Iowa-style Redistricting II: New England Towns (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:39:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Iowa-style Redistricting II: New England Towns (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iowa-style Redistricting II: New England Towns  (Read 3955 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 08, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »

Here's my attempt at Maine.  I've never been there, so I'm not sure how much sense this makes.  I wanted to put the entire coastline in one district which I accomplished.  The two districts are separated by I-95 and then by Airline Road, though there is some overlap.

ME-01
VAP is 95.2% white.
60.8% voted for Obama in 2008.

ME-02
VAP is 96% white.
54.3% voted for Obama in 2008.

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »

Here's my attempt at Maine.  I've never been there, so I'm not sure how much sense this makes.  I wanted to put the entire coastline in one district which I accomplished.  The two districts are separated by I-95 and then by Airline Road, though there is some overlap.

ME-01
VAP is 95.2% white.
60.8% voted for Obama in 2008.

ME-02
VAP is 96% white.
54.3% voted for Obama in 2008.

What is the deviation for the districts? With the large number of towns, the model I have from the whole county states would predict that it should be possible to draw one district exact and the other off by one person (ME has an odd number population). The statement about exact equality should apply to NH as well.
I believe +/-2000.  Not great, but I was rushed.

Here's my attempt at Maine.  I've never been there, so I'm not sure how much sense this makes.  I wanted to put the entire coastline in one district which I accomplished.
I... I don't think that makes as much sense as, say, the current districts.
Probably not from a community-of-interest standpoint (again, I know nothing about Maine) but it's more pleasing to my eye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies