption, Romney's going to have to focus heavily on one or the other), Obama is at 281 votes, Romney at 257. Therefore, Romney needs 13 votes, and ironically enough, Virginia has 13 votes.

If Portman maybe was around more and more popular in Ohio, Romney could pick him, focus heavily on Pennsylvania, and get to the magic number. Polling indicates that Portman wouldn't help much, so if Romney doesn't grab Virginia as that 6th state, it'd have to be Michigan, and Republicans have absolutely no one who could be Romney's VP there.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »

Who do you think are the two most likely choices for VP by Gov. Romney, and why?

I now think it's down to Sen. Portman of Ohio and Gov. McDonnell of Virginia. Why? Because they will not overshadow Romney in the charisma department, will likely get along with The Governor, and provide some political help with regards to Ohio and Virginia respectively (and, to a lesser extent, Pennsylvania and North Carolina respectively).

Sen. Rubio of Florida and Rep. Ryan of Wisconsin are my dark horses. However, they are more likely to overshadow Romney, and obviously there is a strong possibility of both of them running for president down the road, so they potentially have their own agenda. With that said, Rep. Ryan has the looks to woo the women. And we all know this election is going to be decided by women who are independents. Plus, Joe Biden would look so old and washed up on a debate stage with Paul Ryan. Finally, he impressed the hell out of me last week. I feel like there's a real chemistry there with The Governor that no other potential veep, especially a conservative darling, possesses.

Didn't know either man swung that way. Tongue

Seriously, Paul Ryan prob didn't real connect w/ Mitt, he's just mobilizing for a future presidential run.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:15:52 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2012, 10:22:06 PM by Bob Rae: I want a WAHMBULANCE!!! »

Didn't know either man swung that way. Tongue

Seriously, Paul Ryan prob didn't real connect w/ Mitt, he's just mobilizing for a future presidential run.

Politico's right.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-romney-and-ryan-campaign-across-wisconsin-chemistry-and-talk-of-a-ticket/2012/04/04/gIQAB4sCvS_story.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304072004577326121349036752.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/us/politics/ryan-architect-of-gop-budget-in-election-focus.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Scooter

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 11:11:53 PM »

John Thune or Richard Burr
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »

I think Mitch Daniels is a solid choice.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 04:53:14 AM »

FWIW, there hasn't been a ticket without federal experience since 1948 (Dewey-Warren).
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »

For a candidate with federal experience, I like John Thune.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »

Portman, Thune seem most likely.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 01:29:29 PM »

I think Mitch Daniels is a solid choice.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 01:48:04 PM »

Yeah, I forgot about Thune. I'd say he'd be a pretty safe pick. An evangelical, telegenic Senator from the Midwest that won't scare independents and won't overshadow Romney.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »

If Romney wants to actually get elected, picking a VP that won't 'overshadow' him can't be his top concern. The fact of it is, is that more people will want to vote for Romney if Rubio or Christie is his running mate than Portman. Republicans are already unenthusiastic enough about their inevitable candidate, might as well give him a VP to increase turnout.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »

Tom Corbett maybe a good choice. Pennsylvania is a state that Romney has more chances than Ohio.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 03:16:09 PM »

With his approval rating at 41% he is not going to help Romney in Pennsylvania.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/gov_tom_corbetts_approval_rati.html
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies