Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 05:26:48 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  How did specific Protestant denominations vote in 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How did specific Protestant denominations vote in 2008?  (Read 1155 times)
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:08:22 pm »
Ignore

I've been this chart before:

Does anyone have data on how specific Protestant denominations voted in 2008?  I curious which (if any) major Protestant groups went for Obama, and by how much.
Del Tachi
Republican95
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:05:55 pm »
Ignore

I sure that the A.M.E. crowd went for Obama by overwhelming margins.

Passing Through a Screen Door
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:33:22 pm »
Ignore

It's tough to gauge ELCA nationwide, but it was clearly for Obama in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Victory over Inks dedicated in memory.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:08:45 pm »
Ignore

How about Adventists?  I'm an Adventist and I'd like to know on that one, especially because President Obama ridiculed the notion of eating shellfish being an abomination based on what is said in the book of Leviticus.  I'd also like to know how they voted relative to other conservative Protestants in 1928 and 1960 (when Al Smith and JFK, both Catholics, were nominated and global Sunday laws, etc.)

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:28:53 pm »
Ignore

I think ARDA has some more detailed info on individual denominations, including Adventists, and will see if I can look that up. It's worth noting that Adventists are disproportionately black and Hispanic so they might be a lot more Democratic than one would expect, I believe the two counties in the US with the highest proportion of Adventists are one in Eastern Washington with an Adventist university and Prince George's, Maryland.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Lettuce Gay Bacon and Tomato
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »
Ignore

Wasn't Kerry a Catholic or somewhat connected to Catholicism? If so, why did he lose the Catholic vote?

Convincing BRTD to drop the Sneakers O'Toole BS is like convincing Sneakers O'Toole to take his sneakers off.

(I realize I'm probably just further encouraging him by saying that, and for this I apologize.)
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 09:46:21 pm »
Ignore

Wasn't Kerry a Catholic or somewhat connected to Catholicism? If so, why did he lose the Catholic vote?

Because Catholics are not, and never have been a unified voting bloc and next to none will vote for someone just because they're Catholic (the only few I could see caring about that are the radically conservative fringe who wouldn't vote for a liberal pro-choice Democrat.) Catholicism is now entirely neutral in regards to electoral politics, the number of people who will vote for or against someone just for being Catholic is essentially negligible.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 11:06:33 am »
Ignore

I think ARDA has some more detailed info on individual denominations, including Adventists, and will see if I can look that up. It's worth noting that Adventists are disproportionately black and Hispanic so they might be a lot more Democratic than one would expect, I believe the two counties in the US with the highest proportion of Adventists are one in Eastern Washington with an Adventist university and Prince George's, Maryland.
Eastern Washington has Walla Walla University, I know, and I realize that Adventists are a lot more black and Latino than many other denominations, but most of the people in my church are pretty socially conservative, so just having a lot of blacks and Latinos who care enough about those issues may not necessarily mean strong Democratic support (although they still tend to be more Democrat as a whole.)  Eastern Washington seems to be mostly Republican from what I've seen.  Also, Berrien Couny in my home state of Michgan, is mostly Republican, although Presodent Obama carried it in 2008.  (He got about 80-90% of the vote in Benton Harbor.)  Prince George's County is very strongly Dem, but it's next door to Washington, DC, and that's to be expected; the SDA global headquarters is located there. I don't know much about the area around Loma Linda, either.  I'm white, so I can't really tell you any of this for sure, but this is based om what I as an Adventist and a political junkie have observed.  It is worth noting, however, that Adventists tended to lean Republican for many years because of the Republican Party's history of fighting to end slavery and support for many social reforms like Prohibition.  (Of course, they never would have supported banning commerce on Sunday, as this would have been seen as a fulfillment of prophecy in Revelation 13.)  I'm first and foremost a Christian, not an Adventist, and, unlike some factions in my denomination, I don't believe Sunday worship is the Mark of the Beast, bu I would think there would have been a backlash against Al Smith and JFK (and possibly John Kerry, though anti-Catholicism wasn't as strong by then as it was in 1928 or 1960) because of that.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:09:52 am by Oldiesfreak1854 »Logged

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 07:54:37 pm »
Ignore

Because Catholics are not, and never have been a unified voting bloc and next to none will vote for someone just because they're Catholic (the only few I could see caring about that are the radically conservative fringe who wouldn't vote for a liberal pro-choice Democrat.) Catholicism is now entirely neutral in regards to electoral politics, the number of people who will vote for or against someone just for being Catholic is essentially negligible.

True, but Kerry losing Catholics prob. had more to do with 9-11 voters in the Northeast Corridor who are disproportionally Catholic.

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 07:58:40 pm »
Ignore

Somewhat surprising that white mainline Protestants voted 55-44 for McCain (would have expected them to be more Democratic). I wonder what the state map for that would look like? It would also be interesting seeing a white Protestant vs. white Catholic map.

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 08:04:59 pm »
Ignore

Somewhat surprising that white mainline Protestants voted 55-44 for McCain (would have expected them to be more Democratic). I wonder what the state map for that would look like? It would also be interesting seeing a white Protestant vs. white Catholic map.

That's largely because of Southerners. They're not all evangelical.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
JCL and the Geologist
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 02:35:11 am »
Ignore

I wouldn't be surprised if McCain won the Assemblies of God (because of Palin) 

Congressional Races
Jackie Walorski (R/IN-2)
Marlin Stutzman (R/IN-3)
Todd Rokita (R/IN-4)
Chard Reid (Lib/IN-5)
Luke Messer (R/IN-6)
Carlos May (R/IN-7)
Larry Bucshon (R/IN-8)
Todd Young (R/IN-9)
Tom Massie (R/KY-4)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 09:34:46 am »
Ignore

I'm going on a lam and say the UMC and SBC voted for McCain in large numbers. Perhaps 75%-90%.

"Weezy F Baby and the F is for Phenomenal" - Lil' Wayne

"Look at this photograph/Every time I do it makes me laugh/How did our eyes get so red?/And what the hell is on Joey's head?" - Nickelback
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 08:22:26 pm »
Ignore

I'm going on a lam and say the UMC and SBC voted for McCain in large numbers. Perhaps 75%-90%.

United Methodist? I think they have a large black membership and are often pretty progressive outside the south. I highly doubt they were around 75% McCain.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 11:05:57 am »
Ignore

I'd be hugely surprised if McCain didn't win the Assemblies of God, for reasons to which Palin's presence or absence is irrelevant.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 11:21:33 am »
Ignore

I'd be hugely surprised if McCain didn't win the Assemblies of God, for reasons to which Palin's presence or absence is irrelevant.

Yeah that's like saying Obama won the black vote because he's black.

I'm actually quite curious in how the Vineyard voted, due to the extreme polarization in Vineyard churches. You probably have some that were >80% Obama compared to some that were >80% McCain.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout