Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 10:41:50 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Worst possible VP for Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Worst possible VP for Romney  (Read 1613 times)
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:49:58 pm »
Ignore

Unlike me some of you seem to think that the VP choice matters a great deal, so out of curiosity which Republican governor or senator would be the worst possible VP choice for Romney? Would there be a candidate, that could cost him 10%?

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:53:43 pm »
Ignore

Olympia Snowe or Mary Fallin.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:00:32 pm »
Ignore

Rick Perry comes to mind.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:06:40 pm »
Ignore

This guy.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 03:13:47 pm »
Ignore

Unlike me some of you seem to think that the VP choice matters a great deal, so out of curiosity which Republican governor or senator would be the worst possible VP choice for Romney? Would there be a candidate, that could cost him 10%?
Among governors or senators? Probably not. Tom Coburn or Rand Paul might come close.

Basically a VP pick is irrelevant unless it makes some people question the candidate's sanity and good judgment (not counting partisans of the other side that were already convinced that such sanity was questionable, obviously). Eagleton being the textbook example, though other picks - Dan Quayle! - have had much more minor but effectively similar effects.
Even then, much depends on the media response. I mean, Republicans got away with picking Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin recently with no ill effects.
I don't think you can win votes with a VP pick, though there will be  hacks that do think so.

Thankfully West is neither a Governor nor a Senator. And as to the literal "Worst Possible VP for Romney"... I think a random 35-year old Black homeless person with mental problems and a few felony convictions would be an even worse pick than West. Grin

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 03:15:07 pm »
Ignore

I think a random 35-year old Black homeless person with mental problems and a few felony convictions would be an even worse pick than West. Grin

Yeah, the multiple felonies would really hurt him in comparison to West.

Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 04:05:21 pm »
Ignore

Joe Walsh

Princess Kenny
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 04:21:35 pm »
Ignore

Former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts.

NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 05:12:07 pm »
Ignore

What a turnaround too. Last year he ruled out being a Presidential candidate or a VP choice.

Bernie would probably win Vermont if Obama were deemed to have more than 272 evs in the vag.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
YaBB God
Spain

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 05:23:57 pm »
Ignore

Rick Perry, Sarah Palin, Mary Falin, Paul LePage.

My evolution (by The Political Matrix):
E: -6.06 -> -6.97 -> -6.97 -> -8.13 -> -7.29 -> -8.26 -> -8.65 -> -7.03
S: -6.78 -> -6.09 -> -7.30 -> -7.13 -> -8.09 -> -8.35 -> -9.04 -> -8.61
redcommander
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 05:25:28 pm »
Ignore

What's wrong with Fallin? She's conservative, could help solidify the South's support for Romney, and has more than enough experience for VP.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 05:27:04 pm »
Ignore

What's wrong with Fallin? She's conservative, could help solidify the South's support for Romney, and has more than enough experience for VP.
Guess its the infidelity allegations about her and the state trooper - her own little "troopergate".

Joe Walsh
Only a Congressman, so he doesn't count. But the guy does sound horrible - both his political views and personal life.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:30:10 pm by politicus »Logged

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
redcommander
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 05:36:41 pm »
Ignore

Guess its the infidelity allegations about her and the state trooper - her own little "troopergate".

Joe Walsh
Only a Congressman, so he doesn't count. But the guy does sound horrible - both his political views and personal life.

That hasn't stopped Nikki Haley or Sarah Palin from still being talked about as presidential material.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 06:07:39 pm »
Ignore

Among governors or senators? Probably not. Tom Coburn or Rand Paul might come close.

Either of those probably would help him with as many people as they'd hurt.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 06:16:46 pm »
Ignore

Joe Walsh

That hasn't stopped Nikki Haley or Sarah Palin from still being talked about as presidential material.

The Haley rumors are just that, rumors.  Practically no one believes them, and those who do are probably like the birthers convinced that Obama's a Muslim, people who hate her so much that even if something bad isn't true, they think it should be.

Not that I think Haley would help the GOP ticket more than an average VP choice would help, but she wouldn't be a disaster of a pick.  (Sticking up for Haley is a weird feeling, so please people, stop mentioning her in the veepstakes.)

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
YaBB God
Spain

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 06:24:44 pm »
Ignore

Joe Walsh

Yes, that hasn't stopped them as (unelectable) presidential material.
Falin is a hack. too. And from a state that Obama would lose even against David Duke (and by a huge margin).

Romney doesn't need to solidify the South to win the election (McCain won there and remember how it worked). He has to appeal to voters in NV, OH, NH, PA and FL to win.

My evolution (by The Political Matrix):
E: -6.06 -> -6.97 -> -6.97 -> -8.13 -> -7.29 -> -8.26 -> -8.65 -> -7.03
S: -6.78 -> -6.09 -> -7.30 -> -7.13 -> -8.09 -> -8.35 -> -9.04 -> -8.61
○∙◄☻•tπ[╪AV┼cVÍ└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 06:28:01 pm »
Ignore

Are former ones allowed? Governors Palin, Schwarzenegger, or Taft would all be awful picks.
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 06:28:31 pm »
Ignore

Sarah Palin, Paul Ryan or Rick Scott

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 06:33:25 pm »
Ignore

Thankfully West is neither a Governor nor a Senator. And as to the literal "Worst Possible VP for Romney"... I think a random 35-year old Black homeless person with mental problems and a few felony convictions would be an even worse pick than West. Grin

OP was TLDR. But among sitting governors and senators, it would be hard to do worse than David Vitter.

Princess Kenny
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 06:52:45 pm »
Ignore

Are former ones allowed? Governors Palin, Schwarzenegger, or Taft would all be awful picks.

Constitutionally ineligible to run for Vice Presidency.

Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 07:01:30 pm »
Ignore

Michelle Bachmann or Tom Tanacredo

A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 07:11:17 pm »
Ignore

John Ensign.

redcommander
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 07:22:45 pm »
Ignore

Joe Walsh

Yes, that hasn't stopped them as (unelectable) presidential material.
Falin is a hack. too. And from a state that Obama would lose even against David Duke (and by a huge margin).

Romney doesn't need to solidify the South to win the election (McCain won there and remember how it worked). He has to appeal to voters in NV, OH, NH, PA and FL to win.

I wouldn't call her a hack, but I'm just saying that "alleged" infidelity doesn't disqualify someone. Fallin never had proof against her that she was in an affair, just like the accusations against Haley and Palin weren't supported with evidence either.
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 07:30:21 pm »
Ignore

Newt Gingrich, of the major candidates.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
cavalcade
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 07:40:31 pm »
Ignore

Current Govs/Senators?  Jan Brewer and David Vitter come to mind.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout