Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 01:09:38 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  A Romney Administration would have military conflicts with...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: A Romney Administration would have military conflicts with...
Afghanistan   -21 (17.4%)
Pakistan   -11 (9.1%)
Iran   -20 (16.5%)
Syria   -13 (10.7%)
Iraq   -11 (9.1%)
Lebanon   -6 (5%)
Palestine   -13 (10.7%)
Russia   -7 (5.8%)
Venezuela   -8 (6.6%)
North Korea   -11 (9.1%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: A Romney Administration would have military conflicts with...  (Read 826 times)
Jacobtm
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:07:28 pm »
Ignore

Who would he mess with?

Why do so many people here cheer on war crimes?
Israel and the United States "killing dozens of civilians with explosives", as you phrase it, has, throughout history, almost always been a good thing.
Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:12:33 pm »
Ignore

All of the above.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:05:12 pm »
Ignore

All of the above.

True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:45:21 pm »

Romney may be a spineless poll-driven politician, but I don't think he's a total idiot.  I think he is is smart enough to realize that there is a difference between being in the Oval Office and on the campaign trail.  I think he is intelligent to know that once started and the drag of continued combat happens, the public loses its appetite for the war it thought would be a quick and easy contest.  So I don't expect he would start a war with any of the listed options, as none of them would be quick and easy, tho he would back Israel to the hilt if a fight with Iran broke out.

If he goes and invades some place, I expect he'll go for his own version of Grenada. A small country that he could reasonably present as in need of American intervention to restore freedom and which the U.S. could overwhelm with ease.  The Maldives and Fiji come to mind as possibilities.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:50:19 pm by Cheesy Grits »Logged

Daily Reflections on the Revised Common Lectionary

Bible thumping kept to a minimum unless you go to sleep!
The below comic stars me!
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:00:13 pm »
Ignore

Romney may be a spineless poll-driven politician, but I don't think he's a total idiot.  I think he is is smart enough to realize that there is a difference between being in the Oval Office and on the campaign trail.  I think is intelligent to know that once started and the drag of continued combat happens, the public loses its appetite for the war it thought would be a quick and easy contest.  So I don't expect he would start a war with any of the listed options, as none of them would be quick and easy, tho he would back Israel to the hilt if a fight with Iran broke out.

If he goes and invades some place, I expect he'll go for his own version of Grenada. A small country that he could reasonably present as in need of American intervention to restore freedom and which the U.S. could overwhelm with ease.  The Maldives and Fiji come to mind as possibilities.

So a moderate hero invasion? How about Transnistria? They have a terrible Freedom House score and aren't recognized by anyone.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:01:44 pm by ○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└ »Logged
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:56:38 pm »

So a moderate hero invasion? How about Transnistria? They have a terrible Freedom House score and aren't recognized by anyone.

They may not be officially recognized, but there are some 1200 Russian "peacekeepers" there, so no way.

Daily Reflections on the Revised Common Lectionary

Bible thumping kept to a minimum unless you go to sleep!
The below comic stars me!
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:57:37 pm »
Ignore

I'll grant the executive branch has more powers that it needs or was intended to have, especially in regards to war, but really, he can't just roll out of bed one morning and say, "I'm bored, lets invade Venezuela!".  The answer(s) (whatever they would be) to this poll are the same answers no matter who wins in November.

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Reginald

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:55:53 am »
Ignore

This is all subject to change of course, but only Afghanistan is my guess, because that's the status quo and I sincerely doubt that Romney is going to want to deviate too far from it in the end. I imagine the prospect of reelection will altogether trump any major risk-taking. I also think that assuming President Romney would hold the same views as the Romney of the primaries is hilarious, given who we're talking about here.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:33:23 am »
Ignore

This is all subject to change of course, but only Afghanistan is my guess, because that's the status quo and I sincerely doubt that Romney is going to want to deviate too far from it in the end. I imagine the prospect of reelection will altogether trump any major risk-taking. I also think that assuming President Romney would hold the same views as the Romney of the primaries is hilarious, given who we're talking about here.
Romney will be pushing 70 in January 2017, so maybe he will be satisfied with one term. He will have a tough job ahead of him and the economic crisis will probably still be a factor and make it hard to get reelected.
I think Romney will be more committed to finishing the job in Afghanistan than Obama and slightly more likely to assist Israel in an airstrike against Iran. Otherwise I see no major differences. No other wars unless there is an attack on the US or an ally like South Korea.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:48:45 am by politicus »Logged

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

Winston Churchill

"While I am a great believer in the free enterprise system and all that it entails, I am an even stronger believer in the right of our people to live in a clean and pollution-free environment."

Barry Goldwater

The way 90% of Atlas threads end up:
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 03:32:31 pm »
Ignore

Bernie would probably win Vermont if Obama were deemed to have more than 272 evs in the vag.
Reginald

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 04:26:56 pm »
Ignore

Romney will be pushing 70 in January 2017, so maybe he will be satisfied with one term. He will have a tough job ahead of him and the economic crisis will probably still be a factor and make it hard to get reelected.

True, perhaps he will, especially since the base will presumably still have issues with him. What I was getting at is merely my impression that Romney's more interested in the title than he is in all the work that comes along with it, so I'd imagine he'd be quite risk-averse.
Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 05:16:43 pm »
Ignore

Romney may be a spineless poll-driven politician, but I don't think he's a total idiot.  I think he is is smart enough to realize that there is a difference between being in the Oval Office and on the campaign trail.  I think is intelligent to know that once started and the drag of continued combat happens, the public loses its appetite for the war it thought would be a quick and easy contest.  So I don't expect he would start a war with any of the listed options, as none of them would be quick and easy, tho he would back Israel to the hilt if a fight with Iran broke out.

I'm planning to visit Transnistria next summer, btw.

Badger
badger
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 09:49:23 pm »

I'm planning to visit Transnistria next summer, btw.

Did you lose a bet?
Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 10:50:01 pm »
Ignore

He's not John McCain, guys.

Jacobtm
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 02:28:07 am »
Ignore

he can't just roll out of bed one morning and say, "I'm bored, lets invade Venezuela!". 

Of course not. It takes months and months of planned villanizing of the country, false accusations, and grandiose declarations about the future of freedom and democracy before you can go to war.

But y'know, Islamic Terrorism, Chavez is Friends with Ahmadenijad, FARC, Islam in South America is a Huge Problem, After All.

Israel and the United States "killing dozens of civilians with explosives", as you phrase it, has, throughout history, almost always been a good thing.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 02:57:19 am »
Ignore

You forgot about the sharia law that is coming to America.

Please Senators, don't let the Russians, a folk of alcoholic homophobic, take Crimee
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 02:58:09 am »
Ignore

he can't just roll out of bed one morning and say, "I'm bored, lets invade Venezuela!". 

Of course not. It takes months and months of planned villanizing of the country, false accusations, and grandiose declarations about the future of freedom and democracy before you can go to war.

But y'know, Islamic Terrorism, Chavez is Friends with Ahmadenijad, FARC, Islam in South America is a Huge Problem, After All.
Or years and years and sometimes we never "get" to invade the countries we "want to invade" (see Iran, N.Korea, Pakistan, Venezuela, Cuba, Syria, Sudan, Congo).

The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 12:09:48 pm »
Ignore

Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Syria, Iraq, Palestine, and maybe Lebanon.

lawlz
The Kingfish
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 05:43:33 pm »
Ignore

Probably not many, since Romney probably wouldn't want to ruin his re-election chances.

Jacobtm
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:29 pm »
Ignore

Or years and years and sometimes we never "get" to invade the countries we "want to invade" (see Iran, N.Korea, Pakistan, Venezuela, Cuba, Syria, Sudan, Congo).

Are you being sarcastic?

Iran - we toppled their democratically elected government

N. Korea - Obviously we invaded Korea and still maintain troops in the South. The North just beat us back is all.

Pakistan - we have our troops there, killing whoever we want, including Pakistani military. They just consented so we wouldn't have to topple them to make it happen.

Venezuela - Clinton backed a short-lived coup against Chavez

Cuba - Bay of Pigs invasion

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:53 pm »
Ignore

I don't remember typing any of that...weird.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 03:25:16 am »
Ignore

He's not John McCain, guys.
Yeah, John McCain didn't want to double Guantanamo.

" But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson WV SBE v Barnette
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout