CT to repeal the death penalty (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CT to repeal the death penalty (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CT to repeal the death penalty  (Read 21311 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: April 07, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »

I have a question: since you are so attached to having the death penalty, would you have balls to personally push the button?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 03:54:01 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2012, 03:57:09 PM by Kalwejt »

I can't see states like California repealing the death penalty, but I can't see these states coming close to use it again either.

In states like California or Pennsylvania, the death penalty became essentially an extremely expensive form of life in prison.

Pennsylvania is a very good example: there were literally hundreds of death warrants signed by all successive Governors since Dick Thornburgh. And yet, there were only three executions, all in 1990s (which was most prolific decade in executing inmates since 1977). All three were "volunteers", that waived their appeals and refused to ask for clemency.

The death penalty in the United States is in decline. Severeal states abolished it, in others, as I said, death sentence is effectively life in prison.

Of course, I can't see it abolished entirely in near (and probably later) future. But executions number is going down even in very pro-death penalty states, especially in the South.

Unborn is not a part of society.

This is probably the dumbest argument ever made on Atlas, at least since I'm here.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »

I have a question: since you are so attached to having the death penalty, would you have balls to personally push the button?

If the convict in question harmed me personally by killing a member of my family, I would push that damn button in a heartbeat.  And he should be thanking his lucky stars that I let the law take its course as opposed to taking it in my own hands.    

But that's just me. 

And if the case does not involve you personally, would you be willing to personally push the button, since you support the death penalty?

After all, it's in your name already.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 01:58:13 AM »

They used to be, unlike unborns, that just may become ones.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »

I think Frodo captures much of what victims' families feel after such a tragedy and we then kill the murderer not for the public safety but our own thrist for blood.

Don't be so quick:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://deathpenaltyinfo.org/connecticut-senate-poised-vote-death-penalty-repeal
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »

Seriously, this is just a f[inks]ing show.

A "show" that is going to save a lot of money.

Unused death penalty is pretty expensive. Ironic, but true.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:54:51 PM »

So, they sentences are not commuted automatically? In most cases, when jurisdiction abolished the death penalty, sentences are commutted. In some cases, like in New Mexico, the death penalty is eliminated in all future cases, while those already sentenced are "grandfathered".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »

So, they sentences are not commuted automatically? In most cases, when jurisdiction abolished the death penalty, sentences are commutted. In some cases, like in New Mexico, the death penalty is eliminated in all future cases, while those already sentenced are "grandfathered".

I too was surprised, but it is what I heard on the morning news. I won't be surprised if Malloy commutes them all, but that would be his responsibility, the law does not do that.

Speaking of New Mexico example, it would be a sad irony to see three remaining death row inmates executed by the state, that abolished the death penalty.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies