Question for UK posters-who's your average voter by party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:09:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Question for UK posters-who's your average voter by party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for UK posters-who's your average voter by party?  (Read 2807 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:31:56 AM »
« edited: April 09, 2012, 09:03:20 PM by Kevin »

I know pretty well what the average Republican or Democrat is in the US. But in the UK who is your average Conservative, Labour, or Lib Dem supporter?

I ask because amongst the Conservatives their average base voter in many ways seems like certain sections of the Republican party in the US in many ways. For instance, your average Tory I've read and heard is likely to be a middle aged to older white male, upper-middle class, live in a market town or area like Surrey, Hampshire, or Southern England in general. And are likely to to have all around conservative views and traditional attitudes. I.e hates the EU, doesn't like many aspects that come with the welfare state(with the possible exception of the NHS), and not entirely crazy about immigration.

However, I've found it very hard to pin who your average Labour or Liberal Democrat is. Esp. considering that Labour seems to be undergoing a demographic transition to the best of my understanding since I've heard their historical white working class base is leaving the party but not gravitating towards anyone. While the Liberal Democrat's seem really hard to pin down except that their support seems to be amongst those who are like academics, urban professionals etc. Although they seem to be kind of a catch all party since their views and brand seem to differ by region.

Am I right in this assessment or not? If not what is the profile of your typical Tory, Lab, and Lib Dem?    
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:33:07 AM »

The One True And Accurate Guide To British Political Parties:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I should probably update it for the Coalition Age (in which We Are All In It Together: But Some Of Us Are More In It Than Others), but it's still fundamentally accurate.

On a slightly more serious note, the most important thing to remember about British politics is that (outside Scotland especially) the underlying patterns haven't altered all that much (and certainly less than in normal countries) for a very long time.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:21:52 AM »

One question that i'm gonna stuggle to answer until we get to 2015 is who still is a Liberal Democrat voter?

It was always students, West Country-ers and yes, academics and urban professionals. (Basically, (except for the West Country) people who were left-wing, but didn't wish to be seen as voting for a 'workers' party)

Who are the remaining 10% who're voting Liberal?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »

One question that i'm gonna stuggle to answer until we get to 2015 is who still is a Liberal Democrat voter?

It was always students, West Country-ers and yes, academics and urban professionals. (Basically, (except for the West Country) people who were left-wing, but didn't wish to be seen as voting for a 'workers' party)

The LDs are still polling at 10% ? Wow.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »

Well, it's hit-and-miss really...
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »

Here's a map I found of '79, which is the last time the Libs were in the low teens.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »

Well, it's hit-and-miss really...
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention

Considering their great job as junior coalition partners, I'm surprised they aren't at FDP levels.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 01:25:16 PM »

Anyone have any idea what fool coloured that map in?

Anyways, people should remember that 'even' 10% would still be a loss of a majority of support from 2010...

Academics? Not especially.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »

Anyone have any idea what fool coloured that map in?

Let's just hope he never shows his face here. Angry Else I may have to shoot him over how he wears his bowler hat.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 05:28:24 AM »

In the age of New Labour I very much doubt any left-winger was voting Liberal because Labour were seen as the workers party.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »

In the age of New Labour I very much doubt any left-winger was voting Liberal because Labour were seen as the workers party.

1997-2007, sure.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »

I'd contest that it applied for '92 or '10, either.

I think much of your analysis isn't far off Kevin. If we're dealing with generalities, I think WWC do still lean to Labour moreso than any other party, but they can't be relied on to vote like in the past. I'd add to your Conservative list pro-marketers. Also, whilst the Liberal vote in recent decades started to take segments of the electorate normally aligned to Labour voters (students, social liberals, anti-war etc), you did have the regional variation in which they'd play up their left-wing credentials in Con seats and right-wing in Lab seats (such are the benefits of being an awkward merger between social liberals and classical liberals), nearly all of that has gone out of the window now, and the Liberal vote today looks to be mainly the classical liberals I mentioned earlier as well as a minority of social liberals who are reluctant to give up their party/jump to an unreconstucted authoritarian Labour party.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 06:15:57 PM »

I know pretty well what the average Republican or Democrat is in the US. But in the UK who is your average Conservative, Labour, or Lib Dem supporter?

I ask because amongst the Conservatives their average base voter in many ways seems like certain sections of the Republican party in the US n many ways. For instance, your average Tory I've read and heard is likely to be a middle aged to older white male, upper-middle class, live in a market town or area like Surrey, Hampshire, or Southern England in general. And are likely to to have all around conservative views and traditional attitudes. I.e hates the EU, doesn't like many aspects that come with the welfare state(with the possible exception of the NHS), and not entirely crazy about immigration.

However, I've found it very hard to pin who your average Labour or Liberal Democrat is. Esp. considering that Labour seems to be undergoing a demographic transition to the best of my understanding since I've heard their historical white working class base is leaving the party but not gravitating towards anyone. While the Liberal Democrat's seem really hard to pin down except that their support seems to be amongst those who are like academics, urban professionals etc. Although they seem to be kind of a catch all party since their views and brand seem to differ by region.

Am I right in this assessment or not? If not what is the profile of your typical Tory, Lab, and Lib Dem?    

While not a UK-ite Tongue I think you're looking at the Conservatives through GOP lenses. Sure there are definitely very conservative members, but you'll find the dividing line is far more murky. Very few UK Conservatives would feel terribly comfortable being members of the GOP, especially during this season.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 07:55:49 AM »

Who is the average Plaid Cymru voter? (apart from being Welsh of course)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 04:16:45 AM »

Either a rural Cymrophone Nonconformist, or a Labour supporter from a mining valley casting a protest vote against his party, or a middle class person from a polity dominated by Labour mining valleys casting a tactical vote.
In order of magnitude.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 05:58:01 AM »

Either a rural Cymrophone Nonconformist, or a Labour supporter from a mining valley casting a protest vote against his party, or a middle class person from a polity dominated by Labour mining valleys casting a tactical vote.
In order of magnitude.

The average Plaid Cymru voter sounds rather schizophrenic if he/she is all those things in order of magnitude.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 06:01:26 AM »

In order of magnitude.

The average Plaid Cymru voter sounds rather schizophrenic if he/she is all those things in order of magnitude.
"Average" persons always do unless you're taking the average of a creepily uniform group.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »

In order of magnitude.

Or a middle class Welsh Speaker, especially in Gwynedd.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 12:00:51 PM »

In order of magnitude.

Those people are Nonconformists.
And, when viewed from the metropoles, rural even if they live in Bangor or Caernarfon.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 12:01:44 PM »

In order of magnitude.

Those people are Nonconformists.
And, when viewed from the metropoles, rural even if they live in Bangor or Caernarfon.

Grin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies