Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 10:53:23 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  I suggest we shut this board down until mid-July
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I suggest we shut this board down until mid-July  (Read 1360 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2012, 10:55:49 am »
Ignore

There will only be three types of threads posted until then:

- What about xxx for Vice President?
- Make a map of Obama/Biden vs. Romney/xxx
- How would the hypothetical independent candidacy of xxx affect the race?

Let's just save ourselves some time and end it now.
Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 10:58:43 am »
Ignore

Just ignore the board. That's what I intend on doing.
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:59:29 am »
Ignore

Oh great, this board might get even worse than it was 1-2 years ago during that process. How much I hate the VP selection process.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.09

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:02:17 am »
Ignore

Yeah this board was a lot more interesting before Romney won the nomination.

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:13:13 am »
Ignore

I actually like those three types of posts, so I think we ought to keep the board up and running through Inauguration Day 2013 when we need to start turning our attention to the 2014 mid-terms and the 2016 Presidential Election.

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:14:19 am »
Ignore

I actually like those three types of posts, so I think we ought to keep the board up and running through Inauguration Day 2013 when we need to start turning our attention to the 2014 mid-terms and the 2016 Presidential Election.

Oh I'm sure you do.
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 11:17:34 am »
Ignore

Plus, despite it's dry spells the 20xx presidential election boards are, to me, the anchor threads of this forum.  I don't think this forum, in all its greatness and longevity, would be around if it weren't for the Presidential Elections.

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 11:18:36 am »
Ignore

Well, actually this is the place to monitor the gaffes and stumbles and two-steps and so forth of Obama and Mittens. I failed to notice by the way much about Obama's launch of his "war on the courts."  So many wars, so little time.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 11:35:21 am »
Ignore

Oh great, this board might get even worse than it was 1-2 years ago during that process. How much I hate the VP selection process.

would McDonnell clinch NC for Romney?

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 11:46:02 am »
Ignore

would McDonnell clinch NC for Romney?

He's a neighboring state governor!
King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 01:27:11 pm »
Ignore

I think it's important that we heavily moderate and attempt to keep up the quality of discussion on the board during that time.  There will also be an influx of guest views during that time and it would be wise to give the impression that the board isn't a hangout for the mentally retarded. 

Dad told me "whatever you do, do not go back to customer service."
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 02:31:27 pm »
Ignore

I think it's important that we heavily moderate and attempt to keep up the quality of discussion on the board during that time.  There will also be an influx of guest views during that time and it would be wise to give the impression that the board isn't a hangout for the mentally retarded. 

Too late!! Tongue

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 03:11:13 pm »
Ignore

Meeker, you forgot a fourth, and incomparably more stupid, type.

"What if Obama drops Biden and picks XXX?"

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 06:15:43 pm »
Ignore

Meeker, there is, of course, the fourth type of thread, which you failed to mention.

The let's bash Romney again thread, which includes troll posts asking stupid questions and making stupid statements about the next President of the United States, Mitt Romney.

Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:26:03 pm by Mitt Romney, Economic Heavyweight »Logged

July 2 , 2014

President Obama has topped predecessor George W. Bush in another poll, but not one he would like.

In a new Quinnipiac University Poll, 33% named Obama the worst president since World War II, and 28% put Bush at the bottom of post-war presidents.

OBAMA WORSE THAN DUBYA!  WHO KNEW?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »
Ignore

Hey everyone, who do you think will make the best VP for Romney?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Cheesy

July 2 , 2014

President Obama has topped predecessor George W. Bush in another poll, but not one he would like.

In a new Quinnipiac University Poll, 33% named Obama the worst president since World War II, and 28% put Bush at the bottom of post-war presidents.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 07:20:05 pm »
Ignore

Meeker, there is, of course, the fourth type of thread, which you failed to mention.

The let's bash Romney again thread, which includes troll posts asking stupid questions and making stupid statements about the next President of the United States, Mitt Romney.

Cheesy

I can see Romney's road to the White House being:
2008: Run for President, lose in primaries.
2012: Run for President, lose in November despite winning the PV.
2013-2015: The Restore Mitt's Future PAC spends millions pushing states to sign on to the NPVIC.
2016: Run for President, and this time win the PV and not need the EV.

It's not a likel roady, but it is far more likely than Romney winning without a crisis between now and Novermebt.

My November ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
Yes: Amendment 1 (Gen. Assembly may allow and regulate charity raffles)
No: Amendment 2 (end election of the Adjutant General)
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 07:28:59 pm »
Ignore

Cheesy

I can see Romney's road to the White House being:
2008: Run for President, lose in primaries.
2012: Run for President, lose in November despite winning the PV.
2013-2015: The Restore Mitt's Future PAC spends millions pushing states to sign on to the NPVIC.
2016: Run for President, and this time win the PV and not need the EV.

It's not a likel roady, but it is far more likely than Romney winning without a crisis between now and Novermebt.

You think the electoral college screws Mittens that bad eh?  Why?  I don't quite see that myself, particularly given that NH is out there.
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 07:49:59 pm »
Ignore

I think we are on the verge of moving into general election mode.  This board should stay up.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 08:01:42 pm »
Ignore

I think we are on the verge of moving into general election mode.  This board should stay up.

I would argue we're in GE mode, already, despite having 4 big states left to have their voice (PA, NY, TX, CA).

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 08:13:01 pm »
Ignore

You think the electoral college screws Mittens that bad eh?  Why?  I don't quite see that myself, particularly given that NH is out there.

A simple uniform swing from 2008 to a PV tie still leaves Obama with a healthy 303-235 victory.

Even if Mittens picks up not just the three states he gains from a uniform swing (NC, IN, FL), but also Nevada, Iowa, and New Hampshire, he still loses 287-251.

(The polling from Iowa indicates it is likely to trend considerably more Republican than the national swing, and Nevada and New Hampshire are the states people like to tout a "home state" effect for Mitt, but I don't see it being enough on its own to swing Nevada, and post-primary polls have shown New Hampshire as no longer having the huge Republican trend they did pre-primary, but for purposes of argument I'll concede that Romney might be able to improve there by November more than he does nationally.)

Romney will need at least Ohio and probably both Ohio and Virginia to win and I can easily see Romney having a narrow national PV win and losing one or both of them.  If Romney can get to 51-48 his EV weakness might not cost him, but at 50-49, I think it will.

While there won't be a uniform swing, for Romney to not lose the EV in a close PV contest requires an awful lot of the states that trend Republican by more than the national swing be the tossup states and that would be a bit of astounding luck on Romney's part.

My November ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
Yes: Amendment 1 (Gen. Assembly may allow and regulate charity raffles)
No: Amendment 2 (end election of the Adjutant General)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 10:21:59 pm »
Ignore

But doesn't everybody want 3 solid months of Romney VP speculation?  Cheesy

July 2 , 2014

Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 10:26:04 pm »
Ignore

But doesn't everybody want 3 solid months of Romney VP speculation?  Cheesy

I'm not sure about everybody wanting 3 months of veepstakes, but I think we're going to get it whether we like it or not.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 03:34:45 pm »
Ignore

A simple uniform swing from 2008 to a PV tie still leaves Obama with a healthy 303-235 victory.

Even if Mittens picks up not just the three states he gains from a uniform swing (NC, IN, FL), but also Nevada, Iowa, and New Hampshire, he still loses 287-251.

(The polling from Iowa indicates it is likely to trend considerably more Republican than the national swing, and Nevada and New Hampshire are the states people like to tout a "home state" effect for Mitt, but I don't see it being enough on its own to swing Nevada, and post-primary polls have shown New Hampshire as no longer having the huge Republican trend they did pre-primary, but for purposes of argument I'll concede that Romney might be able to improve there by November more than he does nationally.)

Romney will need at least Ohio and probably both Ohio and Virginia to win and I can easily see Romney having a narrow national PV win and losing one or both of them.  If Romney can get to 51-48 his EV weakness might not cost him, but at 50-49, I think it will.

While there won't be a uniform swing, for Romney to not lose the EV in a close PV contest requires an awful lot of the states that trend Republican by more than the national swing be the tossup states and that would be a bit of astounding luck on Romney's part.

Romney picks up Ohio from a uniform swing to an even PV - easily. He gets all he needs from a uniform swing (including VA which is about 0.5% on the GOP side of the ledger), except for NH. NH is the key.
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 04:19:54 pm »
Ignore

It's just a good thing Morden is a mod, I remember him being one of the most irritated people at stupid speculation in 2008.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 04:57:09 pm »
Ignore

Hey everyone, who do you think will make the best VP for Romney?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Cheesy

Your mom.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout