A Romney Administration would have military conflicts with...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:29:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A Romney Administration would have military conflicts with...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: A Romney Administration would have military conflicts with...
Afghanistan

Pakistan

Iran

Syria

Iraq

Lebanon

Palestine

Russia

Venezuela

North Korea

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: A Romney Administration would have military conflicts with...  (Read 2488 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »

Who would he mess with?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »

All of the above.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:05:12 PM »

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:45:21 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2012, 11:50:19 PM by Cheesy Grits »

Romney may be a spineless poll-driven politician, but I don't think he's a total idiot.  I think he is is smart enough to realize that there is a difference between being in the Oval Office and on the campaign trail.  I think he is intelligent to know that once started and the drag of continued combat happens, the public loses its appetite for the war it thought would be a quick and easy contest.  So I don't expect he would start a war with any of the listed options, as none of them would be quick and easy, tho he would back Israel to the hilt if a fight with Iran broke out.

If he goes and invades some place, I expect he'll go for his own version of Grenada. A small country that he could reasonably present as in need of American intervention to restore freedom and which the U.S. could overwhelm with ease.  The Maldives and Fiji come to mind as possibilities.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:00:13 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2012, 11:01:44 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Romney may be a spineless poll-driven politician, but I don't think he's a total idiot.  I think he is is smart enough to realize that there is a difference between being in the Oval Office and on the campaign trail.  I think is intelligent to know that once started and the drag of continued combat happens, the public loses its appetite for the war it thought would be a quick and easy contest.  So I don't expect he would start a war with any of the listed options, as none of them would be quick and easy, tho he would back Israel to the hilt if a fight with Iran broke out.

If he goes and invades some place, I expect he'll go for his own version of Grenada. A small country that he could reasonably present as in need of American intervention to restore freedom and which the U.S. could overwhelm with ease.  The Maldives and Fiji come to mind as possibilities.

So a moderate hero invasion? How about Transnistria? They have a terrible Freedom House score and aren't recognized by anyone.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »

So a moderate hero invasion? How about Transnistria? They have a terrible Freedom House score and aren't recognized by anyone.

They may not be officially recognized, but there are some 1200 Russian "peacekeepers" there, so no way.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:57:37 PM »

I'll grant the executive branch has more powers that it needs or was intended to have, especially in regards to war, but really, he can't just roll out of bed one morning and say, "I'm bored, lets invade Venezuela!".  The answer(s) (whatever they would be) to this poll are the same answers no matter who wins in November.
Reginald
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:55:53 AM »

This is all subject to change of course, but only Afghanistan is my guess, because that's the status quo and I sincerely doubt that Romney is going to want to deviate too far from it in the end. I imagine the prospect of reelection will altogether trump any major risk-taking. I also think that assuming President Romney would hold the same views as the Romney of the primaries is hilarious, given who we're talking about here.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:33:23 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2012, 07:48:45 AM by politicus »

This is all subject to change of course, but only Afghanistan is my guess, because that's the status quo and I sincerely doubt that Romney is going to want to deviate too far from it in the end. I imagine the prospect of reelection will altogether trump any major risk-taking. I also think that assuming President Romney would hold the same views as the Romney of the primaries is hilarious, given who we're talking about here.
Romney will be pushing 70 in January 2017, so maybe he will be satisfied with one term. He will have a tough job ahead of him and the economic crisis will probably still be a factor and make it hard to get reelected.
I think Romney will be more committed to finishing the job in Afghanistan than Obama and slightly more likely to assist Israel in an airstrike against Iran. Otherwise I see no major differences. No other wars unless there is an attack on the US or an ally like South Korea.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 03:32:31 PM »

Reginald
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »

Romney will be pushing 70 in January 2017, so maybe he will be satisfied with one term. He will have a tough job ahead of him and the economic crisis will probably still be a factor and make it hard to get reelected.

True, perhaps he will, especially since the base will presumably still have issues with him. What I was getting at is merely my impression that Romney's more interested in the title than he is in all the work that comes along with it, so I'd imagine he'd be quite risk-averse.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »

Romney may be a spineless poll-driven politician, but I don't think he's a total idiot.  I think he is is smart enough to realize that there is a difference between being in the Oval Office and on the campaign trail.  I think is intelligent to know that once started and the drag of continued combat happens, the public loses its appetite for the war it thought would be a quick and easy contest.  So I don't expect he would start a war with any of the listed options, as none of them would be quick and easy, tho he would back Israel to the hilt if a fight with Iran broke out.

I'm planning to visit Transnistria next summer, btw.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »

I'm planning to visit Transnistria next summer, btw.

Did you lose a bet?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 10:50:01 PM »

He's not John McCain, guys.
Jacobtm

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 02:28:07 AM »

he can't just roll out of bed one morning and say, "I'm bored, lets invade Venezuela!". 

Of course not. It takes months and months of planned villanizing of the country, false accusations, and grandiose declarations about the future of freedom and democracy before you can go to war.

But y'know, Islamic Terrorism, Chavez is Friends with Ahmadenijad, FARC, Islam in South America is a Huge Problem, After All.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 02:57:19 AM »

You forgot about the sharia law that is coming to America.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 02:58:09 AM »

he can't just roll out of bed one morning and say, "I'm bored, lets invade Venezuela!". 

Of course not. It takes months and months of planned villanizing of the country, false accusations, and grandiose declarations about the future of freedom and democracy before you can go to war.

But y'know, Islamic Terrorism, Chavez is Friends with Ahmadenijad, FARC, Islam in South America is a Huge Problem, After All.
Or years and years and sometimes we never "get" to invade the countries we "want to invade" (see Iran, N.Korea, Pakistan, Venezuela, Cuba, Syria, Sudan, Congo).
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 12:09:48 PM »

Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Syria, Iraq, Palestine, and maybe Lebanon.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »

Probably not many, since Romney probably wouldn't want to ruin his re-election chances.
Jacobtm

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:29 PM »

Or years and years and sometimes we never "get" to invade the countries we "want to invade" (see Iran, N.Korea, Pakistan, Venezuela, Cuba, Syria, Sudan, Congo).

Are you being sarcastic?

Iran - we toppled their democratically elected government

N. Korea - Obviously we invaded Korea and still maintain troops in the South. The North just beat us back is all.

Pakistan - we have our troops there, killing whoever we want, including Pakistani military. They just consented so we wouldn't have to topple them to make it happen.

Venezuela - Clinton backed a short-lived coup against Chavez

Cuba - Bay of Pigs invasion
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:53 PM »

I don't remember typing any of that...weird.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 03:25:16 AM »

Yeah, John McCain didn't want to double Guantanamo.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies