Welfare Limits Left Poor Adrift as Recession Hit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:15:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Welfare Limits Left Poor Adrift as Recession Hit
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Welfare Limits Left Poor Adrift as Recession Hit  (Read 976 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »
« edited: April 07, 2012, 09:47:36 PM by greenforest32 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/us/welfare-limits-left-poor-adrift-as-recession-hit.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/14/1074416/-Age-16-welfare-reform-showing-that-critics-were-right-The-poor-children-included-are-being-hurt

Sweet, let's send all federal programs back to the states to shrink big, wasteful government and let the states find "innovative solutions" to drop coverage which won't be a problem as private charity will cover the demand Cheesy
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 03:28:58 AM »

Welfare reform is one of the most disgustingly reactionary laws ever passed in the USA. This, among other things, is why I don't get how so many democrats can like Clinton.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 08:52:14 AM »

We've shifted welfare from direct programs into the tax code.  It's still around. It's just less visible and less targeted toward the people who actually need it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:17:07 AM »

If there were an abundance of high paying jobs, programs like this wouldn't be necessary. In the late 1990s that's what we had, and it made welfare reform seem like a bigger success than it actually was.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »

The lack of outspoken support I've witnessed from Democrats in recent years for transitioning from a liberal to social democratic welfare regime, or at least overhauling the current arrangement, has contributed significantly to my slow drift away from the party. The basic needs of people to pursue healthy, fulfilling lives ought to be the birthright of all - not an entitlement reserved only for people fortunate enough to already possess an abundance of capital, or who can eek by on meager state benefits secured by abiding to a variety of time limits and prerequisites attached. It's a real shame.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »

If there were an abundance of high paying jobs, programs like this wouldn't be necessary. In the late 1990s that's what we had, and it made welfare reform seem like a bigger success than it actually was.

There was an abundance of jobs then, but not high-paying ones.  Certainly anyone who had been on welfare was unlike to get anything other than a subsistence-pay level job even at the height of the boom.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »

From the article one would expect a drop after the recession hit. The graph doesn't show that.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2012, 10:10:17 PM by J. J. »

From the article one would expect a drop after the recession hit. The graph doesn't show that.

There is another problem.  Poverty level is not the eligibility level.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 09:05:36 PM »

Welfare reform is one of the most disgustingly reactionary laws ever passed in the USA. This, among other things, is why I don't get how so many democrats can like Clinton.

The lack of outspoken support I've witnessed from Democrats in recent years for transitioning from a liberal to social democratic welfare regime, or at least overhauling the current arrangement, has contributed significantly to my slow drift away from the party. The basic needs of people to pursue healthy, fulfilling lives ought to be the birthright of all - not an entitlement reserved only for people fortunate enough to already possess an abundance of capital, or who can eek by on meager state benefits secured by abiding to a variety of time limits and prerequisites attached. It's a real shame.

I agree with these sentiments. The welfare program is so pathetic and you aren't even eligible for it if you don't have kids. I was especially disappointed with our Governor recently on this issue: http://www.stateline.org/live/printable/story?contentId=583490

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies