Realignment? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:04:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Realignment? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is the most likely theory?
Economics taking centre stage

Country moving to the left

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Realignment?  (Read 6998 times)
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« on: May 07, 2012, 11:03:19 AM »

Scenario A (what, as an economic liberal, I prefer) would eventually lead to something like this:

Scenario B (culture war elections bore me):

Green = obvious strong DEM until state financial crisis event becomes a powerful wild card.
Pink = easiest GOP pick-offs
Light red = possible shift to swing

*The “south” tends to break up into 3 regions I like to call  Deep South, Tidewater, and Greater-Appalachia. 
Democrats will generally need to break one off to win the presidency.
So, we will see new versions of Clinton, Edwards, and Carter respectively and correspondingly.

We are trending toward this.  How long it will take to get there or how long the trend will last, I don't know, things change, but this is the current direction. 

AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:38:34 PM »

What is said above is correct, however, I would point out that due to their hispanic populations, Nevada, New Mexico and to a lesser extent Colorado are pretty much lean D states. Demographic changes are changing regional affiliation, as the south-west becomes Democratic, whilst whites becoming more solidly Republican has largely killed of Democratic hopes in Appalachia.
...wouldn't "whites becoming more solidly Republican" also realign the Midwest - 'rust belt' to some extent? 

Iowa and Wisconsin flip from lean D to lean R.  PA, MI, and possibly MN get close to being tossups.  OH gets more R. 

Cultural differences between Greater Appalachians and Midwestern Yankee's are huge, but 'Midlanders' are in between the two.  Not surprisingly, the least Yankee states and most Midlander /+ Appalachian are most R right now (IN, OH, IA, WI).             
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies