The Good Post Gallery
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:17:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Good Post Gallery
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45
Author Topic: The Good Post Gallery  (Read 178137 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: September 26, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »

What is the difference between the Republican Party and the KKE?

One is a delusional party held afloat by denial of the modern day and yearning for an antiquated era. It has no vision how to govern and serves no purpose but to attack the existing governments and mess things up without offering any coherent and workable ideas of its own. It offers no modern day leadership and is stuck in idolizing leaders who were in office decades ago, largely because it offers no new ideas or solutions, just empty rhetoric and slogans and whenever dealt a defeat simply blames the media and the whole system for being unfair and biased against them.

The other is a communist party in a debt-ridden Mediterranean country.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1076 on: September 26, 2013, 02:13:33 PM »

Like many places on the internet I think men here confuse "women don't want to have sex with me" with "attractive women don't want to have sex".
Not a very important point, since it's true for an overwhelming majority of male population. Unfortunately most of the working-class males in US are too dumb to emigrate to fix the problem for themselves and their bros at home.

ITT:

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1077 on: September 26, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »

Outside of a few places in Europe where the women are generally very good looking, Europe is more like this:

Not fat, per se, but definitely not hot.  There's always something off with the symmetry, the nose, the teeth, or the eyes.  You never go "oh, what a wuff" but you're always left with a disconcerting "something's just not quite right" feeling.

The intermixing in America has done a lot of good for looks, even if Americans are fat.  People can lose weight.  They can't lose plain.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #1078 on: September 26, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »

Elections are ultimately simply a means to an end. If it were possible to create representative, benevolent, stable, and effective governments without going through the expensive, time-consuming and divisive pageantry of elections, then surely we would (or we should at least). Unfortunately that's not possible, so we look to elections to create those governments, and we craft our electoral systems to best achieve those ends (representativeness, stability, coherence, efficiency, accountability... I'm sure you can think of other values that are important as well). So while I think the focus on representativeness is important, it's not the most important value in the governments we want our electoral systems to result in. While it might be nice to allow a party that 2% of the population supports to have a couple of seats in the parliament, that generally detracts from the governments satisfying all of those other values. That's why I support relatively high and restrictive thresholds.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1079 on: September 26, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »

Gays have one huge advantage: their target group also wants sex.

Haha, what. Have you met women? They enjoy good sex. More than men do, I think.

Like many places on the internet I think men here confuse "women don't want to have sex with me" with "women don't want to have sex".

Its still the same point.  Males want sex so much they'll have it with (almost) anyone, women hardly want it at all - they only have it with a select few.  The motivation levels are radically different.

Though admittedly it is in fact straight males who are so indiscriminate/desperate - gay men are notoriously fussy, with the gym bodies and all that.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #1080 on: September 26, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »

Seatown's and opebo's posts seem a little contradictory, no? :b

Anyway I know you guys are trolling (as am I) but before some of the impressionable naive 15 year olds here get the wrong idea if you're having trouble finding people to have sex with working on your social skills is much easier and more likely to work than emigrating. just fyi.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1081 on: September 26, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »

Seatown's and opebo's posts seem a little contradictory, no? :b

Anyway I know you guys are trolling (as am I) but before some of the impressionable naive 15 year olds here get the wrong idea if you're having trouble finding people to have sex with working on your social skills is much easier and more likely to work than emigrating. just fyi.

Actually I can't really advise these callow youths.  I always had rather good luck with women in the USA till about age 33.  Emigrating is advisable as one approaches 40, but not before.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1082 on: September 26, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »

Like many places on the internet I think men here confuse "women don't want to have sex with me" with "women don't want to have sex".

Its still the same point.  Males want sex so much they'll have it with (almost) anyone, women hardly want it at all - they only have it with a select few.  The motivation levels are radically different.

Though admittedly it is in fact straight males who are so indiscriminate/desperate - gay men are notoriously fussy, with the gym bodies and all that.

I know plenty of women who go crazy if they don't get sex. I'm not sure where this notion comes from.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1083 on: September 26, 2013, 07:59:50 PM »

the good post gallery is officially dead Sad
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1084 on: September 27, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »

I know plenty of women who go crazy if they don't get sex. I'm not sure where this notion comes from.

From the fact that a small minority of women have a high sexual desire.  Estimates very from 5%-30%.  I'd say an average of those figures - about 20% - is accurate.  Something about 'contrarian evolution' or something like that - any predominant evolved social trait carries with it a counter-strategy that some fairly predictable minority will 'follow'.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1085 on: September 27, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »

Obama is partly to blame because he has negotiated with these terrorists in the past. He has emboldened them and reinforced their behavior. It didn't take a clinical psychologist to see this coming.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1086 on: September 28, 2013, 07:52:20 AM »

Disagreeing with someones politics is one thing, wishing death on their family is something else, approving of that behavior is sickening.

You are a messed up person if you wish death on anyones kids, let alone for political reasons.

I think its obvious at this point that opebo is basically this forum's very own Mme. Defarge.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1087 on: September 28, 2013, 08:38:40 AM »

This is a very rare species of Good Post: the good, yet ironic (considering it's BRTD) post:

This reminds me of why I don't read the Minnesota Progressive Project so much anymore, because it got to the point where about 75% of its posts were "OMG check out this really stupid thing some Republican legislator/state official said!" rather than the analysis of demographics, elections and districts that I liked. Even now there's been more coverage of Michele Bachmann being an idiot than the Minneapolis mayoral election.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1088 on: September 28, 2013, 05:43:54 PM »

Good post because it sums up Obamacare and cuts through the BS:

1. It is mandated that every American purchase health insurance or pay a fee.

2. To assist in this, the state and/or federal government sets up health care exchanges with Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum plans offered by the government.  The plans are not run by the government, but contracted to private insurers in each state depending on who bidded the lowest price to be the official bronze, silver, gold, or platinum plan in each state. 

3. If you can still not afford the lowest price of these four plans, the government will also be providing tax subsidies depending on your distance from the poverty line--above 100%, 200%, 300%, or 400% to assist you in this payment.

4. Note the subsidies are only for above the poverty line.  If you are below it, you receive an even greater subsidy: the ability to now join Medicaid through a state run Medicaid expansion, paid fully by the federal government.  That's right--free health insurance for the poor at not cost to the state government.  Unfortunately, many states run by anti-Obamacare governors and legislatures have decided against expanding Medicaid, leaving millions of below poverty line Americans with no insurance and no subsidy.  Meaning, the poorest Texans, Alabamans, North Dakotans, etc. will be forced to pay fees for no insurance because the state government refuses to accept free money to give them insurance. On the bright side, the emergency room costs, costs to employers of low income earners, and loss of income by Medicaid institutions is economic damnation for these states and competition between states will eventually require them to file suit.

That, my friends, is Obamacare in four points.  Note how the longest, most convoluted point of the four is the only one where anti-Obamacare influences have tried to meddle in.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1089 on: September 28, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »

From the fact that a small minority of women have a high sexual desire.  Estimates very from 5%-30%.  I'd say an average of those figures - about 20% - is accurate.  Something about 'contrarian evolution' or something like that - any predominant evolved social trait carries with it a counter-strategy that some fairly predictable minority will 'follow'.

What estimates? And what is 'high'? I remain skeptical...
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1090 on: September 30, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »

Let's talk elections for a change.
Our Bundeswahlleiter has similar tables on his website:
http://www.bundeswahlleiter.de/de/bundestagswahlen/BTW_BUND_13/veroeffentlichungen/ergebnisse/
Sadly I found these tables only after I made the maps. His numbers are slightly different mainly because he calculates
[2013 absolute number of LINKE pr votes]/[2009 absolute number of LINKE pr votes]
while I have calculated
[2013 relative share of LINKE pr votes]/[2009 relative share of LINKE pr votes]
The basic pattern remains the same.

I made these quotient maps (for both FDP and LINKE) because I thought that a difference map would not be able to highlight all aspects I wanted to show.

Observations:

- Normally when a party loses votes it loses more in absolute numbers in its strongholds, but relatively more in its weak areas. For example the LINKE has gone down 5.8 points in the East, which is a fifth of their 2009 vote share, and it has gone down 2.7 points in the West, which is almost a third of their 2009 vote share. Similarly for the FDP. The interesting cases are when constituencies deviate from this basic rule (*).

- As Franknburger has pointed out earlier the FDP has hold up relatively good in its urban/metropolitan stronghold, but lost heavily in more rural/small town country, particularly in Catholic areas (e.g. Oberschwaben).
- In the East (except Potsdam), particularly in Saxony, the FDP has lost much more than in their Western weak areas (e.g. Ruhr, Braunschweig)
- The Linke has held up better in Saxony than in the rest of the East despite the basic rule*.
- In Saarland their is some kind of reverse Lafontaine effect.
- For some reason the Linke has remained relatively stable in NRW, in many rural areas (Paderborn?!) better than for example in the Northern Ruhr area, violating the basic rule*.
- In (Eastern) Bavaria and (Northwestern) Lower Saxony the Linke has lost heavily, sometimes (Aurich-Emden, some villages in the Bavarian forest) violating the Basic rule.
- The most striking pattern for the Linke is that they have held up much better in university cities (Münster, Freiburg, Aachen, Tübingen, Heidelberg and so on) in particular and Green strongholds in general. To a great extent this is probably not Green voters switching to the Linke, but sign of an academically educated "alternative" Linke core vote sharing the same milieu with the Greens.
And his maps a few posts above were glorious.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1091 on: October 01, 2013, 11:21:18 AM »

The Republicans obviously.

The wonderful thing about a shutdown is that it reminds people, particularly sections of the ignorant poor (whose ignorance is often fanned by the GOP) of how important the federal government actually is to their daily lives.

Over the past decade the GOP has decamped from the ‘small government’ ethos that once argued for a balanced approach to federal government, state government, funding and growth to a position that seems to be nothing more than out and out hatred for government simply functioning. That attitude also seems to pervade positions taken by the court as well. People say that the GOP has a dislike for minority interests however recently it’s apparent that they are a minority in hatred of the majority. Public support and electoral vindication of ‘Obamacare’ has swamped them, same goes for women’s bodies, gay rights, immigration, education. The GOP takes the minority position on nearly every salient public issue of the day. It no longer rests on the political spectrum at all and is now a conspiracy driven machine. The truth is it’s the internet that did it. The GOP’s grassroots are conspiracy theorists; they are birthers, they are the poor who think Mexicans want to swamp the country, they are the people who think the Muslim Brotherhood have infiltrated the government, the people who think that women can shut down a pregnancy, that climate change isn’t happening, that science is dangerous, that atheists hate America, that teaching children the age of the earth is unconstitutional and that gays are the worst group of people in America. They are the people who boo gay servicemen. They are the Christian right and the Paultards and every ideology of that nature that exists on a diet of conspiracy or if that’s not their thing, create a version of ‘reality’ that meets their needs.

It was etched on their faces on election night; the entire Romney campaign just didn’t know never mind didn’t accept what was actually happening out there. These people have Palin, and Cruz and Beck and Fox and WND and Unskewed Polls and a whole wealth of internet resources to back them up. Reality is nothing more than an inconvenience. The problem for any moderates in the GOP is that these people are now conditioned to think that way. If it means driving the GOP off an electoral cliff they will do it.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1092 on: October 01, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »

Senate Democrats and Obama. 70% of Americans oppose Obamacare. 

By that logic, we should have stricter background checks and an assault weapons ban since a majority of Americans supported that.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1093 on: October 01, 2013, 09:21:54 PM »

Both of these posts, one a response to the other, are quite good in different ways, with one thing about the first one that isn't so good corrected and explicated by the second one:

My church seems to do this a lot too, and it annoys me a lot.  Some examples:

All the Way My Savior Leads Me
You must be logged in to read this quote.
(Probably done because Adventists are mortalist and don't believe people go directly to heaven or hell when they die.)

Christ the Lord is Risen Today (Second verse)

An entire verse of "Jesus Loves Me" was changed:

Original

Updated
This was probably, at least in part, for the same reason as the "All the Way" one.

Rock of Ages (Last verse)
(See above)

A classic example in the vein of the "Amazing Grace" one (one that my pastor fully acknowledged):

At the Cross

Even Christmas carols aren't immune.  "Good Christian Men Rejoice" became "Good Christians Now Rejoice" (probably to make it more "gender neutral"), and nearly all the traditional verses of "Silent Night" (except for the first) were changed into something completely foreign.
One of things that annoys me the most, though, is when they set the hymns to music that isn't used for them in any other church.  "I Sing the Mighty Power of God" is set to a tune that I've never heard in any other denomination, as is "I Gave My Life for Thee," "My Lord and I," and "Hark the Voice of Jesus Crying," among others.  (In fact, the latter got its title changed as well, to "Hark the Voice of Jesus Calling.")  I'm assuming that most of these "new" tunes were written by Adventist composers (There are a few that I know were.)Honestly, I think the mortalist updates are unnecessary too, because even if people don't go to heaven or hell immediately after death, they do at some point after death.

I could go on and on, but simply put, hymns are poetry, and poetry is fine art.  Some of these hymns were beautiful the way they were.  Why change them?  If you disagree with the theology, then don't sing them (or those verses, if they're not in the first one.) 

One of things that annoys me the most, though, is when they set the hymns to music that isn't used for them in any other church.  "I Sing the Mighty Power of God" is set to a tune that I've never heard in any other denomination, as is "I Gave My Life for Thee," "My Lord and I," and "Hark the Voice of Jesus Crying," among others.  (In fact, the latter got its title changed as well, to "Hark the Voice of Jesus Calling.")  I'm assuming that most of these "new" tunes were written by Adventist composers (There are a few that I know were.) Honestly, I think the mortalist updates are unnecessary too, because even if people don't go to heaven or hell immediately after death, they do at some point after death.

Keep in mind that many older hymns were not originally associated with any particular tune.  So it's probably just that the first Adventist hymnal to use it picked "I Sing the Mighty Power of God" at a time when it had not yet become associated with any tune.  Indeed, according to hymnary.org, there are two different tunes most commonly associated with "I Sing the Mighty Power of God".  The arranger of the tune Adventists use "Varina" doesn't appear to have been an Adventist, and certainly not the composer or lyricist since  they both lived in the 18th century. According to hymnary.org the tune "Varina" is most commonly associated with the hymn "There is a Land of Pure Delight".  It was not uncommon in older hymnals to print the lyrics and score separately and use one score with several lyrics that have the same metrical scheme.  This allowed the hymnal to either be smaller or include more hymns.  It also saved money as typesetting music back then was considerably more expensive that typesetting lyrics, especially if you embed the lyrics in the music as is now customary.

The most probable course of events here is that an early Adventist hymnal included both "I Sing the Mighty Power of God" and "There is a Land of Pure Delight" at a time when the former did not yet have a customary tune associated with it. The website I keep citing in this post  has both being used in the 1941 Adventist hymnal, altho "There is a Land of Pure Delight" is not in the 1985 Adventist hymnal.  So I doubt there was any intent at separatism, at least at first.  Choosing to retain "Varina" as the tune instead of switching to either "Ellacombe" or "Forest Green" may have something to do with trying to maintain Adventist particularism, but more likely it's just that by now using "Varina" as the tune for that hymn is traditional to Adventists and with "There is a Land of Pure Delight" no longer competing for the tune, there is even less need to consider switching.  Besides, Adventists use "Forest Green" as the tune for "Eternal God, Whose Power Upholds". which is one of several common choices for that hymn.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1094 on: October 01, 2013, 11:04:02 PM »

Thanks for the mention.  I'm not a Bible literalist, and I never will be, but if I were I think there is a good chance I would be an Adventist.  I do enjoy the local radio station they sponsor here, even when I disagree with their theology, they present it in a logical and respectful manner.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1095 on: October 01, 2013, 11:13:04 PM »

That's ridiculous.  If you have .08 BAC, you are impaired as a driver.  At below .08 BAC, you're impaired.  Some people are more or less impaired, sure, but you have to draw the line somewhere. 

a chronic alcoholic -- ie, someone who drinks himself to .2-.4 BAC regularly for decades on end, is certainly not impaired at .08, and in fact is probably better suited to drive at .08 than he would be at 0 and in the throes of withdrawal, shakes, delirium tremens, etc.

that all depends where your sympathies lie my man.  the DUI industry has given rise to a few destructive and distinct effects: erosion of the 4th amendment (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Dept._of_State_Police_v._Sitz , Thurgood coming down on the correct side of a 4th amendment issue, as usual), cultural deification of law enforcement, and the treatment-industrial complex slush fund.  naturally I hate all of these things more than I hate people who drive while drinking or drunk.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1096 on: October 03, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »

Torie is slowing starting to realize something...

This thought occurred to me yesterday.  The Pub idea of deferring the individual mandate for a year, seems like a fiscally insane idea.  Why? Because Obamacare otherwise will still be in place, and folks voluntarily will still be able to sign up for subsidized insurance, and presumably will in particular if they have pre-existing conditions. So won't those who voluntarily sign up be disproportionately the sicks, and therefore the insured pool of new entrants will be disproportionately sick;  therefore the cash flow out as compared to the premiums in, will just be a sea of horrifically red ink. That tends to be a problem irrespective, given how weak the mandate is, but without any mandate at all, the problem will be worse, no? Yet the media has never discussed this issue to my knowledge nor the Dems, suggesting that I am missing something here. But I can't think what it is.

Why aren't the Dems bashing the Pubs over the head with this argument? To me, it is a dispositive and winning argument from which there is no escape. Can someone help the old man with some of this?  Thanks.

I wish I were a Pub in Congress. They need me. Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1097 on: October 04, 2013, 07:41:54 AM »

So lemme get this straight here. Being "reasonable" on domestic policy excuses him from running what basically constituted massive scams on both the domestic and foreign policy front? Good to know that the political matrix is all that matters in judging presidencies.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #1098 on: October 04, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »

You know, some days its hard to be a republican.

Obama passed Obama care, he did a bunch of stuff, he got reelected, okay, then what? I mean, the guy was reelected. Get over it. DOn;t shut down this government because of something The People voted to KEEP in office. Christ almighty. ing tea party is ruining the party I once held so near and dear to my heart and forcing me to switch sides and become a Democrat.

What will this solve? We aren;t getting RID of Obama care. If we wanted to do that, we would have elected Romney, but we didn't, so here it is. Hang it around our necks and OWN it like a hooker owns her reputation.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1099 on: October 05, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »

It's unfortunate that we have seen the retirement age increased, rather than lowered as of late. Really, I would say people should start retiring while in their fifties, even at 50 itself. That's when I would mark someone as "older." Plus people shouldn't have to work their entire f**ing lives.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies