United Ireland? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:15:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Ireland? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will there be a united Ireland in 2032?
Aint gonna happen

Yes - a confederation

Yes - a federal republic

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: United Ireland?  (Read 6522 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: April 09, 2012, 01:13:18 PM »

I would like to just point out that while nobody from Northern Ireland has posted in this thread (or, as far as I know, on this forum, ever) the two people from the Republic have made an interesting point that everybody else has ignored. Though I'm not sure it is literally true, there is obviously a lot of truth to it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 01:22:19 PM »

I do agree it's somewhat unlikely West Germans would still have *wanted* reunification if a longish period of democratic rule in the East and some kind of Good Friday equivalent had gone beforehand.
As it was, the Right wanted it and the Left didn't know what it was wanting (and showed noticeably reduced turnout in the 1990 elections as a result; including the bobo kinds of leftie that always vote).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »

If Scotland were to cut it's ties with England, is there any chance Northern Ireland would rather go with Scotland and would Scotland be willing to take them if they did?
No & no.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:56:57 PM »

...as that made it easy to paint them as just another talkshop and waste of taxpayer money.
The fact that a referendum actually went ahead despite a complete lack of establishment enthusiasm for the idea really says more than the actual results. Then again, there's a reason the Northeast was the place that had a referendum. Can you imagine the spectacle of a pilot referendum in the government's definition of the "Southeast"? Cheesy

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies