Question for UK posters-who's your average voter by party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:01:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Question for UK posters-who's your average voter by party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for UK posters-who's your average voter by party?  (Read 2848 times)
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: April 09, 2012, 05:28:24 AM »

One question that i'm gonna stuggle to answer until we get to 2015 is who still is a Liberal Democrat voter?

It was always students, West Country-ers and yes, academics and urban professionals. (Basically, (except for the West Country) people who were left-wing, but didn't wish to be seen as voting for a 'workers' party)

Who are the remaining 10% who're voting Liberal?

In the age of New Labour I very much doubt any left-winger was voting Liberal because Labour were seen as the workers party.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »

I'd contest that it applied for '92 or '10, either.

I think much of your analysis isn't far off Kevin. If we're dealing with generalities, I think WWC do still lean to Labour moreso than any other party, but they can't be relied on to vote like in the past. I'd add to your Conservative list pro-marketers. Also, whilst the Liberal vote in recent decades started to take segments of the electorate normally aligned to Labour voters (students, social liberals, anti-war etc), you did have the regional variation in which they'd play up their left-wing credentials in Con seats and right-wing in Lab seats (such are the benefits of being an awkward merger between social liberals and classical liberals), nearly all of that has gone out of the window now, and the Liberal vote today looks to be mainly the classical liberals I mentioned earlier as well as a minority of social liberals who are reluctant to give up their party/jump to an unreconstucted authoritarian Labour party.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies