CT to repeal the death penalty (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:33:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CT to repeal the death penalty (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CT to repeal the death penalty  (Read 21274 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: April 07, 2012, 07:31:31 AM »

Really? Not that you disagree with it, not that you think it's ineffectual policy, but the notion of not executing criminals disgusts you? Your morals are f'ed.

Remember guys, conservatives are pro-life.

Absolutely. It's just that living beings don't count. But praise Jesus, they're fighting for the unborn!!!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »

Nor do "pro-life" people. Or rather, they usually are in favor, but it certainly isn't consistent.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:39:06 AM »

I go back and forth on my personal feeling regarding the ethics of capital punishment itself (assuming perfect implementation, which doesn't exist). On one hand, the State can punish people who commit crimes, whether you steal their money or freedom (jail) as a punishment or take their life (execution), it seems rather comparable, just varying levels of severity.

On the other hand, I often feel that everyone has (or should have, depending on country) an absolute, undeniable right to live, no matter who he is and what he did, and the irreversible nature of death does make it different from other punishments.

Whatever you think, though, it's certainly inappropriate to consider NOT killing people disgusting. That's just a basic principle of decency. That indicates a lack of character and conscience (both of which are true about the poster in question).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:57:05 AM »

Wait, are people here claiming that vengeance is not a valid foundation of the justice system? I would argue it is the only sensible (and, yes, rational foundation).

What else would be the purpose of the justice system?

I don't personally believe in it (usually), but many will argue "rehabilitation".
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 01:13:37 AM »

Good news and well said by Malloy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies