Opinion of the churches of Christ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:53:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of the churches of Christ
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of the churches of Christ?
Freedom Churches
Horrible Churches
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Opinion of the churches of Christ  (Read 4534 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:26:15 PM »

For those of you who don't know, the churches of Christ are autonomous, Protestant congregations throughout the world (but most common in North America) united through common beliefs and practices.  They are congregational in structure, and every congregational is led by and independently elected all-male eldership.  They seek to base practice and doctrine on the Bible alone, and see themselves as the modern-day equivalent to the First Century churches established by Christ.

The churches of Christ are a product of the Stone-Campell and Restoration movements and first became prevalent on the American frontier during the early 19th Century. These churches comprise about 5,062,074 members in over 40,000 individual congregations worldwide. There are approximately 13,000 congregations in the United States. Overall U.S. membership was approximately 1.8 million in 2001 and 1.9 million in 2008. Estimates of the proportion of the US adult population associated with the Churches of Christ vary from 0.8% to 1.5%.  In terms of adherents, it is twelfth largest Christian group in the United States and the fourth largest in terms of number of congregations.  Members of the churches of Christ are likely to refer to themselves simply as "Christians" or "members of the Church".   

Core tenets of church of Christ doctrine, as based on the Bible, include Baptismal regeneration, the importance of God's grace in salvation, the Bible as the unfiltered word of God, and the independence of the local congregation.  The churches of Christ are also notable for their lack of instrumental music in worship and their taking of the Lord's Supper, or communion, every Sunday. 

Please note, that the church of Christ is not the Disciples of Christ (Christian Church), the International Council of Churches of Christ, or the United Churches of Christ (UCC). 

For more information see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Christ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_Movement    
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:56:22 PM »

Horrible Churches for their view that it's wrong to use musical instruments in church and full immersion baptism is essential for salvation (I say this as someone who was baptized by full immersion two months ago of my own choice despite being baptized as a baby.)

I do like the Disciples though, I think I might be closer to them theologically more than any other denomination, except for my weird charismatic tendencies.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »

Horrible Churches for their view that it's wrong to use musical instruments in church and full immersion baptism is essential for salvation (I say this as someone who was baptized by full immersion two months ago of my own choice despite being baptized as a baby.)

I do like the Disciples though, I think I might be closer to them theologically more than any other denomination, except for my weird charismatic tendencies.

The New Testament never contains a reference to musical instruments being used in the early church and the use of musical instruments in religious services was uncommon in the United States until the early 20th Century. 
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »

The New Testament never contains a reference to musical instruments being used in the early church and the use of musical instruments in religious services was uncommon in the United States until the early 20th Century. 

So?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »

Yeah the Bible doesn't mention Powerpoint or church web sites either.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:11:03 PM »

In the early church era, Christians still worshiped with Jews with the addition of communal suppers for the Communion.  While you don't generally play music while you eat, the Old Testament has plenty of examples of the Jews using musical instruments in their worship.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:30:35 PM »

Although he does make a valid counter-point against some people like really traditionalist Catholics and some very "high church" Protestants who basically think anything other than a piano or organ is inappropriate and no modern instruments should ever be in church. There's no biblical basis for such a position. I suspect Nathan might sympathize with it but for different reasons.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »

Correct! That's my position for reasons of maintaining a certain aesthetic to the liturgy, though I'm by no means opposed to other acoustic instruments as long as they don't become the primary means of musical expression in a church, which I think should remain the traditionally ecclesiastical keyboard instruments. Clearly there's no Biblical reason why this should be so, why an organ should be appropriate and a two-necked axe with a ton of reverb not, but that is the way the culture of Western Christianity has developed.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 09:42:57 PM »

Not all of them are Acapella Churches of Christ.

This is the denomination I've always attended.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »

Not all of them are Acapella Churches of Christ.

This is the denomination I've always attended.

This? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Christ_in_Australia
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 09:49:32 PM »

In all seriousness, this doesn't seem theologically any worse than snake-belly-Low, charismatic literalist Protestantism usually is, but that is a branch of Christianity that I do not like very much anyway (though I can respect it).
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2012, 09:57:07 PM by Smid »

Yes, that's the one.

Edit: As in, the non-acapella ones, although I've met some people from one of the acapella ones. Indeed, I used to be in the church band a few years back.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 09:51:56 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2012, 09:54:10 PM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

In all seriousness, this doesn't seem theologically any worse than snake-belly-Low, charismatic literalist Protestantism usually is, but that is a branch of Christianity that I do not like very much anyway (though I can respect it).

The difference I think is that is a bit less theologically rigid, since after all that's the tradition my church comes from. Plus believe it or not they are even gay Pentecostal churches. But of course the more liberal strains admittedly are a very recent development.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 11:30:24 PM »

We had some of these kids at my high school. I remember two girls in particular because they were not allowed to use profanity, which we all thought was a bit silly. I remember one of the girls was reading her copy of an assigned novel from English class, and she would white out the words she found inappropriate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 11:55:43 PM »

We had some of these kids at my high school. I remember two girls in particular because they were not allowed to use profanity, which we all thought was a bit silly. I remember one of the girls was reading her copy of an assigned novel from English class, and she would white out the words she found inappropriate.

Haha, what? Wow. I hear people say "f**k" and "sh!t" at church events all the time.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:22:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure my cousin is a preacher at one....well, I know he is a preacher (in the church he grew up in, which sounds really weird to me, but that's his deal), but I'm not 100% sure they are a Church of Christ.....stand by.....nevermind, it's a Community Christian Church...whatever the hell that is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 12:30:44 AM »

Non-denominational?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 12:40:12 AM »

That's what the internet is telling me.  I went to a few services there, they seemed like slightly more laid back S.Baptist's to me....but I was just a dumb kid and didn't get into any deep theological discussions with anybody(not like I'd get into any deep theological discussions now as dumb adult, but you know what I mean).  I'm pretty sure they believed in the V.birth, raised from the dead, will come back..ya know, the "important stuff".  Not sure about the "literal translation" part, but I'd lean towards yes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 01:04:29 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2012, 01:06:37 AM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

So laid back like the type of church I'd go to? Like he preaches in jeans and in a very down to earth and non-aloof style? And yes almost everyone there would believe in the virgin birth and Jesus raising from the dead, and that's probably true even at Nathan's. The difference between both and the Southern Baptists would be over people believing the Earth was created in seven literal days 6000 years ago and if the vast majority of the world's population goes to hell, and I doubt the Southern Baptists ever give sermons about how God first revealed the birth of Jesus to people from "the 99%" (direct quote) instead of the rich elites and nobles that could've got it more attention.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 01:36:56 AM »

So laid back like the type of church I'd go to? Like he preaches in jeans and in a very down to earth and non-aloof style?
Not that laid back and maybe on Wednesday nights he might wear jeans, I have no clue.
I'm sure a lot of S.Baptists buy into that, but certainly not all of them.
Now that's true of them, and if you read what Jesus said, (and believe in it) it's probably true.
I don't even know what that part means, so I can't address it.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »

Wait, so the churches of Christ, Nathan's church and BRTD's church don't believe that the world was created 6000 years ago in 7 literal days and that the vast majority of the population goes to hell?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 11:08:03 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2012, 11:12:37 AM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

I don't even know what that part means, so I can't address it.

It's a reference to the sermon given at the first Sunday of Advent where the guy giving it (who looks like the "orgcore" guy on that "scenesters" site by the way), compared the shepherds who were told by the angels of the birth of Jesus to us today because they were of "the 99%" and not some rich nobles that God could've just easily revealed this to. I doubt any such quoting happens at Southern Baptist churches, more likely you'll hear some Tea Party rhetoric nonsense.

I just remember it notably because that day I used it to explain to someone else on IM that just because they do faith healing rituals and talk about God sending visions and talking to individual people doesn't mean they're right wing fundies.

Wait, so the churches of Christ, Nathan's church and BRTD's church don't believe that the world was created 6000 years ago in 7 literal days and that the vast majority of the population goes to hell?

The churches of Christ probably do. I'm saying most people at mine and Nathan's churches don't.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 01:23:01 PM »

Why don't they believe the latter (majority of people going to hell)?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »

Why don't they believe the latter (majority of people going to hell)?

Because we dare hope.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »

Haha, what? Wow. I hear people say "f**k" and "sh!t" at church events all the time.
I think it's your church that's in the minority on this issue BRTD. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies