CT to repeal the death penalty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:14:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CT to repeal the death penalty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: CT to repeal the death penalty  (Read 21019 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 04:50:44 AM »

I usually support the death penalty for extreme cases, where the crime is heinous and the evidence overwhelming.
But it's been so abused in the states that I welcome the steady erosion of its status.

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 07:22:08 AM »

Good move.

People that said disgusting = HP.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 07:27:36 AM »

Really? Not that you disagree with it, not that you think it's ineffectual policy, but the notion of not executing criminals disgusts you? Your morals are f'ed.

Remember guys, conservatives are pro-life.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 07:31:31 AM »

Really? Not that you disagree with it, not that you think it's ineffectual policy, but the notion of not executing criminals disgusts you? Your morals are f'ed.

Absolutely. It's just that living beings don't count. But praise Jesus, they're fighting for the unborn!!!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 07:35:50 AM »

The unborn are undeniably living beings. People don't count.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 07:40:59 AM »

Unborn do not kill people.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »

Nor do "pro-life" people. Or rather, they usually are in favor, but it certainly isn't consistent.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 08:16:37 AM »

Conceptions of justice and legal ethics have advanced a bit since the days of the lex talionis, my friend.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 08:19:16 AM »

The chances that CA voters repeal the death penalty are not too bad actually.

The ballot language will probably include "and replace it with life imprisonment without the chance of parole".

And the latest Field poll shows:

48% life without parole
40% death penalty

http://field.com/fieldpollonline/subscribers/Rls2393.pdf

And as you can see from the historical poll results, support for life without parole is steadily increasing.

If you think California voters will repeal the death penalty, you're crazy.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »

It's easy to understand why people would be disgusted that tax payers are being made to house, clothe, feed and provide recreation and entertainment for people that in many cases are violent multiple offenders. Although given how expensive and slow death row is I can't say I particularly care. But I can understand why people would react so viscerally to this.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 08:37:03 AM »

Now they just need to overturn Roe vs Wade. Both of these issues should of been handled individually by the state in the first place, I feel any federal government involvement in either of these issues is a huge overreach and really goes against state sovereignty. If it was an issue like "Gay rights" I'd be much more open to a federal decision to protect rights because I feel that borders on a Civil rights issue.

Personally I find it a huge contradiction when conservatives are "Pro life", then they try and justify the killing of selective inmates; the same why I find it a contradiction when Liberals defend a women's right to kill her fetus and then would fight to the death to protect the life on an inmate.

Personally I'm against both abortion and the death penalty for the same reason because I feel my life should be protected from the time I'm first conceived to the time when I'm on trial for a crime(Hypothetically of course).

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2012, 08:39:06 AM »

I go back and forth on my personal feeling regarding the ethics of capital punishment itself (assuming perfect implementation, which doesn't exist). On one hand, the State can punish people who commit crimes, whether you steal their money or freedom (jail) as a punishment or take their life (execution), it seems rather comparable, just varying levels of severity.

On the other hand, I often feel that everyone has (or should have, depending on country) an absolute, undeniable right to live, no matter who he is and what he did, and the irreversible nature of death does make it different from other punishments.

Whatever you think, though, it's certainly inappropriate to consider NOT killing people disgusting. That's just a basic principle of decency. That indicates a lack of character and conscience (both of which are true about the poster in question).
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »

I go back and forth on my personal feeling regarding the ethics of capital punishment itself (assuming perfect implementation, which doesn't exist). On one hand, the State can punish people who commit crimes, whether you steal their money or freedom (jail) as a punishment or take their life (execution), it seems rather comparable, just varying levels of severity.

On the other hand, I often feel that everyone has (or should have, depending on country) an absolute, undeniable right to live, no matter who he is and what he did, and the irreversible nature of death does make it different from other punishments.

Whatever you think, though, it's certainly inappropriate to consider NOT killing people disgusting. That's just a basic principle of decency. That indicates a lack of character and conscience (both of which are true about the poster in question).

Well sure, but then prison isn't exactly risk free for inmates. My personal attitude leans more towards just executing people with multiple strikes though as I implied earlier. I could see some ambiguity in terms of individual murder cases but not if someone has a repeated pattern of psychopathic behavior that makes them extremely dangerous to staff or inmates. My gut feeling is such people should just be put down.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »

Standards vary. I tend to think the gloating over the assassination of a political enemy inappropriate and disgusting and violating basic principles of decency, and most people here seem to feel the same way.
Neither our Chancellor nor virtually any American seems to agree, though.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »

Unless that life is gay, black, Atheist, Muslim, Hispanic...you know what, anyone who isn't white. White American. No, just no rights for anyone.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »

I have a question: since you are so attached to having the death penalty, would you have balls to personally push the button?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »

Unless that life is gay, black, Atheist, Muslim, Hispanic...you know what, anyone who isn't white. White American. No, just no rights for anyone.
Uh, "conservatives" are so pathetic on racial pandering they like to claim Martin Luther King Jr. was one of them at this point and brag that Bush's administration was the most "diverse."
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2012, 01:08:01 PM »

The chances that CA voters repeal the death penalty are not too bad actually.

The ballot language will probably include "and replace it with life imprisonment without the chance of parole".

And the latest Field poll shows:

48% life without parole
40% death penalty

http://field.com/fieldpollonline/subscribers/Rls2393.pdf

And as you can see from the historical poll results, support for life without parole is steadily increasing.

If you think California voters will repeal the death penalty, you're crazy.
Why? The polls are favorable.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »

Uh, "conservatives" are so pathetic on racial pandering they like to claim Martin Luther King Jr. was one of them at this point and brag that Bush's administration was the most "diverse."

Yes, I know. My mother, who is a Conservative, always uses the "Martin Luther King was a Republican, Carl" excuse, to which I usually respond with "so was Teddy Roosevelt."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2012, 03:54:01 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2012, 03:57:09 PM by Kalwejt »

I can't see states like California repealing the death penalty, but I can't see these states coming close to use it again either.

In states like California or Pennsylvania, the death penalty became essentially an extremely expensive form of life in prison.

Pennsylvania is a very good example: there were literally hundreds of death warrants signed by all successive Governors since Dick Thornburgh. And yet, there were only three executions, all in 1990s (which was most prolific decade in executing inmates since 1977). All three were "volunteers", that waived their appeals and refused to ask for clemency.

The death penalty in the United States is in decline. Severeal states abolished it, in others, as I said, death sentence is effectively life in prison.

Of course, I can't see it abolished entirely in near (and probably later) future. But executions number is going down even in very pro-death penalty states, especially in the South.

Unborn is not a part of society.

This is probably the dumbest argument ever made on Atlas, at least since I'm here.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »

So you accept that fetuses and humans are different then?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »

Since the death penalty is more expensive than feeding and housing a prisoner for a life sentence, any Republican or Libertarian who supports the death penalty is a hypocrite.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2012, 06:24:31 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2012, 06:33:03 PM by Frodo »

I have a question: since you are so attached to having the death penalty, would you have balls to personally push the button?

If the convict in question harmed me personally by killing a member of my family, I would push that damn button in a heartbeat.  And he should be thanking his lucky stars that I let the law take its course as opposed to taking it in my own hands.    

But that's just me.

Now back to my less emotional, and more rational side:

Since the death penalty is more expensive than feeding and housing a prisoner for a life sentence, any Republican or Libertarian who supports the death penalty is a hypocrite.

That would be a major reason why I would acquiesce in its repeal, if you look at it in a purely cost-benefit-analysis standpoint.

Of course that, and the fact that our criminal justice system has its imperfections, particularly for those of less economic means, which results in suspects being convicted of crimes they did not commit, which sometimes results in innocents being executed.  
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »

If the convict in question harmed me personally by killing a member of my family, I would push that damn button in a heartbeat.  And he should be thanking his lucky stars that I let the law take its course as opposed to taking it in my own hands.    

But that's just me. 

And if the case does not involve you personally, would you be willing to personally push the button, since you support the death penalty?

After all, it's in your name already.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2012, 06:39:05 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2012, 06:46:07 PM by Frodo »

But that's just me.  

And if the case does not involve you personally, would you be willing to personally push the button, since you support the death penalty?

After all, it's in your name already.

I probably would -after all, the victim that same convict raped, tortured, and killed without remorse could just as easily be a family member.  

Are there any more hypothetical questions, Kalwejt, or would that be all?  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies