The Good Post Gallery
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:12:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Good Post Gallery
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45
Author Topic: The Good Post Gallery  (Read 179645 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: April 15, 2013, 11:43:41 PM »

Was Torie trying to land in here? If so, he succeeded.

I hope this bit of whether it matters whether the perps where of the Left or Right, non political, Christian, Muslim or atheist, or none of the above, is out of everyone's system. There are nutters out there from all stripes, and to make something out of what the nutter(s) believed as opposed to what was done, simply serves no useful purpose that I can think of.

And I say nutter deliberately. No cause can be furthered by this sort of act. It can only be hurt. Most of the planet recoils from the slaughter of the totally innocent. It requires a psychotic mind to go where the perp(s) went here.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #676 on: April 15, 2013, 11:46:09 PM »

So bold.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #677 on: April 16, 2013, 05:28:26 AM »

What an angry, angry man
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #678 on: April 16, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »

It's just a hyperbolic way of saying that they'd rather keep the thread only for actual news and updates and not this:

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #679 on: April 16, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »

Why are environmentalists so enthusiastic about the electric car?

Quick answer : The smarter ones ain't.

The other quick answer is that while environmentalism is fashionable in many circles, advocating that people actually need to change their way of life significantly is not. The electric car lies at the heart of the fantasy that we can "save the planet" without giving up any luxury or convenience.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #680 on: April 16, 2013, 02:17:27 PM »

Again, I said the only reason that I posted that picture of that dog was to try and cheer up people that may have been upset.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #681 on: April 16, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »

What the f[inks]ck is wrong with you?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #682 on: April 16, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »

Keep that out of here. Whatever it is - I'm not inclined to be nearly as harsh as Al - it's not a good post and should not be discussed here.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #683 on: April 16, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »

Fair enough. Sorry.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #684 on: April 16, 2013, 03:14:43 PM »

Any plans to take that sig image down soon 20RP12? Less is sometimes more.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #685 on: April 16, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »

Any plans to take that sig image down soon 20RP12? Less is sometimes more.

Also seems fair.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #686 on: April 16, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »

Thank you 20RP12. I appreciate your accommodating me on this very much.  Smiley
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #687 on: April 16, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »

Thank you 20RP12. I appreciate your accommodating me on this very much.  Smiley

I'm sure you weren't the only one that was uncomfortable with it Tongue But no problem!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #688 on: April 16, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »

Good thing I have signatures turned off.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #689 on: April 16, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »

If, I had just awakened from my nap, startled somewhat by the conversation Geraldo Rivera was having with the X mayor of NYC, Giuliani, on his radio show talking about the ripping of body parts with metal objects - - - I, would have thought, WHY, are they describing in such graphic terms the advocacy of their choice, abortion? Fortunately, I wasn’t taking a nap and they were actually talking about the murders and mayhem in Boston yesterday. Not much sleep has happened since.   
 Massachusetts, where everything is illegal, pensioned for the protection of the people, a lab for the debauchery of the human race, and yet, once again, the place where a grievance will not be acceptable to a majority.

jao

Is t_host1 our finest poster?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #690 on: April 17, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #691 on: April 18, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »

Thank you to the "0 (needless insult)" people for flying their douche flag so high.  It makes it easier for us to identify you.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #692 on: April 18, 2013, 10:06:08 PM »

Krazen, errors are inevitably going to be made, for which remedies will have to be applied.  The error mentioned here was corrected using due process, so this case proves exactly the opposite of the point you seem to be trying to make.  That you seem to be unable to comprehend such things is what makes people think you are a kook, a troll, or both.  It's a shame as we could use someone here who makes a good case for quite a few of the topics you post on.  Alas, with you here, it is less likely that someone who can competently argue the positions you take will show up lest they be considered a kook or a troll as well. It is a shame that people tend to judge position by the quality of their advocates, rather than by the quality of the facts supporting the position. However since your posts cloud your chosen issues with poor quality in your facts, your advocacy, or both, you tend to lessen the support for the positions you advocate rather than strengthen such support.

Of course, you are not the only person who has posted in this thread that my comments in this post could apply to, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to improve those who rarely manage more than a single line of snark.  You clearly have some talent, I just wish you would make use of it more productively than you do.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #693 on: April 18, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »

I assume someone has noted that a substantial percentage of teens getting pregnant not married, etc. want to do so. They assume that the stack is wired against them, and they don't have a future, so why not feel important, and have someone to love, by having a baby?  This issue is not going to be "solved" by having more health classes, or birth control available. It's far deeper and more intractable than that.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #694 on: April 21, 2013, 08:54:35 AM »

These are some very interesting posts, and really what I had hoped this thread would turn into, instead of "how to get a girlfriend" or yet another Atlas Forum treasure trove of bad dating advice and misogyny. Thank you for sharing realisticidealist (and Torie).

I've always felt somewhat differently about the "nobody would choose to be gay" argument than most people, given that I feel like I did have a lot of choice w/r/t my sexual orientation and gender identity (a little bit more about the former than the latter, but still with both). I'm not saying it was completely a choice, but I do feel that without some conscious choice on my part I would have been a cisgender male and relatively happy about it (I mean, I'm pretty depressed overall right now, but that specifically wouldn't have been causing much discomfort). I also am not saying it is this way for everyone; I'm definitely a tiny minority here. I'm not entirely sure why I chose instead to be a pansexual transgender woman. Some of it is that I am pretty "feminine" in personality, but not in the sense that living as a feminine man would have been impossible or difficult. Tbqh, part of it was that being yet another cis-het man is sort of...boring (that sounds extremely pretentious and self-absorbed, I know). I'm sure a lot of it does have to do with growing up in the 21st century with liberal parents in a relatively tolerant area. Not that my family or everyone has been entirely accepting, but I'm sure if I was born at the time Torie was I it wouldn't have been a choice I would have ever made. Truth be told, when I read this:
I honestly don't care for men generally, by which I mean both that the masculine archetype disturbs and perplexes me and that I don't really have friends of my own gender...I just like women more in almost every way. I wonder sometimes if I "should" be one, but this thought is so apart from reality that I don't bother with it more than fleetingly.
...it made me wonder how similar I would be to RI if I had come from a similar background, because that really resonated with me and fits myself as well, though to a greater degree than RI was describing. Idk, I'm not 100% sure about what my own gender/sexuality actually is or how much of it was innate or chosen, but I've come to the conclusion that this is the kind of thing that isn't really rational, and "this feels right" is all the justification I or anyone needs. 

On a political level, I don't really like the "born this way" argument that so many pro-LGBT groups use, even if it is true for the vast majority of people. I'd much rather rally behind the banner of "acceptance and equal rights for all, regardless of gender or sexuality and whether or not it was a choice" than "this is just the way we are, there's no changing it, so get used to it". I see the utility of the latter for convincing people, but I feel uncomfortable when some LGBT people and allies insist that that's the way it is for everyone, period.

This whole thing sounded more composed in my head, but it came out sort of rambling. Sorry. I guess that's what the confession thread is for, right?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #695 on: April 22, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »

It's hard to imagine what it's like to be an attractive girl until you have been with one and had first hand experience. Saying no rarely ever works. It's really frightening sometimes to see, but that's the way it is. Which is why I tend to avoid crazy advances towards random girls initially. But to each his own.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #696 on: April 22, 2013, 06:21:55 PM »

These are some very interesting posts, and really what I had hoped this thread would turn into, instead of "how to get a girlfriend" or yet another Atlas Forum treasure trove of bad dating advice and misogyny. Thank you for sharing realisticidealist (and Torie).

I've always felt somewhat differently about the "nobody would choose to be gay" argument than most people, given that I feel like I did have a lot of choice w/r/t my sexual orientation and gender identity (a little bit more about the former than the latter, but still with both). I'm not saying it was completely a choice, but I do feel that without some conscious choice on my part I would have been a cisgender male and relatively happy about it (I mean, I'm pretty depressed overall right now, but that specifically wouldn't have been causing much discomfort). I also am not saying it is this way for everyone; I'm definitely a tiny minority here. I'm not entirely sure why I chose instead to be a pansexual transgender woman. Some of it is that I am pretty "feminine" in personality, but not in the sense that living as a feminine man would have been impossible or difficult. Tbqh, part of it was that being yet another cis-het man is sort of...boring (that sounds extremely pretentious and self-absorbed, I know). I'm sure a lot of it does have to do with growing up in the 21st century with liberal parents in a relatively tolerant area. Not that my family or everyone has been entirely accepting, but I'm sure if I was born at the time Torie was I it wouldn't have been a choice I would have ever made. Truth be told, when I read this:
I honestly don't care for men generally, by which I mean both that the masculine archetype disturbs and perplexes me and that I don't really have friends of my own gender...I just like women more in almost every way. I wonder sometimes if I "should" be one, but this thought is so apart from reality that I don't bother with it more than fleetingly.
...it made me wonder how similar I would be to RI if I had come from a similar background, because that really resonated with me and fits myself as well, though to a greater degree than RI was describing. Idk, I'm not 100% sure about what my own gender/sexuality actually is or how much of it was innate or chosen, but I've come to the conclusion that this is the kind of thing that isn't really rational, and "this feels right" is all the justification I or anyone needs. 

On a political level, I don't really like the "born this way" argument that so many pro-LGBT groups use, even if it is true for the vast majority of people. I'd much rather rally behind the banner of "acceptance and equal rights for all, regardless of gender or sexuality and whether or not it was a choice" than "this is just the way we are, there's no changing it, so get used to it". I see the utility of the latter for convincing people, but I feel uncomfortable when some LGBT people and allies insist that that's the way it is for everyone, period.

This whole thing sounded more composed in my head, but it came out sort of rambling. Sorry. I guess that's what the confession thread is for, right?

That was a good post? lol...I certainly didn't think so.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #697 on: April 22, 2013, 08:42:22 PM »

That was a good post? lol...I certainly didn't think so.

Well, it wasn't exceptionally grammatical and had some random personal monologues of self doubt in it.  However, I agree with the overall point made.  Which seems to be how things are done in this thread.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #698 on: April 24, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »

This thing was about to go onto page 2.

And how true that is.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #699 on: April 24, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »

This thing was about to go onto page 2.

And how true that is.

I doubt he can understand anything which is not related to him, so.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies