Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 10:46:46 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  United Ireland?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: Will there be a united Ireland in 2032?
Aint gonna happen   -26 (81.3%)
Yes - a confederation   -3 (9.4%)
Yes - a federal republic   -3 (9.4%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: United Ireland?  (Read 2215 times)
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 12:12:03 pm »
Ignore

My main reason for asking the question in this thread was, that I think a possible Scottish secession from the UK could open up the NI situation in a new way and make a NI/I confederation seem like the logical option to more people.

How do you think an independent Scotland would affect the attitudes in NI and the rest of UK?

The way I see it, a UK without Scotland would have little inclination to keep subsidizing NI, or would at least' cut these transfers substantially. That would remove much of the economic incentive to stay in the union.
Quite a few Scots still feel a bond with NI Unionists/Ulster Scots while most English don't really seem to care about NI.
And NI would be geographically removed from the rest of the UK, which would be even more preoccupied with English issues and priorities than the present UK.

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 12:52:18 pm »
Ignore

If Scotland were to cut it's ties with England, is there any chance Northern Ireland would rather go with Scotland and would Scotland be willing to take them if they did?

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 12:52:55 pm »
Ignore

If Scotland were to cut it's ties with England, is there any chance Northern Ireland would rather go with Scotland and would Scotland be willing to take them if they did?
No & no.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 08:50:14 pm »
Ignore

Well, this leaves one more option. Upon Scottish independence the United Kingdom gets disolved and the Kingdom of Northern Island becomes a separate member of the Commonwealth. Would that be possible? Again, conditional on Scottish independence actually prospering.

Курица - не птица, Болгария - не заграница.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 08:56:48 pm »
Ignore

Well, this leaves one more option. Upon Scottish independence the United Kingdom gets disolved and the Kingdom of Northern Island becomes a separate member of the Commonwealth. Would that be possible? Again, conditional on Scottish independence actually prospering.

No. Nobody is going to touch NI constitutional issues for a long time.. and with good reason.

Quote from: DarqWolff
I'm kind of tired of citing these examples and I'm guessing you're getting tired of reading them... In closing, the people who know me in real life all respect me, as do a great many people in the Reddit brony community

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'
ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 09:05:44 pm »
Ignore

No. Nobody is going to touch NI constitutional issues for a long time.. and with good reason.

Well, that might not be up to even the (Northern) Irish - or, for that matter, the English. If Scotland gets independence, the constitutional issues in the rest of the UK would have to be touched, wouldn't they? Even the decision to stay in the UK will not be exactly the decision to maintain status quo - it would be a very different UK.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 09:13:19 pm »
Ignore

Well, that might not be up to even the (Northern) Irish - or, for that matter, the English. If Scotland gets independence, the constitutional issues in the rest of the UK would have to be touched, wouldn't they? Even the decision to stay in the UK will not be exactly the decision to maintain status quo - it would be a very different UK.

The UK will be maintained regardless - it will just be the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Smiley

I'm kind of tired of citing these examples and I'm guessing you're getting tired of reading them... In closing, the people who know me in real life all respect me, as do a great many people in the Reddit brony community

You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 09:16:17 pm »
Ignore

The UK will be maintained regardless - it will just be the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Smiley

On paper, yes. You'll get obvious obvious suspects screaming "If they can be independent, why the hell can't we?" (Which, if you look at Scots Independence from that standpoint, it makes the whole idea appear the bit more silly than it already is.) Don't know if anything'd come of it though.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 09:18:24 pm »
Ignore

The economic situation - as well as other factors that don't need to be mentioned - will I think rule out the prospect of Welsh and NI independence in the short to medium term. I mean, despite Plaid Cymru, the actual idea of Welsh independence has never garnered that much support and I think we can rule NI independence out for the obvious reasons.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2012, 10:31:15 pm »
Ignore

the actual idea of Welsh independence has never garnered that much support

The technical term often being 'single digit'.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 10:37:48 pm »
Ignore

The economic situation - as well as other factors that don't need to be mentioned - will I think rule out the prospect of Welsh and NI independence in the short to medium term. I mean, despite Plaid Cymru, the actual idea of Welsh independence has never garnered that much support and I think we can rule NI independence out for the obvious reasons.

NI Independence is actually one of the more hilarious thoughts I've heard recently.  Move over, Moldova, the "Republic of Ulster" (minus Donegal) is here to take the role of Europe's Third World.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Carlos Danger
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 11:02:04 pm »
Ignore

Doesn't that require upgrading Wales to Kingdom status?  (Which would undoubtedly trigger a minor civil war between the Welsh and Daily Mail readers).

politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 05:36:13 am »
Ignore

Doesn't that require upgrading Wales to Kingdom status?  (Which would undoubtedly trigger a minor civil war between the Welsh and Daily Mail readers).
Wales has been part of the kingdom of England since the Act of Union in 1536. But I suppose the Welsh would want to be mentioned as a separate entity if there is no Great Britain.

NI Independence is actually one of the more hilarious thoughts I've heard recently.  Move over, Moldova, the "Principality of Ulster" (minus Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan) is here to take the role of Europe's Third World.
Fixed

All in all I think Scottish secession will open up the constitutional debate in both Britain and NI, and the NI unionists will face a tough choice between being emotional and staying as a completely marginalised part of an English state that doesn't care about them and joining some form of Irish confederation where their voice actually will count.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:02:29 am by politicus »Logged

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 06:21:52 am »
Ignore

NI Independence is actually one of the more hilarious thoughts I've heard recently.  Move over, Moldova, the "Republic of Ulster" (minus Donegal) is here to take the role of Europe's Third World.

There is no way an independent NI would become a republic except over a lot of dead bodies. Here, I would like to remind people that the only people throughout the entire violence of the 1970s and 1980s who advocated NI independence (and had some popular support) were some of the hardline "unionist" (ironic, no?) organizations who basically wanted to turn NI into an all white but sectarian based version of South Africa.

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 10:57:55 am »
Ignore

NI Independence is actually one of the more hilarious thoughts I've heard recently.  Move over, Moldova, the "Principality of Ulster" (minus Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan) is here to take the role of Europe's Third World.
Fixed

In the British Peerage, Ulster is an Earldom, not a Principality.

All in all I think Scottish secession will open up the constitutional debate in both Britain and NI, and the NI unionists will face a tough choice between being emotional and staying as a completely marginalised part of an English state that doesn't care about them and joining some form of Irish confederation where their voice actually will count.  

That's pretty much one of Sinn Féin's arguments as is. I don't see P Robinson et al biting.

Funny 'cause it's true:
Very few people seriously allow facts to affect their opinions.

politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 11:08:48 am »
Ignore

Fixed
In the British Peerage, Ulster is an Earldom, not a Principality.

Sure. But if it were to become independent you would have to upgrade the title a bit Wink

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 04:43:45 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, I mean, Gormenghast is a Kingdom ruled by Earls, and would an independent Northern Ireland really make that much more sense or be that much better off? Tongue

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 05:53:29 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, I mean, Gormenghast is a Kingdom ruled by Earls, and would an independent Northern Ireland really make that much more sense or be that much better off? Tongue
You have a way of putting things in perspective Smiley
Nah, I think most of us can agree that an independent NI doesn't make much sense. But it could work as an entity in an Irish confederation with common fiscal policies, infrastructure, defence and foreign relations. 

ingemann
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 06:23:12 pm »
Ignore

Honestly as long as EU is around North Ireland, Wales and Scotland are quite viable as independent states. While North Ireland is in the lower end of the scale of country size of EU, it would be slightly smaller than Slovenia and slightly bigger than Estonia, countries which has shown themselves to be quite viable and have done better than a lot of their bigger neighbours.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 03:28:42 pm »
Ignore

Why would anyone assume that NI would be a viable state if it left the UK? It wouldn't merely be the economy which would be an issue (though, as it is, NI is an economic dependency of her Majesty's Treasury).

oakvale
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 03:33:40 pm »
Ignore

An independent Northern Ireland would easily be in the running for the worst country in Europe.

Seriously, go die in a ditch, anti-semitic scumbag.
ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 08:28:16 pm »
Ignore

Well, in any case, the rump UK would, for all practicaly purposes, be the Greater England, in which Wales and Northern Ireland would, at best, be "autonomous entities" of sorts. While it may be possible, the nature of the UK would change radically

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 08:42:17 pm »
Ignore

Well, in any case, the rump UK would, for all practicaly purposes, be the Greater England, in which Wales and Northern Ireland would, at best, be "autonomous entities" of sorts. While it may be possible, the nature of the UK would change radically

NI already is for all intents and purposes an "autonomous entity of sorts". Of course it was even more autonomous once, between 1920 and 1973. That didn't work out well.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2012, 09:15:07 pm »
Ignore

After 1973, it was essentially a colony, wasn't it? It wasn't as though Northern Ireland had much real say over the government that ruled it.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 09:18:25 pm »
Ignore

Well, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland took over the posh house that used to be home to the Governor of Northern Ireland, so...

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout